Bulletproof Red Ink That Doesn't Feather?

Dangles

I recently purchased 1 oz. of Noodler's Red Fox ink use in an old Lamy Safari I haven't used in a while.

I chose this ink due to it's crimson color, bulletproof qualities , and rave reviews on these forums. However, I was incredibly disappointed by the amount of feathering it produced. Granted, Lamy nibs are notoriously large (the EF writes like a M), but the ink is so watery and bleedy that I simply cannot use it.

How can a universally praised ink perform so poorly? Is this the case for all red inks? Are there any reds that write tight, solid lines?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dangles

• Icywolfe

• cellmatrix

• Jimmy Joe

There are a lot of products being praised profusely here on FPN, but its always good to try to find whether there is supporting evidence to the claims (I guess I am not telling you anything you have not already learned the hard way). Anyway, in this case, if you do a little searching around, you will many others have had major feathering problems with Red Fox and unfortunately I am afraid you may not find a waterproof Noodlers ink that does not feather somewhat, at least in the red category.

edit to add: here is an extensive discussion about noodlers red fox and feathering issues.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/175289-noodlers-eternal-red-fox-bad-batch/

Edited by cellmatrix

Wouldn't another choice be "Platinum Pigmented Rose Red" but that is pigmented. Personally I only used Carbon black that is not red.

#Nope

I need a red for grading assignments (I'm a grad student that occassionly TA's for his advisor) and had a spare Lamy Safari that wasn't in use so I thought I would venture out of blues and blacks and buy a red ink. Too bad it turned out this way. Myabe I will have to stick with gel ballpoints for red work.

I know it's extremely hard to come by, but look for a red camel ink in ebay/elsewhere.

Doesn't bleed on newspaper with western F nib, and even if it does, it's dirt cheap.

I dont recall if it's pigmented (am in office right now :D ).

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

Thanks for the Camel Red suggestion. I read this review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/148938-ink-review-scarlet-red-by-camel/

It looks pretty solid even on a feather-nightmare of a notepad, but I'm guessing it is not bulletproof (not as much of a concern though since I'm only using it for grading). The hue is a bit more on the cooler side (I prefer a deep crimson towards the warmer side of the spectrum), but since it's only 4 bucks on eBay, I may give it a shot.

I use Noodler's Fox on a daily basis. Never had it feather. Just checked it on newsprint and cheap Mead notebook paper, no feathering at all with only the slightest bleed through. I'm using it in a Waterman Kultur with a fine nib.

Edited by Tasmith

Wouldn't another choice be "Platinum Pigmented Rose Red" but that is pigmented. Personally I only used Carbon black that is not red.

from this review, it looks like Pigmented Rose Red is both very waterproof and non-feathering.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/192283-platinum-pigment-rose-red/

I've not used the platinum pigment inks, but I've used the blue-black sailor pigment ink, and it is quite nice, no feathering at all, and just as bulletproof as any ink out there, very low maintenance too.

Edited by cellmatrix

I've found Noodler's Empire Red works great without feathering.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

I need a red for grading assignments (I'm a grad student that occassionly TA's for his advisor) and had a spare Lamy Safari that wasn't in use so I thought I would venture out of blues and blacks and buy a red ink. Too bad it turned out this way. Myabe I will have to stick with gel ballpoints for red work.

Why does your red need to by waterproof, let alone bulletproof, for grading assignments? I am a teacher, and I grade in red. I use a fountain pen, but all I care about is that the ink performs well on the cheap paper the district uses. I have Fox Red, and it is horrible in this regard. Skrip Red is my go-to grading ink, though I'm going to try a few others this fall. The marks I make on the paper do not need to be indestructible. They are feedback for the students, not some sort of permanent record. That is all done on computer.

If you are looking for a red for grading or marking on cheap paper, there are more than a few of them if you search.

I use Red Fox quite a lot for grading. The pen of choice is a Lamy ABC, but I'm not sure what the nib size is. But, I'll also admit that once I use up this bottle, I won't get another one. It's underwhelming and I don't see a need for its special properties.

If you limit yourself to bulletproof, you may not find it. However, if you are open to other reds or to other colors, there are a lot more options. For example, Noodler's Black Swan in English Rose is reddish and partly bulletproof. In the non-bulletproof world, Waterman, Parker, and Sheaffer are supposed to behave well on lower quality paper.

If you can get beyond red for correcting, there are a number of bulletproof options in several brands which will stand out on paper.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I'm a tad curious there too, I use Noodler's Fox daily in a fine-nib Parker 51 for marking up drawings, with great results. No more feathering than any other ink, I wouldn't call it *great* at resisting feather on cheap paper, but I certainly wouldn't call it any worse than Noodler's Black or other common, good-performing inks.

Is your old Safari possessed of an unusually wet, or a broad nib? Perhaps that would make a difference...

I too have Empire Red. It's not the red of the British Empire. But, it does stay on the page when dry. Might try a sample of it. I personally regret having bought my bottle of it, but if you want a red that's about as durable as a red ink will be, it's an okay choice. Empire red is one *UGLY* ink when dry. Never tried the Platinum pigmented red.

My other inks, Poppy Red by Diamine and QSH by Noodler's both feather badly on much of what we now have at the office.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I grade hundreds of papers a month and I use Diamine Matador. Why does the ink need to be bulletproof? Seems overkill and expensive tbh unless you are marking in a hazardous environment.

I grade hundreds of papers a month and I use Diamine Matador. Why does the ink need to be bulletproof? Seems overkill and expensive tbh unless you are marking in a hazardous environment.

I think it's due to kids trying to change the grade.

Even in College I see my classmates trying to change the wrong answers marked by me (It's peer grading, you exchange papers with a classmate and the teacher says the answers and you/they mark the incorrect.) I see my classmates with the pen erasing erasers. Once they tried to erase my Noodler's black, they are so smart with this method they even use some water drops to weaken the Ball point inks. Unfortunately for them Noodler's Black is a B to remove once it hits cellulose.

#Nope

They can change what I wrote on their papers all they want. They are in no way changing their grades. Those have already been recorded before they are handed back.

Even in College I see my classmates trying to change the wrong answers marked by me (It's peer grading, you exchange papers with a classmate and the teacher says the answers and you/they mark the incorrect.) I see my classmates with the pen erasing erasers. Once they tried to erase my Noodler's black, they are so smart with this method they even use some water drops to weaken the Ball point inks. Unfortunately for them Noodler's Black is a B to remove once it hits cellulose.

All grades are entered into the database and a copy of the original marked paper is kept on file. For peer marking I can understand but for a TA correcting papers all the marks are going to be kept on record. I've been correcting papers for nearly two years and have never had any issue with people changing grades.

Well my professors allowed us to keep the paper for a day before they will enter to the system. That is for peer corrections mostly and small quizzes. Tests are scantrons.

#Nope