Platinum #3776 Century Nice - Is It Nice Or Nice?

cultpens

When we were first told about the new limited edition Platinum #3776 Century pen, the Nice, we wondered the same thing we'd always wondered with the biscuits of the same name. Was it a nice pen, or was it named after Nice in the south of France? The name had always seemed appropriate for the biscuits, but perhaps a little less so for the pen. The biscuits are exactly what they say on them - nice. Not wonderful, and not the most delicious biscuits out there, but definitely nice. The #3776 Century Nice seems a bit more than just nice.

http://www.cultpens.com/imgs/products/cp/950_constW/PT40381-ZZZ~Platinum-3776-Century-Fountain-Pen-Nice-Limited-Edition_P1.jpg

A little reading on Wikipedia answered the question about the biscuits. Although there is still some disagreement on the origin of the name, they do seem to be named after the French city, and were at once time stamped with 'Nizza', the old Italian name for the city.

http://www.cultpens.com/files/cp/imagelibrary/social/FPN/nice-biscuit.jpg

The answer is the same for the pen. The warm golden tint of the rose gold trim and nib, combined with the clear matt barrel, represent the white waves washing in on the hot sand on the beaches of Nice. As a limited edition of only 2000 pens worldwide, we think it's going to be popular. The unusual frosted finish with a series of incised lines along the length of the pen make it rather more interesting than most clear pens.

http://www.cultpens.com/imgs/products/cp/950_constW/PT40381~Platinum-3776-Century-Fountain-Pen-Nice-Limited-Edition_DTL5_P3.jpg

Because it's a #3776 Century pen, the Nice has the same advantages as the rest of the range, including their top-quality nibs and the innovative Slip and Seal system that ensures the cap really makes a good seal around the nib unit so the pen doesn't dry out when it's not being used. Slip and Seal pens are even safe to use with Platinum's permanent Carbon Ink - a pigmented ink that would be risky to use with other fountain pens.

http://www.cultpens.com/files/cp/imagelibrary/social/FPN/nice-beach.jpg

(Image by James Rhodes on Flickr)

If the Nice sounds nice to you, we have them in stock now at Cult Pens. Why not consider it over a cup of tea and a nice Nice biscuit? Read reviews by tinysnail and Hennypenny, then head over to our site to order one.

http://www.cultpens.com/imgs/products/cp/950_constW/PT40381~Platinum-3776-Century-Fountain-Pen-Nice-Limited-Edition_DTL4_P3.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cultpens

• RMN

• The Blue Knight

• tinysnail

Any plans of offering ink sampling any time soon?

Not something we're likely to offer any time soon - sorry. We'll supply small bottles where the manufacturer offers them, like Diamine's handy 30ml bottles. Transferring ink from standard bottles into lots of tiny sample bottles is far too risky with an excitable spaniel in the office - there'd be ink everywhere, and a very colourful spaniel.

For your information: Here in the Netherlands the cookies are still selling as Nizza, by Verkade. Seem to be popular.

As for the pen: it looks plastic (or resin, sounds better, nothing about plastics, most of my pens are plastic) it is probably very light, so not comfortable for me. I seem to be able to better direct a pen over the paper if it has more heft.

Looks nice though.... ;)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Oh, wow! Thanks for linking my review! :)

As for the pen: it looks plastic (or resin, sounds better, nothing about plastics, most of my pens are plastic) it is probably very light, so not comfortable for me. I seem to be able to better direct a pen over the paper if it has more heft.

Looks nice though.... ;)

It's a surprisingly heavy pen because of the trim, but you're right– the fact that it is mainly *resin* does make it quite light. 10g body, 10g cap, compared to 10g body, 7g cap for the Lamy Safari, say. It feels weird to write with posted because the balance is all wrong, so it's especially light unposted. I like it that way, but it's not for everyone!

And it does look reaaaaal nice/Nice!

Edited by tinysnail

I have the others in this range and was planning to pass on this one. How many pens (& demonstrators) can one person use? However, I'm sorely tempted by this thanks to your photos and comments. I'm also finding myself attracted to the white TWSBI Mini with rose gold trim even though I swore I'd never buy another TWSBI. None of this is helped by Cult Pens as their turnaround time and delivery to Australia is fantastic. *heavy sigh*

Oh dear...

I have to say though that I think Nice biscuits are horrible, so no temptation there.

3 months since I've purchased a new pen...Don't make me break that streak, please. Really tempted to add this to my Bourgugne and Blue.

I must say I'm being very tempted by this one. I have an Omas Ogiva Vision and love that pen. Soooooo---I'm leaning toward the Nice like the Tower of Pisa.

The style of this pen reminds me of Le Negresco, an emblematic hotel in Nice... Too shiny and too pink for me (the pen, too expensive the hotel!), but to each his own.

Frontage-Le-Negresco-Nice-5-star_1200.60

http://cdn4.agoda.net/hotelimages/232/2323/2323_0912190846001952900_STD.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 3 weeks later...