Sailor Jentle Ink Doyou (Mid-Summer) Review

lgsoltek

I've just purchased a bottle of Sailor Jentle Ink called "Doyou" which means mid-summer in Japanese. It's one of the eight inks of their "Colours of Four Seasons" line. Many people like Oku-yama and Yama-dori of this line, and this Doyou one is relatively rare and I was not able to find many reviews of it. I want a darker colour but not totally (boring) black, so I went for Doyou. This is my first review (here or anywhere). I hope I've done it right.

It comes with a 50ml bottle with a "reservoir": flip the bottle upside-down before inking the pen and the ink will stay in a small "cone" which makes it easier to fill.

post-113900-0-53468500-1407315810_thumb.jpg

When written with a finer nib, Doyou is a dark brown colour which could be mistaken as black without side-by-side comparison with a black ink. But if you look carefully you'll see it's a warm brown with a hint of red. This may refer to the colour of land in a hot summer day I guess? I think it's an understated colour suitable for work if you don't want to use a boring black. It dries fairly fast, no feathering or bleedthrough on Rhodia paper. With fine nibs there is virtually no shading though. It's a rather wet ink in my Pilot VP. The swabs show a less darker colour with a tiny bit shading. In the smear test I ran a wet finger across it twice. It leaves a red-brownish trace and you can still see the lines very clearly. The drip test shows that it has quite a decent waterproofness. All in all I think I quite like this ink.

post-113900-0-95038700-1407315843_thumb.jpg

I don't have a black ink at hand for comparison, so I used the darkest (the least bright) colour available to me, which is R&K Salix, for a comparison. I have also a few words in R&K Scabiosa in my "ink journal" so I took a picture of it and put it side by side with Doyou as a comparison. Scabiosa has more of a purple hint to it.

post-113900-0-05366700-1407315846_thumb.jpg

This is my first review and any suggestion or advice is welcomed!

Some close-ups:

post-113900-0-17871700-1407315837_thumb.jpg

post-113900-0-24879600-1407315834_thumb.jpg

post-113900-0-24089500-1407315827_thumb.jpg

post-113900-0-29628300-1407315831_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• amberleadavis

• christinaofvermont

• cello

I'm glad to finally see a current review of this ink...thank you for posting yours!

There's a lot of good information here. It looks like a good performer in a Pilot VP. I've been looking for something subtle enough for workaday daily use in my own VP, but with a touch of specialness to it.

This tips the balance for me. Thanks again!

I like this ink too. One negative for me: it seems pretty hard to clean out of pens.

I'm glad to finally see a current review of this ink...thank you for posting yours!

There's a lot of good information here. It looks like a good performer in a Pilot VP. I've been looking for something subtle enough for workaday daily use in my own VP, but with a touch of specialness to it.

This tips the balance for me. Thanks again!

You are most welcome, Kristiina. I should add that it seems to showthrough quite a lot on cheap paper, no bleedthrough though.

You are most welcome, Kristiina. I should add that it seems to showthrough quite a lot on cheap paper, no bleedthrough though.

I can imagine showthrough might be an issue, seeing how it does in your example on Rhodia, which seems to stifle a lot of my own nib/ink combinations. Fortunately if I really like its performance otherwise, showthrough is an attribute I'm willing to work around. Also, that bit of resistance Doyou shows with drip/smear is interesting...

Nice detailed review...thank you!

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

• 3 months later...

Great review, thank you.
I fell in love with this gem in the summer and after spending hours yesterday trying out inks to marry my new Pilot Custom 912 PO nib with, finally settled on this.

Mmm . . . :)

• 1 year later...

I like the deep brown of this ink too. Just today loaded it into my Franklin Christoph 03 with a Matsuyama needle point nib. Almost indistinguishable from black ink, but softer. Nice ink for all the reasons listed!

Great review!

I missed this review previously. Thanks for doing it.

I love this ink. It somehow makes nibs feel so 'cushioned' as they write. It's what I judge all other inks against with regards to lubrication on the paper.

I was intrigued by @annettefhorn's comment about it being hard to clean. In my experience this is one of the easiest inks to clean out of a pen. It can initially look very gloopy, like it's going to cling, but a quick rinse and it's gone. A fill of Do-you has even cleaned-up previously stained converters.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Very nice review. I haven't tried this ink but have heard nothing but great things about it. I too have also heard that it is easier to clean, and even cleans stained converters, etc. I think I will have to pick up a bottle and try it out.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

And according to many, it really cleans out stains!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm posting this pic again to show what Doyou can do to stubborn stains:

fpn_1441527840__-2.jpg

Wow that is ..... amazing!!

BTW what's the ink that stained this pen?

Ah, the magic of cleaning inks!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 6 months later...

I purchased this ink based on its dark brownish blackish gorgeous-unlike-any-other-color quality alone. I received it yesterday; I was disappointed with the 1st few strokes, but after a line and a doodle, the brownish-blackish-unlike-any-other-color-Doyou-gorgeousness was suddenly there .

Having found these photos of the Lamy all that can be said is WOW!! Sailor Jentle Doyou ink is even more brilliant than I knew. Thank you for sharing the amazing success!

This is an amazing ink, and worthy of it's Sailor branding. A semi-unique color, and wonderful performance!

It falls into that family of inks that plays tricks on your eyes and mind. You write and think, oh it's XXX color, then you stop and think "wait..no it's XXX color!). I love this aspect of some inks!

Edited by cello