Colonel Jake

Looks very similar to my nib Jake. It took me a while to learn how to orient the oblique nib, but once you get the hang of it, you can achieve some very thin 45 degree lines. If you want to get the full impact of the line variation, try cursive italic or bookhand type of handwriting, I bet you would like it. Enjoy!

Appreciate the links! Will give it a try :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Colonel Jake

• cellmatrix

• OcalaFlGuy

• dave-

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I buy alot of 51`s in the UK and I have several examples exactly like that pen except nib not the same. They are very common here. The nib however is not common and people pay alot more for a nib like that.

Dont take it apart unless you have to, the hole in the end means it is not a early model with a silver breather tube that would need to be changed.

I really would not care at all what age or place it was made, the most vital thing is the nib and ink flow. Sometimes the nib is very worn out or ink cant flow fast enough in a fat nib. If both those things are fine then you can consider it a very good deal.

Dont take it apart unless you have to, the hole in the end means it is not a early model with a silver breather tube that would need to be changed.

What makes you think the early models of the Aero don't have Sterling breather tubes?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

What makes you think the early models of the Aero don't have Sterling breather tubes?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You must have read it wrong, I said its not an early model with the silver breather tube. Thats why I told him not to take it apart because there is no silver tube in his later 51. His pen has a hole in the barrel so it is a later 51 with plastic tube.

However it would be strongly advised to take the pen apart if it it was an early model. I took one apart today and the ink collector was full of shards of silver, the sac was full of bits and the pen had been taken apart by the idiot who sold it to me because he had not assembled it back properly.

quote Colonel Jake:
Appreciate the links! Will give it a try :)
end quote
​no problem, the book hand is especially easy to learn and its a nice first step towards writing italic.
Edited by cellmatrix

You must have read it wrong, I said its not an early model with the silver breather tube. Thats why I told him not to take it apart because there is no silver tube in his later 51. His pen has a hole in the barrel so it is a later 51 with plastic tube.

The earlier Aero 51s all had the hole at the end of the barrel. I have two 1948 51s and they both have the breather hole at the end of the barrel.

I believe all the Aero 51s did until 1960 when Parker moved the breather hole to the side of the barrel.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

The earlier Aero 51s all had the hole at the end of the barrel. I have two 1948 51s and they both have the breather hole at the end of the barrel.

I believe all the Aero 51s did until 1960 when Parker moved the breather hole to the side of the barrel.

Yes your right, I got the two mixed up sorry.

Thanks Dave and Florida for the feedback. Your experiences and knowledge of the P51, with regard to the unmarked barrels in the UK and the bottom breather hole, has helped temper my curiosity towards my pen.

It was just difficult to initially ignore the characteristics of the P51 in my hand and certain info i was reading about the pen, not coinciding with what i was seeing, not to mention, the lack of info on the characteristics of UK made pens and it's parts.

Thanks Dave and Florida for the feedback. Your experiences and knowledge of the P51, with regard to the unmarked barrels in the UK and the bottom breather hole, has helped temper my curiosity towards my pen.

It was just difficult to initially ignore the characteristics of the P51 in my hand and certain info i was reading about the pen, not coinciding with what i was seeing, not to mention, the lack of info on the characteristics of UK made pens and it's parts.

Watch out you might end up with too many of them

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag429/dave2614/062_zpsb65a23a8.jpg

Edited by dave-

Watch out you might end up with too many of them

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag429/dave2614/062_zpsb65a23a8.jpg

You can never have too many P51´s ;)

Yes your right, I got the two mixed up sorry.

No problem :) I get things wrong all the time.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.