Franklin-Christoph 19 Black With Cherry Ice Bands

thw

I came across Franklin Christoph when there was a review here about another FC beauty, Model 02 Intrinsic.

After checking up Franklin Christoph website for a while, I have settled for the 1901 model as I prefer big pens. I placed an order for the model 1901 Black with creme bands and a pen tray but the pen was out of stock. I was promptly informed by the sale department there would be a delay of 7 days before the pen was available again in all three colours. It was then I decided to go for the one with cherry ice bands.

I ordered the 18K Masuyama medium italic nib to go with the pen. The pen arrived to my work place three days later by Fed Ex after I received the dispatch notice from FC.

I opened the package and the pen box…

Appearance (9/10)

OMG…. Am I impressed by its look and quality…

The barrel is made of acrylic and not celluloid. It is smooth with a gloss shine. The two bands are not as bright as illustrated on FC website. Yes, the pen may look bland without the bands.

The pen comes with a clip with four small diamonds imprinted on it. The clip is stiff.

post-5382-0-57344100-1407229067_thumb.jpg

The top of the cap is flat and has the FP logo embossed on it.

post-5382-0-75499400-1407229104_thumb.jpg

There is also the name Franklin Christoph imprinted on the cap.

It takes three quarter turn to unscrew the cap.

This pen may not attract a lot of attention like a colourful celluloid pen but that is never my concern.

post-5382-0-36632500-1407228825_thumb.jpg

Weight and dimension (10/10)

I like to write without posting the cap. This is a pen that is not designed to be posted while writing. The barrel tapers towards the end. I have large hands (size 8 gloves) and this pen sits comfortably in my hand. It is a light pen and weighing in at 28.3g. You can get the pen dimensions here:

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/model-19-1901.html

The pen section is tapered towards the nib and makes it easy to hold and write for long hours.

The filling system (10/10):

The piston lovers may not agree with me…

The filling system is a cartridge converter. I have been a piston filler ‘fanboy’ for years until I have tried to clean my piston fillers recently and after watching a few youtube clips about replacing parts for piston filler.

In general, it is easier to clean a pen with cartridge converter. With a piston filler, I have to remove the nib and feed before flushing the ink chamber with water. That is not possible with all my piston fillers such as Montblanc or Montegrappa 1930. If the cartridge converter malfunctions, I can easily replace it with another.

The 1901 model has a good ink capacity and has a volume similar to a Pilot con 70. (As seen with a pilot Justus 95 in the photo below).

post-5382-0-86157500-1407228880_thumb.jpg

The nib (10/10)

…talking about the joy of writing. The nib is a Jowo with FC logo on it.

This nib produces a crisp italic. It is not a cursive italic. It has a smooth, medium flow. The italic nib is position sensitive and can catch the paper if I am holding the pen at an angle. This is typical of italic nib and makes it harder to use comparing to a stub or round nib. There is a bit of flex with this gold nib. This pen with the gold nib costs US100 more than the version with the steel nib. The nib unit can be easily replaced with another one. It also means cleaning of this pen is extremely easy.

The medium italic writes a line width of 0.8mm down stroke…

You may have seen my overview of stock 1.1 italic but this nib is in a different class of its own.

post-5382-0-66031200-1407228980_thumb.jpg

I have many pens with round nibs. This pen has instantly become my favourite daily writing pen.

post-5382-0-99817900-1407229017_thumb.jpg

Cost and value (10/10)

I paid US$300 including postage for this pen. This is perhaps the cheapest flagship model among many other flagship models in my collection. This pen however, comes with a customized nib as an option. That is just ‘icing on the cake’. I have to admit, it writes and feels better than a lot of other pens which cost twice as much as this pen.

The pen fits my hand perfectly and I do prefer the line width from this pen over my other pens with 1.1 italic.

Conclusion:

This is my first FC pen and won’t be the last. As I write this review, this model with cherry ice bands is out of stock.

My suggestion for those who are strictly devoted to piston fillers, your option is to get a piston filler with broad nib (like a Sailor Realo) before sending it to Mike for customization.

I am very happy with this pen.

Do I recommend it?

110%

Thank you for reading…

Enjoy!

Edited by thw

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thw

• chandelle

• smoores

• Barnaby Bumble

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree wholeheartedly with your review. I have the model with the white stripes, with a 0.9 cursive italic nib, and love it.

I too, have the 19, with cherry ice bands and loved it!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I have been looking at the FC pens for a few weeks now. I really like the way they look. Thanks for the excellent review and the photos.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I too, have the 19, with cherry ice bands and loved it!

I am glad you love your FC 19. I agree the cherry ice bands look great. Just imagine the whole pen is cherry ice...

I have been looking at the FC pens for a few weeks now. I really like the way they look. Thanks for the excellent review and the photos.

Thank you Antique..

This is quite a 'light' big pen. The pen is easy to hold and it writes as well as my other pens here..

post-5382-0-89226000-1407569621_thumb.jpg

The 1930 is about the same size as my Stipula Etruria or Montegrappa Extra 1930.

thx for the review. Nice you added a handwritten part!

Thanks for reading..

The beauty of this pen is the Masuyama nib….

You have to write it to experience it...

It is amazing!

Dear thw.

I'm glad you like your Model 19. I have two of these model 19's, creme band and smoke band.

I've been a huge fan of FC for many years and know both Scott and Jim on a personal level. Best folks in the industry to do business with.

Not only do they have great fountain pens (understated and classy is the underlying theme with all their products), their leather products, pen cases, portfolios are also very nice. They've also got awesome paper journals made of sugarcane pulp, resistant to bleed and feathering, and their inks also are good, although they're relatively new to paper and ink. (I'm beginning to sound like an FC commercial intermission, but truthfully I'm a huge fan of theirs)

I was on the fence about the cherry ice bands and I did express my hesitation to Scott about the red bands being a tad feminine. He assured me that they are a richer darker shade of red.

Your photos prove him right.

I still have the Kings Gold and Cherry Ice model 19's on my wish list. I think I will build my FC empire piece by piece, brick by brick.

My current list of FC models is the following:

Model 01: "IPO"

Model 02: "Intrinsic" Black with Maroon Finial

Model 03: "Iterum" Black with Maroon Disk

Model 19: "1901" creme band

Model 19: "1901" smoke band

Model 33: "Abditus"

All of these pens take #6 nibs. I've tried Masuyama nibs and they are nice, but with a narrower sweet spot as you observed. Their factory 1.1 italic nibs are quite excellent and I have those on each pen I've listed above.

Sorry about the long ramble. I'm quite enthusiastic about the subject as you can tell.

Enjoy your 19. Nice handwriting btw.

I have many FC pens, but I have this EXACT pen as you describe it and I love it!

Dear thw.

I'm glad you like your Model 19. I have two of these model 19's, creme band and smoke band.

I've been a huge fan of FC for many years and know both Scott and Jim on a personal level. Best folks in the industry to do business with.

Not only do they have great fountain pens (understated and classy is the underlying theme with all their products), their leather products, pen cases, portfolios are also very nice. They've also got awesome paper journals made of sugarcane pulp, resistant to bleed and feathering, and their inks also are good, although they're relatively new to paper and ink. (I'm beginning to sound like an FC commercial intermission, but truthfully I'm a huge fan of theirs)

I was on the fence about the cherry ice bands and I did express my hesitation to Scott about the red bands being a tad feminine. He assured me that they are a richer darker shade of red.

Your photos prove him right.

I still have the Kings Gold and Cherry Ice model 19's on my wish list. I think I will build my FC empire piece by piece, brick by brick.

My current list of FC models is the following:

Model 01: "IPO"

Model 02: "Intrinsic" Black with Maroon Finial

Model 03: "Iterum" Black with Maroon Disk

Model 19: "1901" creme band

Model 19: "1901" smoke band

Model 33: "Abditus"

All of these pens take #6 nibs. I've tried Masuyama nibs and they are nice, but with a narrower sweet spot as you observed. Their factory 1.1 italic nibs are quite excellent and I have those on each pen I've listed above.

Sorry about the long ramble. I'm quite enthusiastic about the subject as you can tell.

Enjoy your 19. Nice handwriting btw.

Wow...

You are a true fan of Franklin Christop.

I admit their services are excellent and the pen tray is awesome.

Thanks for your suggestion about their factory 1.1 italic. I will have to get one with my next order...

I have many FC pens, but I have this EXACT pen as you describe it and I love it!

I love mine too...

Brilliant pen at a good price...

• 3 months later...

Thanks for reading..

The beauty of this pen is the Masuyama nib….

You have to write it to experience it...

It is amazing!

My M19 with a Masuyama steel broad stub nib should reach me in about 12 hours. This is the first time I've experimented with a non-conventional nib and I hope I'd be able to use this as a daily writer (well, at least once every other day) without my having to alter my style of, or slowing down my, writing too much.

Stubs and italics can't be recommended as comfortable daily writers, innit?

------------------------------------------------------

'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life

http://fountainpenreviews.wordpress.com/

This is an awesome pen! I have this pen in the "Pendleton Special edition" with the green bands. The size, shape and weight of this pen is just about perfect!

Great review! I got the link for the FC website from a post here on FPN, and have been hooked ever since.

I have the 19 with gold bands, a 25 Eclipse with smoke bands and a Smoke and Ice 02 Intrinsic, all with broad steel nibs. The quality and writing experience of these pens are excellent, as well as the prompt free international shipping.

Enjoy your 19!

thw, thank you for this fantastic review. I saw this pen at the Ohio Pen Show, almost bought one, but didn't, wanted to investigate further. Your review has helped tremendously. I'm understanding from what you say you're pleased with the cherry ice bands and that they don't stick out and steal attention from the over all lines of this great looking pen. Like you said, the pics on their website look kind of loud to me too,but I really like the way yours looks. I also appreciate your through critique of the nib. I like cursive italic nibs, I don't have one from Masuyama though. You did a good job with your review, well written! Thank you.

God Bless;

JGT

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the Model 19 and the Model 3 with the 1.1 sized nib. Both pens write really well. Love the feeling of them in my hand. Nice review, thanks. If you don't have one, you definitely should give one of them a drive.

John

Oh, lovely review! I have only one FC right now, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! They are made locally and my husband and I always enjoy speaking with the guys at their table at the Raleigh Pen Show every year. Awesome company and love their nib options!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7AlUqveS3BY/TCVyeRV5evI/AAAAAAAAAQU/H5N_-dpY7cA/s144/Aubrey%20on%20plaid%20paper_sm.JPG

Check out my wish list on my profile.

I received my M19 with a Masuyama Broad Stub a few weeks ago. There were some skipping issues and was advised by F-C to give it a wash which I did and it's adorable now, as are the other F-C pens I have. The pen is of an ideal size and with faultless ergonomics.

Some four days ago, I risked converting it to an ED and thus far, it's held without leaks or any other snafu :)

A great feature of a purchase from F-C is that they FedEx it to you. I've always tracked the direct Memphis-Dubai flight too :D

------------------------------------------------------

'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life

http://fountainpenreviews.wordpress.com/

Sounds like the Cherry Ice version must be the top seller: I've got one, too. Mine has the standard steel nib, though, and it's a great writer. I'll get one of those Masuyama gold versions someday!

Anybody else backorder one in the new Smoky Gray color? They should be shipping any day now. If I remember correctly, the expected date was Dec. 3.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews