Trying To Decide Between Platinum Galaxy, Izumo And Pilot/namiki Vp Raden - Help Please

Feathers

Hi! I don't have any Japanese pens yet, and I'd like to change that! ;) I like shiny, blingy things, and the Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point in the various Raden designs http://www.gouletpens.com/PN60590_p/pn60590.htm as well as the Platinum Galaxy Maki-e have all caught my eye http://nibs.com/PlatinumMakieGalaxy.html. The third pen I'm eying up is the Platinum Izumo Urushi (in Akatame red) http://nibs.com/Platinum-President-Izumo-Dark-Red.html (While not 'blingy', there is something about this pen that really grabs my attention. A subtle intensity I guess. I would love some input from those with experience with these models (or similar) who can tell me what they like/didn't like about these particular pens, what they would change etc etc.

Some extra info:

- I have never tried a Vanishing Point, so I don't know if I would like the feel of it, and I'm not sure if I'd like that clip right in the middle there. Does it impede your writing at all? I'm going to be honest, I'm totally going on looks here ;)

- I tend to favour big, wet writing Italian pens and I love a smoothy smooth (or at least mostly smooth LOL) with some nice spring in the nib.

- I'm going to contact john Mottishaw and seeing what my customization options are for the Galaxy and the Izumo - I'd love to do a Spencerian mod on the Galaxy if that was possible.

- I read somewhere that the Urushi coating changes after you have used it for a long time. Can anyone clarify/add to that?

Many thanks for all of your help !

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feathers

• whichwatch

• de_pen_dent

• Keyless Works

The Urushi coating changes over time from a natural aging process and not from usage. The top coating tends to get more transparent and reveals the lower coating more intensely. That's why many people prize such pens like the Nakaya Ascending Dragon since over time the dragon appears more clearly.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

The Urushi coating changes over time from a natural aging process and not from usage. The top coating tends to get more transparent and reveals the lower coating more intensely. That's why many people prize such pens like the Nakaya Ascending Dragon since over time the dragon appears more clearly.

Ahhh, ok, thank you very much for clarifying this for me. So in this instance, it would look more red as it ages?

Some people like the clip on the Vanishing Point, and some don't.

It all depends on how it feels to you -- if it doesn't feel good, you'll never use it.

You should definitely try it before you buy.

Scientia potentia est.

The Platinum Galaxy would be my choice but it's the most expensive. If you are considering the Platinum Izumo why not go for a Nakaya? I haven't used the Izumos nib which I believe is different from the Nakaya's 3776 nib but a Nakaya is better looking and the nib modified by Mottishaw is a dream.

The VP is a great pen, I have one and I am a big fan of it but it's more of a tool than something I would feel passionate about like a Nakaya which is more of a handmade work of art.

Edited by Keyless Works

Thank you both, Rutherfordr and Keyless Works for your input. I think I'll hold off on the VP until I can actually handle it and decide if I like clip or not.

I didn't even think of Nakaya - I think for some reason it was really, really expensive - much more than the 3 I was originally looking at. I will explore them further. Is there a comparable model to the Izumo?

Thanks again :thumbup:

You might also consider the Platinum Izumo Yagumonuri which with careful shopping can be found in a similar price range to some of the others you are considering. This is the same series as the Izumo you posted, but IMHO is about the best looking pen of its genre I have seen.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B495E92FB-77C1-46F8-8BBC-6CB040BD40BC%7D/origpict/DSCN7533.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BF6AC13E1-1DF8-4AA5-8B95-E70DDDADC2F1%7D/origpict/DSCN7534.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B3D26FC2D-0F2A-497A-AE16-DD5E850F638E%7D/origpict/DSCN7535.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B51C550B7-DB90-41DC-A50F-8D55B0DB1236%7D/origpict/DSCN7536.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BF3574F13-94D2-4B65-829C-CDC7420E4B0C%7D/origpict/DSCN7537.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B453212E3-1233-4F3F-A200-82BE41C7E920%7D/origpict/DSCN7540.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B4E909760-A24E-4041-9B84-8B7AB0ACB45F%7D/origpict/DSCN7541.JPG

In a similar vein to the VP clip issue, the threads on the Izumos might be an issue if you hold your pen far back up the section. I do, which unfortunately ruins the Izumos for me. Shame, they're great pens otherwise!

I have the Yagumonuri and I agree - it is an absolutely gorgeous work of art. I dig the Izumo shape (this is my 3rd - I have the red aka-tamenuri and a Tagayasan as well), and while the Galaxy has piqued my interest, I think the Yagumonuri is in a different league.

The VPs are nice pens but dont play in the same league, IMO.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

You might also consider the Platinum Izumo Yagumonuri which with careful shopping can be found in a similar price range to some of the others you are considering. This is the same series as the Izumo you posted, but IMHO is about the best looking pen of its genre I have seen.

Wow this is a gorgeous pen with a pretty reasonable street price...how do the Izumo nibs compare to the 3776/Nakaya nibs?

Wow this is a gorgeous pen with a pretty reasonable street price...how do the Izumo nibs compare to the 3776/Nakaya nibs?

Hard for me to make a good comparison, as my Platinum has a Broad nib while my only Nakaya has an architect point, which is a totally different animal. I have however tried Nakaya pens at two pen shows, where nibs.com has tester setups.

The Platinum writes extremely smoothly - much smoother than most of my Omas and I would say equivalent to the Nakaya testers I tried. I really like the shape and the large girth. I really enjoy writing with it and use it quite a bit.

The Izumo uses the President nib, which is a little larger than the 3776 nib. Going by visual and writing impressions, it is very similar in size and writing feel to the Nakaya nibs and I suspect some degree of re-badging going on here, but dont quote me on that.

As Whichwatch said, Platinum nibs are absolutely superlative right out of the bat - spot on perfect. Based on my experience, they have the best stock nibs in the industry.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.