• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stephenchin

• zubipen

• Iguana Sell

• sargetalon

B) Wouldn't be wonderful if they took those colors to be better-sized M800?

That would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Rolf at Missing-Pen has some actually in hand to sell, judging from the photos.

But I'm curious if anyone else has received theirs. Some of Rolf's pictures look great, but the main one makes the acetate look opaque and orangey, a bit like a discolored Onyx Patrician.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-M101N-Tortoiseshell-Tortoise-Red-Fountain-Pen-BRAND-NEW-2014-IN-BOX-/161412709571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2594f27cc3

can anyone comment on what the colors are like in real life?

As we have the M101N pens already in the shop, I just looked around for a similar color and found that the color indicator on the Edelstein ink Garnet is pretty much the same tone of red. It is not as bright as the official pictures and I would call it a nice rich red with a tendency to burgundy.

They have not arrived yet to FPH. They say at least 2 more weeks...

Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

You are welcome Stephenchin.Regarding the bind we do not have a vintage 101 so therefore a direct comparison is a bit difficult. Comparing it to the M200 Cognac fountain pen, the color is lighter, a bit more orange.

I received mine from Niche Pens here in the UK on Thursday!

A lighter rustier reddish brown than I was expecting, and the binde is quite ingenious; looked at through a loupe, you can see criss-crossing fine stripes which vary in translucency and colour with a gradient from a sort of buff through to dark brown. These are overlaid to produce a random effect of curved and slightly wavy lines even though the strips from which they are formed are straight. Perhaps more of a tiger about it than a tortoise!

I have never seen the original close enough to see if it is made in the same way, but I would doubt it. Also, the pattern is closer to the surface than the 101N Brown, if that makes sense, and is generally less organic.

Mine is topped off with a very nice EF nib, which actually writes F to M. Like the others in the series, it has a slight softness compared to the standard M400 gold nib.

Overall, I like the pen very much, although I think that to avoid disappointment it is important to bear in mind that this is a modern take on a vintage pen and not a replica.

John

I can resist. It looks like an old bowling shoe.

You're clearly frequenting much more elegant bowling lanes than the few I've viewed in a lifetime !!

post-7552-0-75482600-1411305428.jpg birds of a feather

post-7552-0-58688700-1411305464.jpg comparison of the red & the brown

post-7552-0-94528900-1411305509.jpg straight lines make curves

Hope these show what I mean ...

John

RRP £435 and around £350 street.

Hari - I think there were lots of different variants with different amounts of tortoise. Down at the bottom of this page of Rick Propas's site, you can see a mouth watering selection. Given the way that the binde has been constructed, I'm not sure it would have been viable as a cap.

John

thank you encremental for those great photos.

As I suspected, quite a bit more orange tone than I had expected from the original photos. I have an original tortoise, and at least on mine, the plastic is much more swirled and less layered than the new one. You mentioned the word organic--it is more like horn or tortoiseshell than the new one. Interesting, the brown tortoiseshell M101n had more of that quality, though the tonality was more green than the vintage ones.

Mine's due tomorrow. EF nib as well. Comments to follow.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks for the first live pictures and comparison pics, encremental. I wish the red was less tomato-red and more burgundy, like the vintage tortoises we see today. Were the original tortoises this red before fading? I've never seen one with that color, but it must have been for them to reproduce it...

I'm no expert, but I read that some of the green 100Ns were made with laminated strips, so maybe they are using the same technique.

Edited by paloma32

It looks like the original red was as dark or darker than the vintage ones we've seen today, if we are to judge from the vintage age on the Pelikan site. BTW, note that it also shows the binde as much lighter (almost a pearl or light straw color--which would make sense given how light colored and pearlescent celluloids like black and pearl tend to darken):

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.FWI.displayShop.97554./souveraen-m101n-tortoiseshell-brown

I have a broken red blind cap somewhere to check for fade from UV exposure, if anyone cares. I seem to recall the unexposed areas are also burgundy but very slightly brighter.

I received my Pelikan M 101N tortoise binde red captop last week but

decided to take my time comparing it to a vintage 100 tortoise with rhr

cap but could NOT locate this rare version until last night...what a relief

at NOT loosing a 2000+ treasure.

The vintage binde is similar to this M 101N but not the rhr captop obviously as this modern version is made from red resin rod but

the Pelikan 101N tortoise with red resin captops are not too far off

from the 1950 pens.

I think that Pelikan has learnt a lesson by producing a pen that does look

like it's 1950 ancestor!

Certainly would advise purchasing this pen asap in case there is a small

production and one is left without one.

Whispers from Hannover that there is talk of it being made as a M1000 rhr with tortoise binde in a 'limited edition' of 1938 if this small run of M101N sell quickly before Hamburg penshow in October...Nice idea ;-)

(I believe from what was said it will be like the 'Limited Editions of Our Time' series 0/1938 but as the Pelikan Magnum Emege produced in 1937 with the correct 14Kt nib but NOT an Emege copy)

Sorry for my horrible English ,it has taken 2 hours to write here

Donna

Mine's due tomorrow. EF nib as well. Comments to follow.

Arrived on time. FANTASTIC! Just my opinion but the best of the three so far - not including the daft lizard one with the diamonds - and the EF nib is so wonderful. I don't care that it's a 'modern' version. Just a great pen. I'm using Edelstein Tanzanite in it and that will probably be the ink of choice.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"