Parker Frontier Ball Point Made In India

a_m

I recently ordered a Parker Frontier ball point. I like the SS-GT varierty of pens. So this was one of that variety. This pen has a metallic top part, and the "section" part is the plastic/rubberised - but whatever the material, its of good quality - and not at all feels like the usual gripper that we find in pens.

Besides, the SS-GT has a bit deeper hue to it and very smooth and shiny - that gives a very good looks to it. The refill of-course is the standard jotter refill made by Parker with the quink ink.

The pen has a good heft to it, and feels good to use.

The presentation is very good

14791461462_8abb6fab7a_o.jpgpf2 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

The Luxor stamp is unmistakable

14788681241_a39f7b508b_o.jpgpf4 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

Though the box is made of paper, it looks quite neat

14605181248_64be6a4a4c_o.jpgpf3 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

14791460252_a00d176a0a_o.jpgpf5 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

The pen:

14789457534_496f8fbf66_o.jpgpf6 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

The pen compared to other pens:

L-R - Parker Frontier, Parker Jotter, and Oliver M-2 - which I had review previously

Generally using Fountain Pens, I have become habituated with a bit thicker section. I had bought this Parker Frontier with the hope that it has a thicker section. Though the section is thicker than the jotter, it is a normal thickness and not really thick. (all these three pens use the same standard jotter refill). Infact I am now habituated with the M2 thickness which makes me more comfortable, and still searching for a ball point of similar thickness at the grip section.

14605107700_497a1d9e48_o.jpgpf7 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

The pen interestingly is manufactured in India

14605301287_fd951cefab_o.jpgpf1 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

I had read previously that Waterman pens are being manufactured in India, but didn't know that Parkers are also being manufactured in India. These are manufactured by Luxor most likely for sale only in India and Nepal (as mentioned in the sticker)

Eventhough these are being manufactured in India, the max retail price in India matches with the price as anywhere else in the world. At lease the Luxor site sells them at MRP though one can get discounts from other retailers / e-retailers

Thanks for reading.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• h_s_shrivastava

• cjabbott

• bk123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this review! I've been curious about these Indian Parkers. Does it specify the country of origin anywhere on the pen?

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

Thanks for this review! I've been curious about these Indian Parkers. Does it specify the country of origin anywhere on the pen?

Not on pen, but only on the sticker of the box as in the image.

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

it seems those pens with "PARKER" engravings are not real parker products. some of the product lines that have already been discontinued are currently in production in the 2 countries. maybe parker just want to make use of the residual value of the old machines and they just sold these machines to the Indian :D

Edited by sheafferzhao

it seems those pens with "PARKER" engravings are not real parker products. some of the product lines that have already been discontinued are currently in production in the 2 countries. maybe parker just want to make use of the residual value of the old machines and they just sold these machines to the Indian :D

Whichever Parker pens you find in US can be found in India manufactured in India (including their ugly looking 5th technology). And i have no reason to suspect any deterioration of quality.

Just because they are manufactured in India that makes them Fake is not a good argument. By that logic all your computer devices, mobile handsets & other electronic products bearing American / European brands - but manufactured in China would be fake.

I put my savings to test

Whichever Parker pens you find in US can be found in India manufactured in India (including their ugly looking 5th technology). And i have no reason to suspect any deterioration of quality.

Just because they are manufactured in India that makes them Fake is not a good argument. By that logic all your computer devices, mobile handsets & other electronic products bearing American / European brands - but manufactured in China would be fake.

I think he meant that they were not real parker pens by the fact that they are not made by parker, not that they were fake in some way. They obviously aren't fake, they are made by Luxor under license.

I have experienced a drop in quality when using the recent Chinese made Parkers, but have not used any Luxor made ones. Something for the 'buy' list I guess, then I'll be able to make a fair comparison. Some of the Beta finishes are quite cool.

• 7 months later...

I think Anup has not looked close enough.

Parker pens produced in India do have markings as any other place produced Parker.

These have 'I' prefixed before standard batch no.

My frontier fountain pen has marking I - IIU on its cap.

post-71496-0-41182700-1429871910_thumb.jpg

Edited by h_s_shrivastava

• 4 weeks later...

Luxor is licensed by Parker to make these pens. (According to the Luxor website).

As far as I know, only frontier, vector and some lower models are made in India by Luxor under parkers' licence.

For rest of other models, like sonnet etc. they import its' parts from China, assembled here in Gurgaon, India and then sell under parker brand.

I agree that the quality of Luxor Parkers are not good as compare to Parker made earlier in UK and other regions except China.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

Not much to say about the lower end plastic models.

But this BP model and the other metal models of BP like IM - they are excellent.

https://flic.kr/p/rjYdVG

I put my savings to test

• 9 months later...

As far as I know, only frontier, vector and some lower models are made in India by Luxor under parkers' licence.

For rest of other models, like sonnet etc. they import its' parts from China, assembled here in Gurgaon, India and then sell under parker brand.

I agree that the quality of Luxor Parkers are not good as compare to Parker made earlier in UK and other regions except China.

Sorry, to open a old topic but while googling I stumbled on a report in Economic Times of 5th Oct. 2009 and thought that It will be relevant to mention it here.

As per that report "NEW DELHI: Indian made Parker pens will soon be adorning pockets of the wealthy around the world. US-based Newell Rubbermaid is going to make India a sourcing hub for its premium writing instrument brand Parker.

In addition, the company in collaboration with its Indian partner Delhi-based Luxor Group will bring Parker s accessories comprising men s jewellery, leather products and eye-wear to tap the country s growing lifestyle market."

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2009-10-05/news/28482925_1_waterman-brand-parker-pens-luxor-group