Oliver Ball Point Pens From India

a_m

Till now I thought that by the name Fountain Pen Network - this was only about fountain pens. However, I recently came across the rules of this review subsection and was somewhat surprised, but also happy that the forum has kept for itself the broadness and width of writing instrument and not restricted itself to Fountain Pens only !

The very first sentence of the rules say - "The Pen Review sub forum is specifically for reviews of writing instruments (although fountain pens are the focus, you are free to review art pens, ballpoints, rollerballs, mechanical pencils, etc)."

So here it goes - my first review of Ball Point pens. Actually, its two ball point pens - which are very interesting. One I use as daily ball point. The other is only more of a curio item. Both these pens are from Oliver, which is a brand from Chennai (India). I purchased them from asapens.in offsite, as they till date have not listed any ballpoint pens

Oliver M2

This is a very good, small in size acrylic pen. The acrylic colours are lustrous - and have variety of hues. (They also have FPs of similar acrylics that go by name Oliver F27, and Oliver Superb F. Both of these FPs come with Schmidt M nibs)

14743306926_53e8b3760d_o.jpga1 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

The name Oliver M2 is engraved on the clip

14766315805_b770f344f1_o.jpga2 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

This is very good pocket pen, and has a triangular grip. Though I am not a fan of the triangular grip, its not a problem to use. It has actual three sides (unlike Lamy Safari that has only two sides, the third side being cylindrical)

14763140161_8820870f4c_o.jpga3 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

The fact of the matter is that I can pop it into my trouser pocket. The good thing is that it uses a standard jotter refill that is found universally. And jotters have anyway a good ink capacity.

Though for most time, I use Fountain Pens, when I go outside - places like market, railway station etc, this ball point is easier to take and handle! Besides it has a good looks - that I like very much.

Oliver Mini

The next pan is "perhaps" called Mini. I am not sure of the name, because the clip only contains the name of brand "Oliver". This is a curio pen - more a collectible pen - and hardly of practical use.

This is also acrylic, and comes in a box made from that same acrylic !

14763959074_e2a3defec0_o.jpga4 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

It is very small in size

14763138961_c2efa25e76_o.jpga5 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

even when compared to the M2, it is not just mini, but looks tiny!

14579671349_6b214dfe33_o.jpga6 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

The two pens in the "on" position

14579670869_ed6cc8be37_o.jpga7 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

The two pens disassembled

14579676368_9483961408_o.jpga8 by anup@indiapoint, on Flickr

Thanks for reading.

(note on images - my quota of FPN storage is nearly over, so I had to use Flickr, and to abide by Flickrs Terms, I have kept the embed link as it is)

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• Scribblesoften

Top Posters In This Topic

Image from ASApens.in site of the variety of acrylic colours in which this pen comes. (though it has not been listed!)

http://asapens.in/img/p1.jpg

I put my savings to test

• 3 months later...

These are a couple of really fun pens. I am surprised that no one else has commented. I especially like the acrylic box.

These are a couple of really fun pens. I am surprised that no one else has commented. I especially like the acrylic box.

Ah that tiny pen - its a marvel that it even exists !

I put my savings to test