Can’T Decide Between Two Pens

lgsoltek

Hello.

I am currently struggling between two choices. My budget would allow me to purchase one of these two pens: Pelikan M405 (blue stripes with rhodium trims) or Pilot Heritage 912 (FA nib).

For the moment I own three Pilots already: Justus 95 (FM nib), Custom 823 (F nib) and a matte black VP (F nib) (with two Platinum 3776 and three Lamy). I’ve never seen nor tried a Pelikan before, so I’m very curious about it, which is the main reason why I’m considering the 405. From the photos the silver trim with blue stripes looks quite marvellous, although I don’t know whether it would be really as beautiful in my hands. The piston filler is another attraction as well, I've never had a piston filler pen. The 405’s size is a bit too small for my taste, and I am not ready to spend more on a 605 or 805. As for the nib, it is said the Pelikan nibs don’t always have the same behaviour, and that the quality varies from one another. I am accustomed to Japanese finer nibs, so I’m not sure whether I will like Pelikan’s nib.

About the Pilot 912, I very much like to try the (semi-)flex FA nib (also found on 742 and 743). I’d like to write with a bit line variations and sometimes try some Copperplate (totally novice here). I have a Justus 95, but it’s an FM nib so the hairlines are not really fine enough, and it’s said the FA nib will offer a little more flex. I quite like the look of 912, especially the rhodium finish. (The reason why I would not consider a 742 (albeit the same price) is that I don’t really like the ‘gold/black’ decoration, and that it looks basically the same as my 823.) So 912 looks nice enough for me and its size is ideal.

So what do you think? Same say that the Pelikans are not exciting enough. Shall I go and try a new brand and a new filling system (piston) for me, or should I stay in the camp of Pilot and go for the seemingly attractive FA nib? Both have pretty much the same price here in China, the 405 costing about 8 dollars more. Any idea or suggestion is welcomed!

To sum up a bit:

Pelikan M405:

Pros: looks nice, piston filler, a new brand for me

Cons: a bit too small, not sure about nibs

Pilot 912:

Pros: ideal size, looks nice too, FA nib for line variations

Cons: yet another Pilot

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• Algester

• Dillo

• playtime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say don't buy a pen that you know is not the size you want. Save up some more cash and get the bigger Pelikan or buy another Pilot. A piston filling system is neat and all, but at the end of the day it's the same as a twist converter that's permanently mounted into the pen. My personal vote would be for the Pilot, since I don't find the look of Pelikans to be attractive at all and I've never been disappointed by a modern Pilot pen. :-)

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

if you don't want a copperplate nib, why not try a Pilot C92 with a SF, SFM nib. Would be similar behavior to the justus so I guess the FA is something different. But the C92 is a m605 sized pen at less than half the cost and IMHO just as good.

The Pilot comes with a better nib, the Pelikan comes with the typical pelikan design and piston filler, which make it slightly more interesting. Since i am practical when it comes to pens, i would buy the Pilot in this case- although the 742 with FA nib would be a better choice- to me it looks far more nicer, and i see that the prices for the two are almost identical.

Edited by rochester21

The Pilot comes with a better nib, the Pelikan comes with the typical pelikan design and piston filler, which make it slightly more interesting. Since i am practical when it comes to pens, i would buy the Pilot in this case- although the 742 with FA nib would be a better choice- to me it looks far more nicer, and i see that the prices for the two are almost identical.

actually they are identical

Go where your heart lies if I were you if you like modern taste and with a more flex then Custom Heritage 912 with FA will be your choice yes it will flex but railroading issue is bound to happen... thats the con of the Pilot feed that isnt modified

I don't have the 405, but I do have a m805 as well as the 912 with fa nib. The pelikan is a beautiful pen, but I would hate anything smaller than the m805. The 912 is also a great pen. It is a bit slimmer than the m805, but still feels pretty good. The fa nib takes practice and patience. You have to learn how much you can flex the nib without problems. If I had to choose between the pilot and a m405 it would be the pilot. If you could save up for the m805 that would be my choice.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

I agree with the others that I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a pen that is too small. It may look good, but the most important thing is how it feels when you write. It would be a shame to spend that kind of money and then always go for a different pen. (I have a pen in my collection that taught me that lesson the hard way.)

Or, as others suggested, save for a while longer and purchase a larger Pelikan.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Pilot hands down. There must be some reason you keep buying Pilots. It's because they are great pens, and very dependable. I don't particularly care for Pelikans. I've had one, and sold it. My debate would be between the 912 and the 743, and the 743 would win.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Wow, thank you everyone for your suggestions! I wasn't expecting so many replies.

After much thought I think I shall settle with Pilot 912, which has a nice look, an ideal size and an interesting nib. While I was drafting my original post with a Platinum 3776 I noticed how small it is in my hand. Considering that M405 is about the same size as 3776, I think it would look incongruous (though not uncomfortable) with my hand size, however beautiful it might be. And I prefer the Pilot FA nib more, so that't it.

Some have mentioned 742 and 743. The 742 is the same pen as 912 with a different look, but I don't really like their look... I am not very into this gold-and-black decoration and they look the same as my 823. So I'd like a pen with a new look, which is black and silver, a colour that I like more.

Maybe someday I'll save up enough for a M805, but that's for later!

(lahlahlaw proposed an idea, which is to get an M200 with a grinded M400 nib. It's a nice idea per se, but not quite realistic for me coz I live in China, so the international shipping fee is going to be a lot. Plus here, I can get an M405 for about 170USD which is much less than proposed.)

Hi,

I would recommend the Pilot over the Pelikan for a few reasons. First, the Pilot seems to be a better fit in your hand. I would advise against getting the Pilot for flex. It might leave you a bit disappointed. In my experience, it seems to me that Pilot generally has better fit and finish than Pelikan does, at least comparing most Pelikan Souverän pens to the Pilot Custom series. Pelikan is not bad at fit and finish, but it's very difficult to beat Pilot at fit and finish. I eventually sold my Pelikan Souverän pens in favour of the Pilot Custom pens. Also, the Pelikan has a trim ring around the nib. With regards to longevity, the trim ring sometimes gets corroded. That is rare, but it does happen from time to time. The Pilot doesn't have this problem. I generally recommend pens with all plastic grip sections or a grip section made from unplated metal that is resistant to corrosion if you want somewhat better longevity. Also, while the Pelikan has the piston-filler, be advised that the Pelikan M3xx, M4xx, and M6xx have snap-in piston units. If these need to get repaired, the units are often replaced more or less in their entirety unlike with Montblanc and Aurora (or the Pelikan M8xx and M10xx pens) where the piston units can be unscrewed from the back for service. The Pilot Con-70 and Pelikan M4xx pens are generally comparable in ink capacity, so that's another thing to think about although if something goes wrong with the Pilot, you can just get a new converter for it instead of sending it to Pilot for service. You also have the option of using cartridges or the Con-20 or Con-50.

If you wonder about the Pelikan M2xx series, I like that it has no trim ring like the M4xx, but the trim is somewhat lower quality than that of the M4xx series.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Don't settle for a 405. Though the 605 is smaller than the 805, nevertheless, its girth gives it a wonderful feel in the hand.

As for pelikan nibs, they do runner broader than Japanese nibs - and all the more reason to purchase a Pelikan. it was the Oblique nibs of vintage Pelikans (as well as the piston filler) that earned its renown. Should you decide on a Pelikan now or in the future, i would consider its more exotic nibs (which by the way pelikan are discontinuing).........

I suspect it would be great to purchase a new pen - but i would take a step back and reconsider purchasing anything. Even if you purchase the 912 (a flat-top with a piston filler - much like the pelikan), that Pelikan itch will remain. trust me - i know all about the excitement of a new pen arriving - rather addicted to the feeling myself:) but it sounds like pelikan has really captured your attention. i wouldn't ignore it - and hopefully you'll have the chance to handle one sooner rather than later.

What would be the best of both worlds? perhaps a vintage pelikan with a flexible EF nib:) the 100N enjoys a girth at least as wide the the 600 - and vintage EF nibs run truly extra fine, comparable to a Pilot EF. for a short time, pelikan even made EEF nibs:)

Good luck! let us know what you eventually decide.

The 405’s size is a bit too small for my taste, and I am not ready to spend more on a 605 or 805.

I am accustomed to Japanese finer nibs, so I’m not sure whether I will like Pelikan’s nib.

Edited by playtime

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

THE 912 ISNT A PISTON FILLER PLEASE... its a C/C pen along with most Pilot pens except the Custom 823 and Custom Heritage 92 unless they make a Custom Heritage 922 then that I pressume is a piston filler... I WISH THEY COME OUT WITH A Custom Heritage 913 or 923 which would probably be a vac fill to say the least but this isnt hapening

i stand corrected.

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

THE 912 ISNT A PISTON FILLER PLEASE... its a C/C pen along with most Pilot pens except the Custom 823 and Custom Heritage 92 unless they make a Custom Heritage 922 then that I pressume is a piston filler... I WISH THEY COME OUT WITH A Custom Heritage 913 or 923 which would probably be a vac fill to say the least but this isnt hapening

Patience, patience. The Heritage series is quite new, and people are bound to be confused and make mistakes.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

My only Pilot is a Metropolitan - not in the ballpark price wise, but I have four Pelikans. If you truly love the finer nibs a Pilot has - do like others have suggested - either do another Pilot OR - to scratch your Pelikan itch, go vintage and get something like an EF. I have a wonderful EF on my 120 Merz & Krell. And that is a steel nib.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

1. I had a Pelikan M200 and traded it for a Namiki Falcon, because the M200 is too small for my hands and shape. I seem to remember the 405 being the same size as the 200, with the gold nib on the 400 series being the major difference.

2. I think you should move the "another Pilot" to the pro side rather than con. I have more Pilots than any other brand, and the only one which disappointed me was a 2A from the 60s/70s which was brittle and broke. ;-)

3. Myself, I am tempted to get a 912 with FA nib. I already have a Custom 742 with FA nib, which I love, except for the gold furniture.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Reporting back:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and I've decided on Pilot 912. I've just received it and tried it with Iroshizuku's Ku-jaku which I ordered at the same time. Very satisfied! The pen is nice looking with its silver trim, comfortable in size, and the FA nib is soft and wondrous. I encounted a few railroading problems as I expected, but that's fine by me, plus it still needs some run-in time. Ku-jaku is a very pretty ink too.

[Edit: The ink is a tiny little bit greener in real life than in the photo. It's really an amazing colour.]

post-113900-0-89032500-1406783311_thumb.jpg

Edited by lgsoltek