Nakaya & Itoya

Cdub24

Hi All,

I am heading to Japan for my first trip in early September and I am planning to buy a Nakaya from Itoya, I realise they can be purchased online but living here in New Zealand the customs and duty makes this very expensive as well as the exchange rate, hence why I want to pick one up on holiday. Does anyone have any experience of buying one at Itoya?? Is it true I can get the nib swapped within 24 hours if I need too, I have only 3 days in Tokyo so time is critical...thanks for any ideas or help

Craig

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Cdub24

• gerigo

• Tinjapan

ohhh god 3 days... well if it's in stock then I guess you could... I bought my Custom Heritage 91 there and pretty much all the nibs I wanted were in stock AND CHEAP IROSHIZUKU!!!!!... ok... nevermind... I guess it couldnt be worst than 2 days since my family tour in Japan... sigh... I wished I could have gone to Akiba but eh...

I hope you have some Japanese background at the back of your mind so you will not have a hard time but they can at least understand english a bit

BTW: if your heading to their Ginza shop I'm not sure if the reconstruction is complete but you will be heading to (It's in front of Ito-ya from where you enter) K.Ito-ya for their Higher end stuff (Pelikan Ms, GvFC, CdA, Pilot Custom and above, Sailor, Platinum) because Ito-ya only has the Metropolitans and Lamy Safaris and Crystals in stock

I'm checking Ito-ya Site right now... I can not find Nakayas... if ever you want Nakaya you have to personally go there... however they have their own pens branded as Romeo in Maki-e... the closest thing you get from Ebonite is the Sailor KOP (Profit shape)

Address: 2-5-16, Iwahara-building 2F, Higashi-Ueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan It is best you personally go there and order your pen... HOWEVER WAIT TIME IS A MUST you will still end up with customs fee if they ship your pen

Edited by Algester

I'm not sure if it was me but I didnt see any Nakaya pens on display when I got there or probably because everything was in a state of rush... I was in 30 minutes... YEESH

but if ever they do not have Nakaya and you still want to impulsively buy a pen have a back up plan

Edited by Algester

ok good idea re: back up plan. I have 4 days in Kyoto first so will be going to Osaka and Kobe, hunting for pens & ink!!!

Yeah I know, I have been trying to narrow my wish list down, it doesn't appear to be getting any shorter...

Yeah I know, I have been trying to narrow my wish list down, it doesn't appear to be getting any shorter...

its normal... normally you have to bring 50K yen minimum if you ever need to go shopping 50K will net you about 5 pens in 100USD range or about 25 inks worth 20 USD +- other expenses if my experience has any say bring 70K yen this should be good MORE OR LESS to make sure you go on a strict budget for your entire trip which I assume maybe a tour of some sort

Edited by Algester

I was in itoya last December, and then again this year in May. They certainly do have Nakaya pens but won't be available in extensive numbers or colours. They were flexible in nib changes for Nakaya, but I was after a namiki Emperor and for that, they didn't want to change nibs :)

Enjoy your trip. In Kobe, go to Nagasawa and go nuts. They'll also have Nakaya pens.

Bring money, lots of money haha.

MMM wish I could buy kobe inks in my local cash... man I would like to get on hold to that Shinkaichi gold... also some Maruzen Athena Akane and Renge

Sailor one of the very few companies probably still available that has a large ink product line under their hands... I could say they are like the Diamine of Japan with probably over 70 inks in production

Edited by Algester

I know, how cool would one of those ink clinics be, I've seen that one advertised but I'm a month too late. Because there are no pen/ink shops in NZ, I'm going to have to make sure I don't go too crazy in the first store and wipe out all my loot...now that will be tough to do!

I know, how cool would one of those ink clinics be, I've seen that one advertised but I'm a month too late. Because there are no pen/ink shops in NZ, I'm going to have to make sure I don't go too crazy in the first store and wipe out all my loot...now that will be tough to do!

I would likely advise you take the time to research your itinerary and see what you can come up with a battle plan it all takes planning you have approximately 1 month to do it

What pen or pens I normally would get not locally found items in foreign land

What INKS same as above

What to eat <-- this is Japan go and explore LOL

souvenirs? september which would mean its between summer and autumn huh I'm not sure what to get between that time period since it's mostly the stuff I want are found in Spring (unless you want to buy a Tamahagane steel blade thats a totally different situation)

from there deduce a budget that you can work with in a legal declarable manner

Edited by Algester

Cdub, maybe you can email them now to see if they have what you're looking for in stock when you go there in September? Or maybe you can find someone here that can help?

According to Nakaya's website, Itoya in Ginza has the most complete selection of standard Nakaya pens available. So its the Piccolos, Cigars, Decapods and mini Decapods. I think everything else is a custom order. They also said they are able to change the nibs based on what you need. I personally have not bought a Nakaya there myself.

Love to hear your experience after your visit. Have a great time!

There is a lot of bad information in this thread about Itoya.

I know because, up till last week, I worked there.

The reason you can't change the nibs on the emperor is most likely one of two. One, they don't make the nib in the size you want for particular model/ it's a limited edition/ the nib was not in stock. Or the pen tech wasn't in house yet.

Yes there are Nakayas. Lots of them. More than any other store I have been to. Yes you can change nibs, if they are in stock. Yes you can test them. As a forgiven customer Itoya recommends that you try the nib before you leave the store as any return or repair will be quite difficult to complete once you return to your home country.

The people who work there, well half of them, understand English. They may not be able to speak it back smoothly or clearly but they understand what you want. If you are patient and nice and not rude or overly aggressive they will go to the ends of the earth to try and get you what you want, with in reason.

Additionally, with Nakayas, at Itoya, we came second to Nakayas direct customers and therefore are back ordered on certain items. Usually nibs. I haven't seen a fine or an extra fine nib in a while. There are test versions of all nibs available, but if you want setting specific the best thing to do is order it and wait. That's just how Nakaya works.

Also, if you want a Nakaya, base price is ¥55,000+tax. It only goes up from there.

If you are lucky enough to be in town during a Nakaya exhibition and see Mr. Yoshida you can get your pen turned for free and he usually has an assortment of extra nibs. But again, timing is everything.

Oh yeah, and

The ink clinics are cool.

The reason you can't change the nibs on the emperor is most likely one of two. One, they don't make the nib in the size you want for particular model/ it's a limited edition/ the nib was not in stock. Or the pen tech wasn't in house yet.

Yes there are Nakayas. Lots of them. More than any other store I have been to. Yes you can change nibs, if they are in stock. Yes you can test them. As a forgiven customer Itoya recommends that you try the nib before you leave the store as any return or repair will be quite difficult to complete once you return to your home country.

The people who work there, well half of them, understand English. They may not be able to speak it back smoothly or clearly but they understand what you want. If you are patient and nice and not rude or overly aggressive they will go to the ends of the earth to try and get you what you want, with in reason.

Additionally, with Nakayas, at Itoya, we came second to Nakayas direct customers and therefore are back ordered on certain items. Usually nibs. I haven't seen a fine or an extra fine nib in a while. There are test versions of all nibs available, but if you want setting specific the best thing to do is order it and wait. That's just how Nakaya works.

Also, if you want a Nakaya, base price is ¥55,000+tax. It only goes up from there.

If you are lucky enough to be in town during a Nakaya exhibition and see Mr. Yoshida you can get your pen turned for free and he usually has an assortment of extra nibs. But again, timing is everything.

Oh yeah, and

Thats cool and good but mmm ink clinics... Gahh!!!! If I ver stumble muself on one I have no idea what color to get myself >.< or in true fashion _| ̄|○ (>人<;) Edited by Algester

Oh yeah, and

I bought a Nakaya from Itoya 3 years ago. This reflects my experience, although I didnt need a nib change or see an ink clinic.

It is a wonderful shop. Like you I only had a few days in Tokyo and this is the only shop I had time to go but you may want to do a search for the many threads about Japanese pen shopping to check out your options.

I believe I bought a Nakaya when Pen_Samurai was working at Itoya in Ginza. So I can also confirm that you can buy one there. My very short answer is that if you are going to have a very limited window of time in Tokyo to shop for pens, definitely start at Itoya for modern pens (and definitely go up to the second floor to see the amazing display of very expensive pens). Then walk over to Eurobox (check the times) to look at an amazing selection of vintage pens.

Buzz