Mystery Vintage Colibri Ballpoint (Help)

lordz

Hi guys,

Lord Z here with a pen I found on a park bench.

(FOUND ANSWER TO FIRST PARAGRAPH) The pen has "Colibri" stamped around the base of the cap, just like it should. It resembles very old Colibri models, and uses an oil ink, in a discontinued tube. I cannot find a fit, however, so if you can figure out what it is, that would be great.

This pen is a Colibri Le Grande in burgundy.

It has a little bit of ink dried onto the cap, as well as scuff marks. I need to figure out if there is a way to deal with this, and how to get more ink.

As recap (No pun intended), I need to figure out what model this pen is and anything else you can find on it, like price point, and how to clean it.

One more question: is it sin to replace a ballpoint cartridge with a compatible rollerball? Thanks.

Thanks,

Lord Z

post-115127-0-44677500-1406498500.jpg

post-115127-0-91972700-1406498406.jpg

post-115127-0-61886800-1406498670_thumb.jpg

post-115127-0-20276700-1406498677_thumb.jpg

Edited by lordz

"Minds are like parachutes--you might have lost yours, but that doesn't mean you can borrow mine."

--A wise, wise man.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lordz

• Jerome Tarshis

• usk15

• ljstanford

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bump bump bumpity bump.

"Minds are like parachutes--you might have lost yours, but that doesn't mean you can borrow mine."

--A wise, wise man.

Look like Cross Ballpoint refills, also made by monteverde

http://www.pensandleather.com/images/products/detail/C132BK_01.jpg

Look like Cross Ballpoint refills, also made by monteverde

Awesome. I will buy one and see if it fits. Anyway, do you have anything on the model?

--A wise, wise man.

I own one of those pens. The model name was Le Grand, IIRC. The pen was clearly meant to look more than a little like a Montblanc. There was an accompanying fountain pen, also called Le Grand, a model name far from unknown in Hamburg at the time.

Yes, the pen does take Cross BP refills. Many generic ballpoint pens take either Cross or Parker refills, while others take refills that originated elsewhere in penland. As I grew up in a Parker-using family, and have broadened to the extent of liking Cross pens, too, there's a lot I don't know about the ballpoint pen.

Edited by Jerome Tarshis

I own one of those pens. The model name was Le Grand, IIRC. The pen was clearly meant to look more than a little like a Montblanc. There was an accompanying fountain pen, also called Le Grand, a model name far from unknown in Hamburg at the time.

Yes, the pen does take Cross BP refills. Many generic ballpoint pens take either Cross or Parker refills, while others take refills that originated elsewhere in penland. As I grew up in a Parker-using family, and have broadened to the extent of liking Cross pens, too, there's a lot I don't know about the ballpoint pen.

Thanks!

--A wise, wise man.

Huh. So pretty cheap.

--A wise, wise man.

• 4 months later...

This is a simple Thank you! I have tried to identify this pen for some time and just stumbled? onto this site. As you have been so helpful, inadvertently or not, would you go one step further and tell me where I might find a repair shop? Colibri all but told me to go away. The top will not stay on and I am afraid of losing it.

You are welcome! I don't really know where to find a repair shop for ballpoints. If it were an FP (fountain pen) I could direct you to an online shop. One such shop might actually be willing to help. I would go looking for one of those. I really have no idea what someone would pay for one of these, but I suspect it's not worth repairing. Just don't use it for EDC and keep it in a closed-top pen pouch when not in use.

Try these sites:

http://www.fivestarpens.com/links_to_other_pen_sites.html (this has a good list of links)

http://pentiques.com/

--A wise, wise man.