Morbus Curiositas

Lovely Liquids De Atramentis Wine Ink Merlot

Dear FPN friends,

It is time for a review of my now FAVOURITE ink…. De Atramentis Merlot.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/De%20Atramentis%20MERLOT/MerlotwineinkbottlesglasspaperFPN_zpsf2c312a9.jpg

On Wine Inks

De Atramentis produces a vast Array of wine inks.

fpn_1406281737__11722285-0.jpg

fpn_1406281847__11722285-1.jpg

Following De Atramentis Wine Inks are Available

Barolo, Spätburgunder, Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chianti, Dornfelder, Merlot, Lambrusco,

There are even special boxes available by country containing six bottles of wine ink.

All boxes contain Country typical grape/wine inks.

Following countries are available

Germany, Italy, France, USA, Austria

fpn_1406282177__wine_ink_box.jpg

The most exclusive ink in the world.

De Atramentis offers a unique opportunity. Everyone can send a bottle of his/hers favourite wine, Dr Jansen will make 12 bottles of ink out of it. Even the ink lable will resemble the wine label…. That is awesome!!!

Exclusive, well no offence, but forget Graf von Faber Castell or Iroshizuku. Send a bottle of Romané Conti (Burgundy France € 3000, a bottle)... Ready is the most luxuorious and exclusive ink in the world.

fpn_1406282260__romanee.jpg

There are several wine estates who sell inks made of their own wine ink now. Even artists use these inks. Here is an example www.vinorello.com (German wine estate, the wife of the owner paints with their wine inks)

De Atramentis Merlot

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/De%20Atramentis%20MERLOT/MerlotwineinkhandwrittenFPN_zps7459f83a.jpg

This ink is truly made of Merlot wine. You will see the richness and warm red colour back in your writing. I allowed me a glass of Merlot WINE on writing this review. :happyberet: :puddle: cheers!

The ink looked so tempting that I had to taste a drop (All De Atramentis inks comply to the EN71-3 safety standard for children)

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/De%20Atramentis%20MERLOT/MerlotwineinkpaperandglassFPN_zpscac86111.jpg

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/De%20Atramentis%20MERLOT/merlottong_zps1e8369fa.jpg

Well it doesnt't taste that badly... but I prefer the MerlotWine for drinking and De Atramentis Merlot for writing :puddle:

Ink specs and Details

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/De%20Atramentis%20MERLOT/MerlotwineinksamplerFPN_zps0772c05b.jpg

Colour

Lustrous rich warm wine red. In my opinion it absolutely resembles a wine (please read under "postcard")

Shading

Very rich, even in a medium nib

Feathering

Absent

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/De%20Atramentis%20MERLOT/Merlotwineink009_zps51bd2960.jpg

Bleedthrough

Little and very acceptable even on the cheap paper I always use

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/De%20Atramentis%20MERLOT/Merlotwineinkshow_zps441d743c.jpg

Down here are some of the technical specs (as suggested by Ann Finley 2007)

(not copied in but for this ink)

points 1-5 1 = :( 5= :)

Fountain Pens: Online best writer 0.4 italic nib: Waterman Carène M

Paper: Leonardo Ringbuch,average quality school note book made in Austria

Drying time: fast points 5

Flow: very smooth even in scratchy nibs points: 5

Lubrication: smooth in both pens points: 5

Bleeding: stronger in broader little points 4

Shading: superb!!! none points: 5

Waterproof: no need to mention here points:5

Package: Only in bottles,Wide opening for easy filling up points: 3-4 (bottle is quite nice but the not very special,

Availabilty: In Europe Good, D-A webshop www.tinten-online.de, Amazon, La Couronne Du Comte (NL),

USA Amazon, DA Webshop www.de-atramentis.com points: EU 3 USA???.... See more under availabiltiy!!!

Quality: Hand Made in Germany points: 5

Availability

These inks as far as I know are only available at De Atramentis.

I have spoken to Dennis van de Graaf, the passionate owner of the lovely La Couronne du Comte Fountain Pen shop. He was very interested. I will give you notice on developments.

Postcard

It can be difficult to show the tue colours on a Monitor. I gave it my best to make the photos resemble...

But...

I always like to share my enthusiasm. This ink neurotically forces me to do so :yikes:

If you send me your adress I will send you a postcard with the De Atramtentis Merlot Ink

Too Conclude

Only my mom and my girlfriend Sabine I love more….

But after that… I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS INK! :wub:

I love wines, and I love inks…. De Atramentis Merlot Ink, rich red and subtle like a Pomerol wine…

I happen to have quite some inks from various manufactures…. But this is my FAVOURITE ink for now!

Cheers, Santé, Prosit, Salute

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• Dumatborlon

• amberleadavis

• napalm

Na zdrowie :) That's the polish one. That would be cool to have Tokaj golden amber ink :)

I love tokajer wine.... I wonder if it's possible to make ink out of it

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Great review! Though I’m no fan of wine in general or wine-coloured inks (I prefer more ‘popping’ colours), it’s a very original idea for an ink. I’ll keep that in the back of my head, to the right person this ink is bound to make a great present!

I also like your pre-printed fact sheet thing—great idea! I’ll have to cook up my own soon.

Skål! :o)

A dwarf’s unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.

Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov, ‘For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet’

You can download the form from this link: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/100963-ink-review-forms/, or directly from here: http://www.riorondo.com/fpn/InkReviewA4.pdf - unless you want to formulate your own!

Thaks for putting in that link... I lost it and have been carefully copying my last fact sheet.

Great review! Though I’m no fan of wine in general or wine-coloured inks (I prefer more ‘popping’ colours), it’s a very original idea for an ink. I’ll keep that in the back of my head, to the right person this ink is bound to make a great present!

I also like your pre-printed fact sheet thing—great idea! I’ll have to cook up my own soon.

Skål! :o)

If your more into poppy colours...

amberlea posted a review on De Atrmentis poppy red lately.

and today a review of DA Mahata Gandi was posted.... very poppy very nice

My ink well addiction is getting in the way of doing inks.

I do have the Bordeaux, but in it's red I don't use it much, because of the ink windows in my piston pens. That''s 11 DA inks...I'd forgotten to count it just minutes ago, when I told the OP, I had ten.

:eureka: :eureka: Some times I'm a bit slow....forgetful.....I do have C/C pens.... :headsmack: I can reload empty cartridges or see if those converters bought by the hand full at a flea market do anything.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I read your topic on hte Ink well ... very nice... What kind of Ink Mall is that in your profile picture

I will read the things you wrote me in the private message more thoroughly later... What are the inks brands...

Is the Bordeaux different from the Merlot....

Hello FPN friends

Just to let you know I have published a comparison of two Reddish inks i have reviewed seperately before...

J Herbin Terre de Feu and De Atramentis wine ink Merlot

You can find the comparison here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270999-allied-forces-j-herbin-de-atramentis-terre-de-feu-merlot/

Hope you will enjoy it... :D

Regards

Peter

Cybaea

Your postcard is on its way

Dear FPN friends

Fellow member Fabienn wrote me an interesting remark on sugar in wine inks

Fabienne, on 29 Jul 2014 - 12:50, said:snapback.png

Thanks for the highly amusing review. I will be testing out Terre de Feu soon and was wondering about a red-brown ink which shaded well. Now I can try Merlot. Not crazy about wine in the ink as that is full of sugars which are sticky BUT maybe it's metaphorical wine and there will be no problems. :thumbup:

P.S. I was highly highly amused by your reference to being a [sic] "sh*tty" artist. :lticaptd: Too funnah. You and Stephen Brown should get together and do a Mad Review series.

Well of course there are no sugars in the wine inks.

To explain you why there is no sugar in wine Inks (and there for do not stick your papers together) I copied the answe I gave to Fabienne down here in blue

How cool you know him too.... LORD SBRE Brown,my divine Fountain Pen Hero. To me he is the David Attenborough of Foutain Pen Documentaries :notworthy1:

On that sugar thing

There is no sugar left in the wine (if a dry wine is used).

A little of a technical story.....

During the fermentation process the yeast on the grapes comes in contact with the sugar in the grapes, This process induces two things.

1. Alcohol
  2. Carbon Dioxide

These are made out of the sugars.

In a dry wine (most Merlots are dry wines) all sugar is gone as is the Carbon Dioxide (in a Champagne the Carbon dioxide is captured in the bottle, during it's sugar-induced fermentation within the bottle)

Of course there are sweet wines like Port, Muscat and Late harvest wines.

How does this come (fortunately not by having a diabetic peeing in the wine, their urine is actually sweet, early doctors tested for diabetes by tasting a patients urine... TRUE I am a nurse! cheeeers)

Well how does this work then...

It all has to do with suicidal yeast cells. The funny thing is that yeast cells are the vegetarian equivalent of Harakiri-pilots. Once the fermentation process produces 15-16-% of alcohol.... all the yeast cells die.(well I guess it is a nice way to die.... Winston Churchill took 91 years to do so :puddle: )

In Port wines aquardiente (a 40-45% alcohol beverage) is added during the fermentation process. This causes a mass-murder among the yeast cells, also called Vegetarian Genocide (that last bit is plain rubbish!)

In Muscat or Vendage Tardive (late harvest) wines the grapes contain so much sugar that the yeast cells are terminated before the sugars are.

In both wines this process leaves rest-sugars. These wine are therefore sweet (as diabetes pee) and especially the Port wine sticks to the gums like fleas on a (bleep) artist

Well so far the technical story, I hope it wasn't too boring...

I am neither a Doctor nor a Winemaker.... I am just an educated aloholic :puddle:

Back to Wine inks....

This wine does not contain any sugars. It is not sweet and does not stick (your papers together).... Believe me I know my stuff here because I tasted the ink in my review of

De Atramentis Merlot..

http://www.fountainp...ine-ink-merlot/

Just check out the Photo of my tongue in the above linked review

My findings

It doesn't taste badly at a all. But it stains the tongue. This makes it hard to deny that one has been drinking (pretty nasty for an educated alcoholic)

But must say I prefer a Merlot wine for drinking and a Merlot Ink for writing.... :happyberet:

Dear Fabienne I hope this was helpfull... If you send me your adress in the private messenger I will sent you a postcard with both Terre de Feu and Merlot writtnen on it

Regards Peter

Well hop this was helpfull to you too. And of course the offer is open for sending you the postcard mentioned...
Regards
Peter

So, it really is waterproof? You gave it 5 points. I was surprised. If that offer for a post card is still open, I'll take it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sorry forget to change the points

Waterproof only 3 points only survives a drop

Sorry again

So, it really is waterproof? You gave it 5 points. I was surprised. If that offer for a post card is still open, I'll take it.

Sorry forget to change the points

Waterproof only 3 points only survives a drop

Sorry again

If you are interested in a waterproof Red... there is also a De Atramentis Document ink red available now....

As all DA Document inks, this stuff is truly Bombproof...

Don't know what it looks like, but I will ask Dr. Jansen for a sample

I will send your postcard out today

Regards,

Peter

I should never have signed up here… That rabbit hole is much deeper than I expected and I’m still falling, especially for all the inks that I have to read about all day which just BEG to be sampled. And then others, and then even some; it’s madness!

With my budged unfortunately as limited as it is, I cannot really afford buying whole bottles of ink just to see whether or not I like the colour. Especially not with the obscene shipping costs that some sites seem to be charging. Apparently, shipping from Germany to Italy seems to cost about twice as much as shipping from the U.S.…

It’s days like these that I sometimes really hate to be living in Italy, though… And with you reminding me that there are still like twohundredsomething inks wanting to be sampled just from one single brand that’s definitely not helping… :o)

A dwarf’s unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.

Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov, ‘For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet’

I should never have signed up here…

...you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave...

I should never have signed up here… That rabbit hole is much deeper than I expected and I’m still falling, especially for all the inks that I have to read about all day which just BEG to be sampled. And then others, and then even some; it’s madness!

With my budged unfortunately as limited as it is, I cannot really afford buying whole bottles of ink just to see whether or not I like the colour. Especially not with the obscene shipping costs that some sites seem to be charging. Apparently, shipping from Germany to Italy seems to cost about twice as much as shipping from the U.S.…

It’s days like these that I sometimes really hate to be living in Italy, though… And with you reminding me that there are still like twohundredsomething inks wanting to be sampled just from one single brand that’s definitely not helping… :o)

...you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave...

Dumatborlon

I understand your problem.... I am not rich either.... I live in North Tyrol and it is hard to buy inks here.... Same as in Bozen or Brixen.... I have checked Arthesia.... Just a poor offer of inks there too.

There is a special De Atramentis offer in the making. 4=3 meaning buy 4 bottles you only ay 3... This might soften the pain of shipping costs a little... Maybe ordering over the de Atramentis Website is cheaper the owner Dr Franz-Josef Jansen has special rates for shipping....

I will be in cntact wth Dr Jansen today and ask him about shipping costs. The discount thing will come later...

In the mean time...

I regularly visit Bozen.... May bewe drink a glass off Prosecco together... I will give you a few 2 ml samples of some inks I own...

Napalm

The Fountin Pen Network.... It's a life long addiction

Hi Dumartlon

I just spoke with De Atramentis on the telephone.

Shippng costs if ordering over De Atramentis

1 Kilo € 12,90 this is 4 bottles the rest is the weight of the packing material.

2 Kilo € 13, 40

3 kilo € 13,90

Hope this will help you De Atramentis carries 255 inks ( that is 65 kilo haha)

Greetz

Peter