Best Shaders

CelloGeek

I write with stubs (and will write with flex when I can afford some vintage flex) and I love inks that shade. They just look more interesting to me.

I'm looking for a list of really intense shaders.

Here are the shaders I've tried:

Noodlers...

Black Swan in Australian Roses, pre July '14. (RIP)

Navajo Turquoise

Apache Sunset

Diamine ancient copper

Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo (moonlight)

What are your favorites?

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

Lamy Vista 1.5 -- Jinhao x750 Ivory, Goulet #6 1.1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CelloGeek

• raging.dragon

• AllenG

• Icywolfe

My most commonly used nib is a 3x fine flex. It can produce some heavy shading.

Noodler's Widow Maker can appear like a candy cane with it, shading from almost pink to black. Lexington grey shades well. As does Midway blue.

Iroshizuku inks shade but not as much as the Noodler's in my experience. That said Yama-buto is great for tone shift, Ina-ho too.

Apache Sunset and Pelikan 4001 Blue Black

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Sailor Yama Dori

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

J Herbin Bleu Azure shades pretty well.

"Never Say goodbye, because saying goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting,"

-Peter Pan

Noodler's Liberty Elysium

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Liberty's Elysium is a vibrant color, but it's not what I think of as a particularly shading ink. Actually, I find the best shading inks are often either light in color or dull (gray-ish) in color. Too much color saturation works against you.

Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet, with its sibling Bad Blue Heron, is a strong shader. It really is my favorite.

Black Swan in Australian Roses is a super-shading ink, and I think Noodler's Navy probably qualifies too. However, these don't have what I'd call that old-fashioned shading look.

J. Herbin Verte Empire shades very well, if you have good quality, dense paper. It looks old-fashioned.

I got a bottle of Private Reserve Sepia, but I'm ashamed to say I haven't gotten around to giving it a good try-out yet.

The new BSIAR shades beautifully.

Also not mentioned so far (I think), and one of my very favorites: Noodler's Habanero.

Oh, and Waterman Absolute Brown. Glorious shading in a Pelikan medium nib.

Edited by FountainPenCowgirl

Diamine Royal Blue

Waterman South Sea Blue

Diamine Turquoise

Diamine Sepia.

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

Caran d'Ache Saffron is my best shader, for sure. I also get lovely shading from Caran d'Ache Sunset, J. Herbin Rouge Bourgogne and Bleu Myosotis, as well as Mont Blanc Albert Einstein.

Thanks everyone! Now I have a pile of inks to sample. Woohoo!

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

Lamy Vista 1.5 -- Jinhao x750 Ivory, Goulet #6 1.1

Pilot Kon-peki is the only shading ink I have. DeAtriments Cola seems to shade a tiny bit.

#Nope

Noodler's Apache Sunset

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses (original, I haven't tried the new formulation)

J. Herbin Ambre De Birmanie