Stock 1.1 Italic

thw

This is not a fountain pen review.

I have been looking for a pen that I can write ‘fast’ (as the main priority) with variation in line width. I have no idea of where to start but end up purchasing a bunch of pens with stock 1.1 italic.

Personally I have been using fountain pens with EF or SEF for many years.

post-5382-0-57410200-1406252654_thumb.jpg

Sailor profit with music nib – this is more of a stub than italic and there is no problem with the flow. It writes a wet, wide line.

Monteverde Intima with 1.1 italic – a beautiful pen but I have a problem with the italic nib from the start. It skips and writes with a dry line. I have tried flushing and applying gentle pressure. It continues to skip and write a dry line.

post-5382-0-91955300-1406252710_thumb.jpg

I have just received a Monteverde Impressa from gouletpens today with 1.1 italic. It has the chrome version of the 1.1 italic and writes a better line.

TWISB classic with 1.1 italic , Noodler’s walnut – this nib is surprisingly dry. However, there is no skipping during writing so far. The pen is the right size for my hand. I wear size L gloves. This is a piston filler.

post-5382-0-20166800-1406252759_thumb.jpg

TWISB diamond 580 with 1.1 italic, Noodler’s Liberty Elysium – this is an identical if not the same nib as the one on TWISB classic but there is clear sample variation with TWISB nib. The nib on this pen writes a nice wet but wider line subjectively. It is a much bigger pen.

Lamy AL star with 1.1 italic, Noodler’s Polar Black – I have half a dozen of Lamy Al star and I have ordered the 1.1 italic nib. It writes just like any other Lamy Al star – slightly scratchy but nice wet line.

post-5382-0-15810100-1406252821_thumb.jpg

Jinhao 159 with a Goulet 1.1 italic, Noodler’s walnut – this is a big pen that costs US$6 including postage. I ordered 4 of them. I change the nib to the Goulet 1.1 italic. It is smooth, wet and enjoyable pen to write with. The nib has dried up once while capped in drawer and I have primed it once but has not had a problem since then.

post-5382-0-06239200-1406252911_thumb.jpg

The top seven pens in the pen tray are the pens mentioned above..sorry about the quality of images from my phone...

From my limited experience with 1.1 italic, I think the decisions are not hard. If you want a piston filler, get the TWISB. It writes well and is well built. If budget is a problem, the Jinhao 159 (and I suspect any other Jinhao with replacable nib) with a Goulet 1.1 italic is the best value for money. The jinhao and the Goulet nib costs me US$21.00. Monteverde is a beautiful pen with sample variation but from my experience with its italic so far, I will pick TWISB over it.

As for the Sailor pen, there is no doubt about its music nib. It is the only pen here with the gold nib. However, there is less line width variation comparing to the italics.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy….

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thw

• BookCat

• Jamerelbe

• bullshark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reading this I've just scribbled a bit with my Lamy al-Star with their 1.1 nib and a blue Lamy cartridge installed. There's a little feedback on copy paper, but no scratchiness. Maybe there's a need to look at the tines under a loupe and tweak them into alignment, especially after changing a nib - I bought my pen with the nib already installed and factory tested.

Anyway, it's a nice italic nib, smooth-cornered enough for general writing.

My first stop for a value-for-money italic nib would be a Parson's Essential from Mr Pen. I don't know any other pen supplier that offers such a wide choice of nibs. All are checked and adjusted for smooth, wet flow by the guys at Mr Pen. Their customer service is unparalleled.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I use a Goulet 1.1 nib in a Clear Demo Noodler's Konrad...piston filled and the nib writes like a dream...perfect italic combo for me!

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Many thanks for the review.

Another pen I would recommend is the Nemosine Singularity with one of the Italic (stub) nibs which costs around US$15.00 last time I looked. Mine worked falutlessly from the time it arrived without me having to do any treatment to the nib.

Kind regards,

Rui

Have a Goulet stub nib (1.1mm) in a Jinhao x159 and another in an x750 - both pens lay a nice, thick, wet line. The Pilot 78G with a broad nib is a little 'crisper' (the edges aren't as rounded off), but they write really well if you can cope with that; likewise a 1.1mm calligraphy nib in a Kaweco Sport pen (mine's rammed into an AL Sport) - I've been pleasantly surprised by how nicely that writes! I haven't tried the stub nibs available for the Lamy line of pens, but I understand they work pretty well too?

After reading this I've just scribbled a bit with my Lamy al-Star with their 1.1 nib and a blue Lamy cartridge installed. There's a little feedback on copy paper, but no scratchiness. Maybe there's a need to look at the tines under a loupe and tweak them into alignment, especially after changing a nib - I bought my pen with the nib already installed and factory tested.

Anyway, it's a nice italic nib, smooth-cornered enough for general writing.

You are right.

Scratchiness is the wrong choice of word. It is the feedback that i am referring to. The flow and way the nib writes is typical of the Lamy Al star. It is also an affordable pen for many.

My first stop for a value-for-money italic nib would be a Parson's Essential from Mr Pen. I don't know any other pen supplier that offers such a wide choice of nibs. All are checked and adjusted for smooth, wet flow by the guys at Mr Pen. Their customer service is unparalleled.

Many thanks for the review.

Another pen I would recommend is the Nemosine Singularity with one of the Italic (stub) nibs which costs around US$15.00 last time I looked. Mine worked falutlessly from the time it arrived without me having to do any treatment to the nib.

Thanks for the helpful tips...

Wow…. there are stock IF,IM,IB...

Great comparison! I'm liking the Goulet nib in the Jinhao:~]

… I love it…just receive another four Jinhao pens from ebay dealers… just need more nibs.

I use a Goulet 1.1 nib in a Clear Demo Noodler's Konrad...piston filled and the nib writes like a dream...perfect italic combo for me!

Thanks for the suggestion, now i need to get the Konrad...

Have a Goulet stub nib (1.1mm) in a Jinhao x159 and another in an x750 - both pens lay a nice, thick, wet line. The Pilot 78G with a broad nib is a little 'crisper' (the edges aren't as rounded off), but they write really well if you can cope with that; likewise a 1.1mm calligraphy nib in a Kaweco Sport pen (mine's rammed into an AL Sport) - I've been pleasantly surprised by how nicely that writes! I haven't tried the stub nibs available for the Lamy line of pens, but I understand they work pretty well too?

I have been thinking about sending my Pilot 823 medium and Sailor Realo broad to Mike for customisation to crisp italic. I like the flow of these pens.

Will get the Kaweco italic too...

Thanks for the tip..

No worries - got my Kaweco nib from Jetpens. It comes in a Nib assembly designed for a Classic Sport, but it'll fit into any Sport (or other Kaweco?) pen...

So far, my favourite variable line, not flex, nib is the stub on my Monteverde Prima. It's the chrome version and did need to be made a little wetter by running brass shim through the tines after which it's been perfect. This pen is now my equal favourite with my Rosewood Cross Century with buttery 23ct nib.

I needed to do a lot of work on the Safari 1.1 italic, smoothing the sides which annoyed me by catching on the paper as I wrote. I had to do the same to the broad Pilot 78g.

The Monteverde is the only stub I've been happy with straight out of the box, with the exception that it was a little dry. I might try one of the Jinhao pens with a number 6 nib and fit it with a Goulet stub and see how that goes.

So far, my favourite variable line, not flex, nib is the stub on my Monteverde Prima. It's the chrome version and did need to be made a little wetter by running brass shim through the tines after which it's been perfect. This pen is now my equal favourite with my Rosewood Cross Century with buttery 23ct nib.

I needed to do a lot of work on the Safari 1.1 italic, smoothing the sides which annoyed me by catching on the paper as I wrote. I had to do the same to the broad Pilot 78g.

The Monteverde is the only stub I've been happy with straight out of the box, with the exception that it was a little dry. I might try one of the Jinhao pens with a number 6 nib and fit it with a Goulet stub and see how that goes.

Thanks Bookcat…

The Black steel nib on my Monteverde intima is a ‘problem’ nib comparing to the chrome version on Monteverde Impressa. I suspect it is sheer luck I have a bad copy. The chrome version is very nice indeed.

post-5382-0-83864400-1406713209_thumb.jpg

The Jinhao with the Goulet nib writes wet and smooth…I wonder it is the feed of the pen. I have not tried the same nib on my new Jinhao X450.

post-5382-0-62918900-1406713264_thumb.jpg

You probably won’t be disappointed with the Goulet 1.1 on Jinhao 159 as others have testified here.

Enjoy!

Edited by thw

Great Rundown, very helpful. One thing though, it's TWSBI, not TWIBS, you should maybe correct since it would not come up in search if somebody were to search for TWSBI.

Thanks Bullshark,

You are spot on….

The tag was meant to be TWSBI instead of TWIBS...

Now the thread doesn't allow me to edit the tag...

Edited by thw

• 2 weeks later...

Have just taken another look at this thread and the pics of the Monteverde nibs. It looks a little like there isn't enough space between the tines of the black nib. Perhaps try flossing the nib with brass shim and opening the tines by GENTLY bearing down on a flat surface (or something slightly rounded) for a few seconds. This will encourage the tines to open a nano-space. Don't spring the nib by splaying the tines.

Goulet sell the nibs separately, so if this doesn't work, you could always order a chrome stub for the pen; it may not be in keeping with the colour scheme but may write much better. They have a vid about swapping the Monteverde nibs.

Hi BookCat,

You have the eyes like a hawk...

I have tried applying gentle pressure many times. I will try flossing the nib as you have suggested.

Thanks a lot for the tip.

I've recently bought an Al-Star with a 1.1 nib and love it, no issues with scratchyness.

I do miss the spring you find in vintage gold nibs, or steel nibs from Pelikan though.

Any recommendations for a 1.1 nib pen with some 'bounce' ? Either new or vintage.

Edited by Ste_S

I've recently bought an Al-Star with a 1.1 nib and love it, no issues with scratchyness.

I do miss the spring you find in vintage gold nibs, or steel nibs from Pelikan though.

Any recommendations for a 1.1 nib pen with some 'bounce' ? Either new or vintage.

Hi Ste,

All the nibs mentioned in this thread are 'steel' stock italics (sailor is a stub) and thus these nibs are 'stiff' and not as soft as a gold nib.

Here is a thread discussing the flex vs stub and italic nib:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/215091-flex-nibs-vs-stub-and-italic/

I do have a Franklin Christoph 19 with 18K Masuyama medium italic nib. The gold italic nib on this pen is softer than steel nib on other pen and there is more flex in it. However, i have avoided applying extra pressure when writing with my gold italic nib as the desirable line width variation is obvious without applying any extra pressure.

For those who live in the UK one of the best stubs imho, at least equal to the Monteverde (though the pen isn't as nice) was one I bought from a 99p Store. It was in a 'Calligraphy Writing Set' which consisted of a mechanical pencil, leads, pen body in which was a fine round pen, and two extra sections with nibs of an approx 1.1 stub and much larger italic.

I bought this a few weeks ago, it's not on their online site, but may still be in the shops. The body of the pen is a light plastic black. It comes with two cartridges, but I've managed to fit an international convertor on it. It's very smooth and has become one of my go to pens. Recommended if you can get it.

Unfortunately, there are no marks or manufacturer's name on the pen or packaging.

Edited by BookCat