Hello From The Monterey Bay

spillproof

Hello everyone my name is Dave aka Spillproof.

I'm a 43 year-old wildlife biologist living in the Monterey Bay (Seaside), Caifornia. I'm not married but I do have a 5 year old border collie/belgian malinois mix named Coyote that tries to keep me in line.

I wanted to say "Thank You" to all the members and admin here at FPN. I've been lurking for a few months "reseraching" my first big-boy pen and finally committed to a purchase yesterday.

There is a local B&M in Carmel named Bittner Joy of Fine Writing.

The shop specializes in very high-end pens, the type I could never afford, but since the owner is a friend-of-a-friend I was invited to try them all.

And I did ;-) It took me three visits but I can now say I've tried just about every dream pen, and I learned a TON in the process. One thing I learned is that I have champage taste and a Budweiser budget.

My realistic budget was "around $250."

I ended up buying a Visconti Opera Club LE "Purple Nights" with a Dreamtouch 24k/Palladium nib (medium).

It was "on sale" for about half-off - how could I resist, right?

While there I also picked up a couple of Rhodia pads and some Iroshizuku Amairo ink.

Time to practice.

So now that I actually have a "fancy" pen (not just my dads old "barely user grade" Parker51 that needs a new nib), I figure I had better join the ranks.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone.

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by spillproof

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spillproof

• pen2paper

• ac12

• dms525

Hello Dave and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi and welcome to FPN

Good choice there, the Visconti Opera Club is a very good pen..

Enjoy your pen, enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Welcome, Dave !

I am glad you made good use of $250 and did not get stuck with a lowly Parker 51. Go slowly in fountain pen acquisition.

Enjoy each one. I can no longer afford Budweiser. Gonna sell a kidney. :D

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome, Dave !

I am glad you made good use of $250 and did not get stuck with a lowly Parker 51. Go slowly in fountain pen acquisition.

Enjoy each one. I can no longer afford Budweiser. Gonna sell a kidney. :D

LOL

Parker 51's are lovely pens, just not my particular "specimen." It pretty much needed replacement ;-)

I have a few conflicting "hobbies" and have to rotate through my various Acquisition Disorders.

Welcome to FPN! :)

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Welcome to FPN! :W2FPN:

I am glad that you joined us today!

Please feel free to ask us anything about fountain pens and inks.

Please enjoy the forum,

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Hello Dave. Greetings from a neighbor up north in Mendocino county and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hey there Dave,

I am up on the Elkhorn Slough, just in from Moss Landing. Welcome to here. If you are in Santa Cruz or Capitola, check out Palace Arts for Rhoda notebooks at easier prices than Bittner's. Have you met Bob at Bittners? Great guy, loves to talk pens, and a great source of information and help. They also have some inks and pens, with the downtown Santa Cruz having a larger selection. Nothing as nice as Bittner's, but sometimes they have a good deal on "last" pens. I saw a Vanishing Point there last year for $60. Maybe sometime could do a meetup and play with pens/ink. Cheers!

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Hi Andrew. l'm in Seaside now but I've lived in Prunedale (Strawberry Rd. off Elkhorn Slough) and Santa Cruz.

I get up to SC/Capitola pretty regularly and will stop by Palace Arts the next time I'm there - thanks for the reminder!

Yes I've met Bob and his wife, and Jorge. All of the folks at the shop have been very helpful and seem happy to fill up pens.

I'm sure I'll visit frequently- there's a dog beach in Carmel so Coyote let's me go there ;-)

As far as playing with pens and ink goes, I have little to share, but I imagine that will be changing...rapidly.

I did buy some Yama-Budo today.

Hey there Dave,

I am up on the Elkhorn Slough, just in from Moss Landing. Welcome to here. If you are in Santa Cruz or Capitola, check out Palace Arts for Rhoda notebooks at easier prices than Bittner's. Have you met Bob at Bittners? Great guy, loves to talk pens, and a great source of information and help. They also have some inks and pens, with the downtown Santa Cruz having a larger selection. Nothing as nice as Bittner's, but sometimes they have a good deal on "last" pens. I saw a Vanishing Point there last year for $60. Maybe sometime could do a meetup and play with pens/ink. Cheers!

Edited by spillproof

Hello Dave... :W2FPN: ...

'Champage taste and a Budweiser budget'...I think a few of us here know that feeling! :thumbup:

Hi, Dave.

Welcome to FPN!

Seaside had a lot more wild life before Fort Ord was shut down. :lticaptd:

The price of temptation notwithstanding, you are fortunate to have a real pen shop so accessible. I'm envious. And the general neighborhood ain't too shabby, either.

David

Welcome Dave!

Enjoy the "slippery slope" of pens, ink and paper!

Thanks to Andrew C on the Palace Arts recommendation. I do visit my daughter in Santa Cruz/Capitola once a year and will visit the store next time.

Enjoy your Visconti!

Pam

Welcome

And don't miss the SF Pen Show up in the Bay Area next month August 22-24, 2014

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262829-2014-san-francisco-pen-show/

Also there is Peyton Street Pens in Santa Cruz

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi, Dave.

Welcome to FPN!

Seaside had a lot more wild life before Fort Ord was shut down. :lticaptd:

Indeed. "The Former Ft. Ord" is the base of a lot of the wildlife work I do. Pun intended.