tonybelding

I just felt a need to show this off...

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/wahl_monitor/01.jpg

I found that on eBay, it didn't cost much. The nib is marked WAHL, the pocket clip says WAHL PEN, and the very faint, barely visible imprint on the cap says MONITOR. I assumed that Monitor was the model name, but a little research suggested that Monitor was actually a sub-brand of Wahl-Eversharp. Most likely what I have here is a Monitor that some pen restorer found with a missing or broken nib and clip, and they went through their bin of Wahl parts until they found some that would fit. So... It's a mutt. A frankenpen. It has no real collector value as such. However, I'm glad to have it.

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/wahl_monitor/02.jpg

The body and cap are mottled ebonite, and I believe the section and feed are black ebonite. The pocket clip is marked 14K 1/10, meaning that it's "gold filled" with 14K alloy to 1/10th the weight of the clip, not merely plated.

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/wahl_monitor/03.jpg

The nib is gold (I assume 14K), No. 2 -- meaning rather small, but it's a perfect writer: smooth, wet and flexible. It's not the most flexible nib I've ever seen (not as flexible as my Waterman Thorobred), but it's very usable for everyday writing tasks. I can write with my normal hand, no special effort or technique, and get that old-fashioned look that I like.

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/wahl_monitor/04.jpg

For those of you who habitually shop all the websites and catalogs full of new pens, and you've never taken a gamble (it seems so scary!) on a vintage pen... My advice is: dive in! Go for it! There are gems to be found, and nobody makes anything like this anymore.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen2paper

• tonybelding

• estie1948

• playtime

Top Posters In This Topic

showoff:)

beautiful pen-thanks for sharing!

J

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

Nice find! It may not be worth much to a collector, but it's more important that it has value to you.

Buzz

Congratulations on a beautiful pen, Franken or not. I'm glad to see there is someone else around here that enjoys a flex nib, not for how much it can flex but to give one's handwriting a bit of character. I started looking for vintage nib pens when I saw letters and postcards written in the early 1900's with that nice hint of flex. Nice going.

A real beauty!

Nibbed to match.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Lovely...my first vintage flex pen is a Mabie-Todd Swan Minor with a medium #1 nib that flexes to a double broad or maybe a bit more with little effort. I carry it a lot and mostly write normally with it. It's a lovely little pen that writes a beautiful wet line. Right now it's filled with DeAtramentris Steel Blue which has a nice red sheen when it dries on the right paper. I got it for less than a hundred bucks on the 'Bay. I think it should have gone for more but I'm glad more people weren't willing to take a chance on it!

Regards,

brian

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Great looking, great writing pen! Congratulations, you've got a winner there. You know, through the years all of my dogs have been great dogs and almost all my great dogs have been mutts and rescues. Why not the same with a pen? I hope you continue to enjoy using it.

-David.

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.