Dorsal Fin V2, Heki-Tamenuri, 'm' Hard Nib Bought From Nibs.com

RPB

Hi, I was that keen to get it, I tracked it to the local depot then went today to fetch it! They didn't get chance to deliver it or the customs charge letter. LOL.

I was at the depot door wanting it.

I thought I was the only one who annoys the local sorting office with that level of impatience!

It's a once in a lifetime pen though isn't it. I don't own any Nakaya pens but I would like to when I can justify the cost to myself (let alone the wife). I think it's got to be a bucket list item.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RPB

• Finalist

• laserlight

• 4x4xpens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a once in a lifetime pen though isn't it. I don't own any Nakaya pens but I would like to when I can justify the cost to myself (let alone the wife). I think it's got to be a bucket list item.

For ethernautrix, these Nakayas are apparently nine in a lifetime pens :lol:

For ethernautrix, these Nakayas are apparently nine in a lifetime pens :lol:

Perhaps she's a cat, with one Nakaya for each of her 9 lives?

Nakaya's, Omas celluloid paragons and MB 149's how can you ever have enough. I mean everytime I turn around there is another. The new MB 149 Demo with the RG nib SE, the Omas 360 Arco coming and 5 or 5 Nakaya's can't possibly get them all..... But wow the DF Dorsal fin 2 is such a work of art. Yet to see a finish I don't like in that pen....

Best

A DFv2 in Heki-Tamenuri with an elastic nib or architect point is possibly one of my dream pens.

Edited by discopig

I wonder how they hand shape the DFv2? it's obvious how a round pen is turned on a lathe, but how do they create this shape given it is a product line and not a few one-offs?

I wonder how they hand shape the DFv2? it's obvious how a round pen is turned on a lathe, but how do they create this shape given it is a product line and not a few one-offs?

From what I read, this is done by applying a heap (or rather several layers to form a heap) of urushi by hand. Effectively, this is a product line consisting of an ongoing series of hand made one-offs :)

Edited by laserlight

Couldn't resist.. :-)

post-105613-0-60850900-1405970823_thumb.jpg

Nakaya Dorsal Fin II Broad Mottishaw Cursive Italic, Pilot Bamboo Fine, Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Music, Sailor PG Demonstrator MF, Sailor 1911 Cross Music, Pilot Capless LE 2007 Orange M, Platinum 3776 Nice LE Fine.

I thought I was the only one who annoys the local sorting office with that level of impatience!

Alas, no. I'm a serial offender!

Fabulous pen, great to think there's another Nakaya here in the UK!

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

I've noticed some Nakaya's threads for the cap are black and others are the same Urushi treatment as the rest of the FP. Is that an option, or random design?

I've noticed some Nakaya's threads for the cap are black and others are the same Urushi treatment as the rest of the FP. Is that an option, or random design?

The black threads are only for the Aka-Tamenuri pens. The threads are rendered the same as the rest of the fountain pen in other urushi lacquer finishes. Just a quirk of Nakaya, I guess.

From what I read, this is done by applying a heap (or rather several layers to form a heap) of urushi by hand. Effectively, this is a product line consisting of an ongoing series of hand made one-offs :)

If that is true, then this is sort of 'bond'o'ed' into the body? Does that mean it has an off set weight?

the Danitrio Fellowship

No offset in weight. No weight at all really. It's a great pen to write with. The fin sits on the top whilst you write so you see the change of colours of the polished Urushi. Superb to write with and sits very well in the hand.

If that is true, then this is sort of 'bond'o'ed' into the body? Does that mean it has an off set weight?

The bore of my shakuhachi flute is lacquered with urushi, and as far as I can tell the coating is thin, and indeed one shakuhachi maker says that "urushi cures extremely thin and strong". Then again, I wonder if this means that they do not only use urushi for the "heap". Before the top coat(s) of lacquer was applied, my shakuhachi's bore was adjusted with ji, a paste made from a clay powder mixed with urushi. Perhaps a small amount of a similiar paste is used to form the base of the "fin" for urushi to be layered on top, but is still so light that there's no noticeable weight offset.

I was surprised to find out Nakaya uses CAD renderings to mock-up pens. I wonder if they are opposed to using CNC to get some more complicated shapes created.

I could do a writing sample but I'm afraid I cannot write cursive or with a any skill so it will just look 'normal'. Lol