Ink Leaking Into Cap; Problematic When Posting (Parker Sonnet)

Dustin1115

Hey everyone! A quick search didn't seem to turn up any relevant results, so here I am.

A month or two ago, I picked up a Parker Sonnet on a whim (in my neck of the woods, we unfortunately don't have any dedicated fountain pen stores, but my local Staples carries a few of the less-expensive offerings from Parker's product line.) It's the stainless-steel version with a gold-plated steel nib—I opted for a medium. All in all, it's a nice-looking pen for under $100.

However, I've noticed that I often find myself using a Q-tip to soak up excess ink that accumulates inside of the cap when the pen is closed. It's problematic because I like to post this particular pen. If I don't regularly clean the cap, it leaves residual ink on the end of the pen, menacing whatever shirt or jacket I'm wearing.

I use Noodler's Black in the pen—my typical go-to ink. I suspect that this ink might not be viscous enough for the Sonnet, but I'm uncertain. I don't presently have another ink for comparison. Has anyone else run into this problem before? If yes, have you been able to combat it somehow?

I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions!

Regards,

Dustin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• ac12

• Dustin1115

• ReacherCreature

Ink in the cap has MANY possible causes

• Too much forward (towards the nib) motion while capped. Like from being shaken about in a school pack or bouncing around in the car or bus.
  • Pen twirling with the cap on. Centrifical force will pull the ink out of the nib into the cap. Don't do this.
  • Pulling the cap off the pen FAST. Creates a vacuum that draws ink out of the nib into the cap.
  • Pushing/snapping on the cap hard. This creates a forward motion of the nib which could spit ink into the cap.
  • Pen/ink is too WET. In the extreme case the pen could drool ink. Switch to a dry ink to slow down the ink flow.
  • Going from a cool environment into a much warmer environment. The heat increase causes the air in the pen to expand, pushing ink out of the pen into the cap. This warm environment could be a shirt pocket when you wear a jacket, the warm/hot trunk of your car, or a warm/hot office coming from a colder home/car.

Time to do some investigative work.

Clean the cap, then do your usual activities, then clean the cap and see if there is ink. If there is, break the activities in half and clean the cap again. And keep repeating this. What you are trying to do is to narrow in on what activities may be causing the pen to spit ink.

gud luk

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I find that most of my pens will leak some noticeable amount of ink into the cap at some time. I clean it up with Q-tips or by working a facial tissue into the cap to soak up the ink. Even my best pens have done it. Some do it often. I have always expected it was the normal state of things.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 year later...

Ink in the cap has MANY possible causes

• Too much forward (towards the nib) motion while capped. Like from being shaken about in a school pack or bouncing around in the car or bus.
  • Pen twirling with the cap on. Centrifical force will pull the ink out of the nib into the cap. Don't do this.
  • Pulling the cap off the pen FAST. Creates a vacuum that draws ink out of the nib into the cap.
  • Pushing/snapping on the cap hard. This creates a forward motion of the nib which could spit ink into the cap.
  • Pen/ink is too WET. In the extreme case the pen could drool ink. Switch to a dry ink to slow down the ink flow.
  • Going from a cool environment into a much warmer environment. The heat increase causes the air in the pen to expand, pushing ink out of the pen into the cap. This warm environment could be a shirt pocket when you wear a jacket, the warm/hot trunk of your car, or a warm/hot office coming from a colder home/car.

Time to do some investigative work.

Clean the cap, then do your usual activities, then clean the cap and see if there is ink. If there is, break the activities in half and clean the cap again. And keep repeating this. What you are trying to do is to narrow in on what activities may be causing the pen to spit ink.

gud luk

Thanks, had the same problem and will try your tipps.

This happens with every open nib vintage pen I own to some extent, but not to the point where I get significant ink on the section or on the barrel when posting. It's less common with modern pens. If you're experiencing enough ink in the cap to leave ink on the barrel when posting, I think you have a problem - possibly an air leak.

If you're using a converter, try the pen with a cartridge and see if the problem persists.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

When you fill pens with a converter you should let three to four drops back into the ink bottle. It apparently allows some air to get into the converter so it will flow properly. I have had issues like this with other kinds of fillers, lever and piston, but rarely as much as you report. I have had it happen, though. I wondered what the heck when the barrel end of a pen had ink after capping the pen.

Fountain pens are an older technology, and I think we can expect some odd and inconvenient occurrences from time to time. I think you have to put up with some of this if you are going to carry a pen with a supply of liquid ink that's capillary fed to the tip of the point. I always just accepted these things as the cost of doing business with a fountain pen. I was grateful for the pens which only got a little ink in the cap instead of springing big leaks from failing sacs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.