Diamine Sapphire Blue Smells Like Mould (Mold)?

SNAK

EclecticCollector, thanks for doing the sniff test for me. I think we can now label the Sapphire Blue as a bit of a stinker, but safe.

Your "old bathroom linoleum" smell description is interesting. I was brave and went to take another whiff of the bottle (at arms length), and although I still would describe it as "mouldy" type of smell, after having read your description of it, the memory of my grandmother's old wardrobe with fur coat and wool shawls and moth balls and everything else came to my mind. It is really interesting that the sense of smell is so subjective.

Edited by SNAK

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SNAK

• Bookman

• mhosea

• EclecticCollector

Bookman, it would be great if you can still let us know what Goulet has to say about the smell, if you hear back from them. Thanks again!

10-4

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

There are a lot of dye-related smells from certain Diamine inks that are just that. No worries.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I was brave and went to take another whiff of the bottle (at arms length)

I always considered my sense of smell to be sharper than average, but apparently yours is sharper still - I can comfortably take a sniff with the mouth of the bottle directly below my nose. :)

I hate you guys, you made me smell my inks. That's something I had never thought of doing.. haha!

Nothing noxious to report.

Hey all, I think you've arrived at the same conclusion as us - it must be the dye components causing the smell. I know of a lot of other brands whose inks smell pungent (Organics Studio and De Atramentis have a few that smell like an old lady's attic to me), but are not mold. I've never heard of Diamine Sapphire Blue actually growing mold in any ink bottles or pens. So probably just the dye smell. But of course, if anyone has a report to the contrary, please let us know!

Thanks Rachel, I am sure you have smelt a lot more inks than I have, so I will happily take your word for it. I will still keep the little Sapphire Blue bottle aside for a bit for smelling naughty. :)

Thanks again everyone for your input! Much appreciated.

Hey all, I think you've arrived at the same conclusion as us - it must be the dye components causing the smell. I know of a lot of other brands whose inks smell pungent (Organics Studio and De Atramentis have a few that smell like an old lady's attic to me), but are not mold. I've never heard of Diamine Sapphire Blue actually growing mold in any ink bottles or pens. So probably just the dye smell. But of course, if anyone has a report to the contrary, please let us know!

Thanks for looking into this for us, Rachel.

Terrific ink, by the way. Purplish-blue. And it kills fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes.

Terrific ink, by the way. Purplish-blue.

Oh, yeah. Performance is impeccable. For those new to the ink, note that the color is significantly more purplish when wet. When dry it is purplish compared to some blues, but when considered on its own, it is, while admittedly a bit purplish, quite definitely "blue". I tried to capture both the wet and dry colors in this scan. It is the line labeled DSB.

14440531753_819b7ccb7b.jpg

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Oh, yeah. Performance is impeccable. For those new to the ink, note that the color is significantly more purplish when wet. When dry it is purplish compared to some blues, but when considered on its own, it is, while admittedly a bit purplish, quite definitely "blue". I tried to capture both the wet and dry colors in this scan. It is the line labeled DSB.

14440531753_819b7ccb7b.jpg

I'm ordering a bottle of Diamine Sapphire Blue. It would be convenient, though, if I could develop a taste for turquoise and teal. All my blue inks are starting to look alike.

Those are some beautiful blues. I remembered why I ordered Sapphire Blue in the first place.

I think I will give her a couple of more days of time out for smelling naughty, and then will let her join her siblings.

Did someone say they didn't smell the ink when writing with it? Does this ink shade nicely, or is it too saturated for good shading? I am curious now and would like to ink it in my new Franken TWSBI with Wet Noodle nib that I got from Mauricio. :unsure: Hmmmm. Should I risk the olfactory assault?

All the inks in my Flower Set smell like this, which made me very nervous, when I got it. So I contacted the company and was told:

Different ink colours can vary in how they are formulated, the odour is coming from one of the dye's used, it can smell a bit musty sometimes.

I can confirm it is not contaminated and is completly safe to use.

So, don't worry, everything is fine, enjoy the ink.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Yes, MUSTY is the perfect word for that smell. I must have had the wires mixed up in my head and as Mouldy and Musty often happened together in my experience, my brain must have short circuited and I overreacted with reverse placebo allergy symptoms to boot.

Yep. This ink smells Musty, not Mouldy. Worth repeating that.

Sapphire Blue is a bit more purple in my pens. Please forgive the bleeding due to the crappy copier paper, but it dries to the same color on Moleskine, Midori, and Tomoe River as well.

Edited by EclecticCollector

I don't think my scan is very close to being adjusted correctly. Waterman Purple, for example should have more red than it appears on my monitor, or perhaps there is too much green all around in my scan. Maybe they look the same, respectively, in person.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Sapphire blue is only very slightly purple. Compared with mediterranean blue here. The paper is crappy quality student notepaper, so lots of feathering

http://i.imgur.com/UNbEdLZ.jpg

Edited by WateryFlow