My Copper Esterbrook SJ

ushat

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/ushat/estie.jpg

There it is. Isn't it lovely? But wait... look at that nib! That's not an Esterbrook nib!

(Hangs head in shame) When I bought it, the nib had seen better days. In fact, it was a paper-slicer. So I popped in an Osmiroid Rolatip Fine. They have the same threads. It writes beautifully.

Fear not; this offence against nature will not be allowed to continue. Even now, a 9461 Rigid Fine Manifold Renew-Point Nib made of Master Duracrome is winging its way across the Atlantic and I'll be waiting at the airport, pen in hand.

Gordon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ushat

• wimg

• Brian Anderson

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Osmiroid nibs are very nice and people look for them specifically for Esterbrooks. It's so commonly done I'm not even sure it's considered a Frankenpen. What say you Brian?

BTW, that's my favorite Estie. It's the one I kept in my drawer and held in my hand once in a while because it "spoke" to me. It didn't work. I bought it off eBay before I knew anything about fountain pens. When I got to the point where I did my own repairs, I repaired it and it has an honored spot in my nice desk case (Where my favorite non-inked pens live)

It's funny that you should post this now, Ushat! I was just thinking about my Osmiroid 65 pen that is still at a repair shop; if they can't fix its music nib, I was thinking of using some of my Esterbrook Renew-Point nibs in it.

It was the search for Osmiroids (or Hemorrhoids, as they were known in my schooldays) that started me hunting ebay. The 75 piston fillers are very popular among calligraphers and I was constantly being asked for them. I have several 65s which I think are just as good.

It was a sad day for the bank balance when I found ebay...

Gordon

Osmiroid nibs are very nice and people look for them specifically for Esterbrooks. It's so commonly done I'm not even sure it's considered a Frankenpen. What say you Brian?

Osmiroid, Venus, and yes, even Pelikan M200 nibs will screw into Esterbrook. Whether or not you want to call it a frankenpen or not depends on how true to original you want to be. If you want to use it and try all the various nibs available, do it! If you want it for originality, it's easy enough to pop the original back in.

So, really, it's your call. After all, I've seen worse, like an aero 51 stuck inside a J barrel. Now THAT's a frankenpen. :)

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Hi ushat,

I've been putting Osmiroid nibs in Esterbrooks since about 1972 when I got my 1st Osmiroid. And my 1st Esterbrook was--you guessed it--a Copper SJ, bought in 1953, followed by a Light Blue Purse Pen in 1957. I was delighted that the nibs were interchangable because my Esterbrooks were prettier.

For some reason, I don't think of nib swapping as frankenpen creating. When a section plus the nib are swapped, then I do.

Ann

Hi Brian,

Osmiroid, Venus, and yes, even Pelikan M200 nibs will screw into Esterbrook. 
Wow, that's cool, I'll try that out tonight, M200 nib in Estie. The nib I have on there currently is a bit narrow to my taste, and I have plenty of M200 nibs floating around here :D.

Cool!

Thanks for that tip...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wow, that's cool, I'll try that out tonight, M200 nib in Estie. The nib I have on there currently is a bit narrow to my taste, and I have plenty of M200 nibs floating around here :D.

Cool!

Thanks for that tip...

Warm regards, Wim

One owrd of caution on the m200 nibs, they don't seat all the way like other nibs do, so you have to e careful screwing on the cap or you'll mess up the nib. It's not pretty but it does work. :)

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

One owrd of caution on the m200 nibs, they don't seat all the way like other nibs do, so you have to e careful screwing on the cap or you'll mess up the nib.  It's not pretty but it does work.  :)

Best-

Brian

Hi Brian,

Ok, thanks. I'll be VERY careful :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Ushat,

You should be ashamed having created such a frankenpen! You should send it to me IMMEDIATELY for proper disposal <_< :ph34r: ;)

southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Cool!

Thanks for that tip...

Warm regards, Wim

One owrd of caution on the m200 nibs, they don't seat all the way like other nibs do, so you have to e careful screwing on the cap or you'll mess up the nib. It's not pretty but it does work. :)

Best-

Brian

I wonder if modifying the inner cap - drilling out the top of it - would protect the Pelikan nib?

Gerry

Ushat,

You should be ashamed having created such a frankenpen! You should send it to me IMMEDIATELY for proper disposal <_< :ph34r: ;)

southpaw

You should be ashamed having created such a frankenpen! You should send it to me IMMEDIATELY for proper disposal

Oh, I would! Honestly! If it wasn't going to get an Estie nib imminently, that is...

Gordon

Hi Gerry,

I wonder if modifying the inner cap - drilling out the top of it - would protect the Pelikan nib?

Gerry

What are you suggesting? Heresy, I say, heresy. And that from an Esterbrook forum moderator... tssk, tssk, tssk... :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

:blush:

Sigh.... I know. And to suggest such a thing to protect a lousy Pelikan nib as well - double heresy.

Still, inner caps abound. Lots of replacements out there to restore the Estie when the user tires of the M200, and returns to the fold with a genuine Estie nib.

Gerry

Oh, I would! Honestly! If it wasn't going to get an Estie nib imminently, that is...

Too late! As part of your penitance, it must be disposed of immediately if you are to be redeemed! Send the instrument of sin to me at once for proper purging!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

The funny thing about sin is how you become accustomed to it. First little sin or two your conscience is howling and shrieking like the banshee but in my declining years with a well-blackened soul all I can hear is a distant, easily ignored squeak.

I'll keep the pen and wallow in my sin, southpaw.

Gordon