"modern Vintage" Flex Options…The Desiderata Pen Company

PrestoTenebroso

From J-Stuff, they are packaged as Deleter Zebra G nibs

Here's a picture how that difference on the G looks like: http://powflip.com/data/photographs/jetpens2.jpg

I've got Zebra, Tachikawa?, Nikko embossed (from Blots Pen and Ink UK) and Zebra & Nikko engraved (from j-stuff germany) nibs.

Edited by bardiir

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PrestoTenebroso

• KBeezie

• Cryptos

• kidde

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pierre somehow figured out how to make his pens flow with the dip nib. I clean and dry the nib after every use and have had no corrosion yet. What he has provided us with is what we wished the PumpPen had been, a reliable flex pen that works. Once filled and primed it just plain works, until out of ink. It flows better than any modern flex and every bit as good as my Blackbird. The biggest difference is the Daedelus will flex more and I'm not scared of breaking the $2 Zebra G nib.

post-109411-0-17280400-1408220008_thumb.jpg

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

It's 01.00 am here, and I'm really tired but I have gotten the pen and had the time to play with it.

All I can say is I'm very impressed with the flex, it really works great and don't railroad too much either.

The perfect flex pen for a beginner with a good price too. Downside is the nib is not stainless and will rust sooner or later and it's a bit scrachy, but you can still work with it. On the other hand, you can flex the (bleep) of it and don't worry to spring it which you can do with a vintage gold nib (I destryed a nib worth 500$) and the nib has also more flex than a vintage nib anyway

very good work pierre

Thank you. And EXACTLY. I'm really sorry you lost that expensive nib, but maybe you can cut your teeth on my pen and then, when you're ready for the big boys again, if you can get a deal, get a good gold nib.

Pierre somehow figured out how to make his pens flow with the dip nib. I clean and dry the nib after every use and have had no corrosion yet. What he has provided us with is what we wished the PumpPen had been, a reliable flex pen that works. Once filled and primed it just plain works, until out of ink. It flows better than any modern flex and every bit as good as my Blackbird. The biggest difference is the Daedelus will flex more and I'm not scared of breaking the $2 Zebra G nib.

That's very pleasant to hear, Paul!

Wow, just wow! That's all I can say.

Sorry I missed this thread (and the pens). Let's hope there's more where they came from! :)

I will drool for the ebonite with aerometric filler. I did not see the pricing on the Etsy page, because it was already sold when I looked at it. What is the price you are considering for the ebonite version?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Wow, just wow! That's all I can say.

Sorry I missed this thread (and the pens). Let's hope there's more where they came from! :)

The thread is not over. You should have a chance to buy one soon!

I will drool for the ebonite with aerometric filler. I did not see the pricing on the Etsy page, because it was already sold when I looked at it. What is the price you are considering for the ebonite version?

I'm still trying to figure out a pricing set for my pens, but I'll say everything should be very sub $100. I'll let you all know when I have more details than that.

By the way, if you need any help designing or setting up your website, just let me know. I make websites and webapps for a living. :)

I follow few threads, but I always check this one. My sample size is only one, for now, but it has to grow. I've bought, sold and traded quite a few flex pens. Been disappointed by promises that never showed, hidden damage and my own ignorance. I noticed Bo Bo Olsen seemed to always make the same points, and to find flex in other than vintage dip pens were it.

When picked to be a beta tester for Pierre I was a little cynical. But after seeing some of his writing I felt he had knowledge to use them, hoped he had the ability to make them. He does. I have tried using Hunt, Guillot and others in standard fps and could never achieve consistently satisfactory flow. Pierre does. While the Zebra G requires more maintenance (cleaning) it delivers what the others don't and can't without major modification.

I'm not a paid spokesman, and in fact I have only shared a few emails with him. He seems nice enough, but my interest is in his pens and what they can do. Since he is selling them as fast as he makes them he needs no help from me. But I will tell you that if you want a flex pen for under $100, and he has shown some models that may go less than $75, his are the only true flex pens out there.

Pierre had a dream about making a modern flex pen. He could have developed a new nib which would have tripled the price. Using a common dip nib that is chrome plated helps fight corrosion, but will eventually need replaced for roughly $2 each.

I'd like to thank Pierre for achieving his dream. But mostly I wish to thank him for sharing it with us.

Any one live near Dalas Texas that would like to try it PM me. I will also carry it to the Dallas Pen show and allow others there to try it. I have this much faith in his dream and in him to do as he says.

Paul

Edited by kidde

I follow few threads, but I always check this one. My sample size is only one, for now, but it has to grow. I've bought, sold and traded quite a few flex pens. Been disappointed by promises that never showed, hidden damage and my own ignorance. I noticed Bo Bo Olsen seemed to always make the same points, and to find flex in other than vintage dip pens were it.

When picked to be a beta tester for Pierre I was a little cynical. But after seeing some of his writing I felt he had knowledge to use them, hoped he had the ability to make them. He does. I have tried using Hunt, Guillot and others in standard fps and could never achieve consistently satisfactory flow. Pierre does. While the Zebra G requires more maintenance (cleaning) it delivers what the others don't and can't without major modification.

I'm not a paid spokesman, and in fact I have only shared a few emails with him. He seems nice enough, but my interest is in his pens and what they can do. Since he is selling them as fast as he makes them he needs no help from me. But I will tell you that if you want a flex pen for under $100, and he has shown some models that may go less than $75, his are the only true flex pens out there.

Pierre had a dream about making a modern flex pen. He could have developed a new nib which would have tripled the price. Using a common dip nib that is chrome plated helps fight corrosion, but will eventually need replaced for roughly $2 each.

I'd like to thank Pierre for achieving his dream. But mostly I wish to thank him for sharing it with us.

Any one live near Dalas Texas that would like to try it PM me. I will also carry it to the Dallas Pen show and allow others there to try it. I have this much faith in his dream and in him to do as he says.

Paul

Wow, Paul. That's really nice of you to say! I really appreciate your acknowledgement of my hard work. That's motivation that helps a struggling musician/penmaker get up in the morning!

By the way I went ahead and ordered a box of Zebra G nibs, as well as a 3 pack of Nikko G Model, and 3 pack of Tachikawa G Model nibs. (just in case there is a difference).

I'll follow up with how I like them. With the current nib (Zebra-G) on the Desiderata, with a little practice the strokes are getting smoother and easier to go thru, seems like I have to be a bit more conscious on the lifting pressure when changing direction on the higher performance flex nibs.

Speaking of which, that's 16 nibs all together, if a couple folks who got the same pen would like a spare I could probably drop one wrapped into an envelope.

Will you have more pens available for purchase?

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.". Matthew 4:19

By the way I went ahead and ordered a box of Zebra G nibs, as well as a 3 pack of Nikko G Model, and 3 pack of Tachikawa G Model nibs. (just in case there is a difference).

I'll follow up with how I like them. With the current nib (Zebra-G) on the Desiderata, with a little practice the strokes are getting smoother and easier to go thru, seems like I have to be a bit more conscious on the lifting pressure when changing direction on the higher performance flex nibs.

Speaking of which, that's 16 nibs all together, if a couple folks who got the same pen would like a spare I could probably drop one wrapped into an envelope.

Thanks (above).

16 nibs sound good. With practice, I hope you enjoy it more.

"seems like I have to be a bit more conscious on the lifting pressure when changing direction on the higher performance flex nibs."

You're entirely right. I've used the Zebra G, Hunt 22s and 101s and Gillott 303s, and they all have to be mastered with the same attitude of "learn to handle the nib before you try to write anything." The Zebra G, though is about 2 orders of magnitude easier to tackle, though, than the most extreme of those I listed, though. So your travails should show results sooner rather than later.

Pierre, I'm sorry but that wasn't for you. I threw away quite a bit of time and money trying to find/make a reliable flex pen that wouldn't be ruined by an accident. Vintage nibs are tough to find and are the heart of the old pens. My attempts to make a reliable frankenpen always came up short. Then this guy from Chicago proved it possible, so it was me that was lacking. I'll recover.

Keep heading in the same direction, you have a market. I'll point others your way as long as you keep your focus and make pens that work.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't get to be a Beta tester, but it's intriguing to read that this is like the Ackerman but without the flow issues! And so much more elegant too. I'm a strong believer in that the humble dip pen is superior to vintage gold flex pens. Only one is meant for actual calligraphy after all, and this is just what I (and the countless calligraphers and artists out there) have hoped for! I can't wait for you to begin regular production! I've got my eye on that little blonde wooden one at the back.

From what I've seen so far, I think the finish on the section could be better, and the roll stopper a little less rustic. Maybe you could incorporate your logo either onto the roll stopper or top of the cap.

Also, I didn't realize that people considered the Zebra G to be scratchy. I always loved them for being so smooth! The Leonardt Principal, now that's what I call crisp.

I didn't get to be a Beta tester, but it's intriguing to read that this is like the Ackerman but without the flow issues! And so much more elegant too. I'm a strong believer in that the humble dip pen is superior to vintage gold flex pens. Only one is meant for actual calligraphy after all, and this is just what I (and the countless calligraphers and artists out there) have hoped for! I can't wait for you to begin regular production! I've got my eye on that little blonde wooden one at the back.

From what I've seen so far, I think the finish on the section could be better, and the roll stopper a little less rustic. Maybe you could incorporate your logo either onto the roll stopper or top of the cap.

Also, I didn't realize that people considered the Zebra G to be scratchy. I always loved them for being so smooth! The Leonardt Principal, now that's what I call crisp.

Thank you.

Rustic?

Crisp!

• 1 month later...

Looks like you sucked me in for a Western Frontier second. I've been shopping vintage flexy nibs for a bit, but :excl: ing up vintage gold would have me crying. Almost went for a FA nib until I saw your other post earlier today. Looking forward to this one.

Edited by NinthSphere