"modern Vintage" Flex Options…The Desiderata Pen Company

PrestoTenebroso

EBONITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I need to tone it down, my Konrad Rebellion Red Ripple and Noodler's Green/Black Ripple Ebonite pens might get jealous...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Do you mean, "I want ebonite!" or "Yay! It has ebonite!"

Course from my understanding of the rather lengthy user manual that came with the pen, the Zebra-G nib will likely need replacing sooner than a Noodler's nib, especially as it get scratchier the more it's used.

Yeah, it's not stainless.

This is one of the few pens that would really tempt me. None available though :(

I really like the Zebra G as a dip pen. Don't find it scratchy at all, but then in my normal hand I seem to apply practically no pressure anyway. If adding flex then I tend to slow down quite a lot. 'Sides which, you get the cheapness of buying dip pens (a dollar per pen) with the convenience of a dedicated ink reservoir in a beautiful presentation case!

I Just hope Pierre gets his finger out and starts producing a few more.(You hear me Pierre? ;) )

EDIT: I was wondering how the feed would be done. Thanks for the pictures KB, now I know.

Get my finger out of what?

Sit tight. You'll have a chance to buy one. Let's see what September holds.

Wow. I'm torn between the black one with a window, and the wooden one... really remarkable work, here! The only thing that might hold me back from the wood one is that I prefer a pen that posts, but even so, that's gorgeous.

Thank you! I have reasonably sized hands, I think these feel pretty good unposted.

And some quick scribbles with some Diamine Grey.

fpn_1407803316__write_dgray.jpg

Thanks KBeezie! Nice shading you got there. Thank you for posting!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PrestoTenebroso

• KBeezie

• Cryptos

• kidde

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks KBeezie! Nice shading you got there. Thank you for posting!

And some Diamine Eclipse, nothing much, just mimicking what I did before.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/desiderata_flex/write-eclipse.jpg

Get my finger out of what?

I'm sorry. It just occurred to me that this may not be a common expression on the other side of the Herring Pond. Apologies if it was misunderstood.

(old military saying, generally means to get on with doing something)

I'm sorry. It just occurred to me that this may not be a common expression on the other side of the Herring Pond. Apologies if it was misunderstood.

(old military saying, generally means to get on with doing something)

Hey Cryptos, you'll have to take my word for it that I don't have my finger in anything other than this and my job as a working pianist. You'd wonder where I find the time to practice.

When the next batch is ready please let us know, I would like to have one with ink window.
Thanks.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Indeed I would, but the expression was meant in jest, as I am sure you are working as hard as you can!

No hard feelings. Thanks for clairfying! I was working until 2am last night, and there was a pile of dust in my workshop over 3" thick!

When the next batch is ready please let us know, I would like to have one with ink window.

Thanks.

You'll hear all about it!

Well now that's interesting. While I've tried various #6 nibs (ie: just like the nemosine), those kind of expand the section out a little like an oblique so didn't feel like attempting it with the feed since it'd create too much of a gap on the side. However the nib width and how straight the Zero G is reminded me of how 'straight' the Pilot nibs are on the 78G, Metropolitan, Plumix, Penmanship, etc.

Sure enough, the Broad/Stub fits right onto the round ebonite feed and goes into the section without spreading it into an oblique, and the breather hold is just far back enough to work well with the feed. No issues I can see and flow is good.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/desiderata_flex/pilotnib.jpg

edit: and removing the nib and putting it back onto the 78G works just fine (ie: the nib is not altered by fitting it onto the feed, there's no bevel or such to snag, it's simply flat/straight at the right width).

Edited by KBeezie

Sure enough, the Broad/Stub fits right onto the round ebonite feed and goes into the section without spreading it into an oblique, and the breather hold is just far back enough to work well with the feed. No issues I can see and flow is good.

[...]

edit: and removing the nib and putting it back onto the 78G works just fine (ie: the nib is not altered by fitting it onto the feed, there's no bevel or such to snag, it's simply flat/straight at the right width).

This is really good news, since the stub nib from my 78G is my favorite so far! The Desiderata pen is waiting for me at the post office right and I cannot wait until I get back from work today...

Pierre, might I ask why I've seen no reviews? I know that you are past beta and offering sales on Etsy, I can understand why I've seen no negative reviews, but Karl has posted the only writing samples I've seen. Plus I'm Texan and may have the "right" to remain silent, but I do not possess that ability!

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Pierre, might I ask why I've seen no reviews? I know that you are past beta and offering sales on Etsy, I can understand why I've seen no negative reviews, but Karl has posted the only writing samples I've seen. Plus I'm Texan and may have the "right" to remain silent, but I do not possess that ability!

Paul

Paul, that sounds like a question for the people who've purchased them!

It's 01.00 am here, and I'm really tired but I have gotten the pen and had the time to play with it.

All I can say is I'm very impressed with the flex, it really works great and don't railroad too much either.

The perfect flex pen for a beginner with a good price too. Downside is the nib is not stainless and will rust sooner or later and it's a bit scrachy, but you can still work with it. On the other hand, you can flex the (bleep) of it and don't worry to spring it which you can do with a vintage gold nib (I destryed a nib worth 500$) and the nib has also more flex than a vintage nib anyway

very good work pierre

Paul

Tried some Noodler's Apache Sunset after I did some feed/nib adjustment (ie: reseating and aligning it to prevent a leak from the neck of section/feed, which seems to be fine now)

A write sample on Rhodia (No.11 pad).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/desiderata_flex/sunset.jpg

A link to the above scan at 600 DPI (576KB in size): http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/desiderata_flex/sunset_600dpi.jpg

And a Link to a 600 DPI Scan of some Staples Arc paper while I was adjusting the nib and feed, with comparison to my Pilot Falcon (Soft Fine, Apache Sunset), and Pilot Elite Mini (Soft Fine, Liberty's Elysium), with the final part being the Desiderata again.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/desiderata_flex/write_adjust.jpg (3.6MB)

Needless to say the Zebra-G nib is scratchy, especially on paper that's not quite as smooth as Rhodia, resulting in the occasional snag against the paper on the upstrokes in particular (note the spatter in the upper right of the Staple's page). But boy does it flex...

On the other hand, you can flex the (bleep) of it and don't worry to spring it which you can do with a vintage gold nib (I destryed a nib worth 500$) and the nib has also more flex than a vintage nib anyway

It's nice when you consider you can get a box of ten Zebra-G nibs for around $12-13. I just wish they were smoother, but they work.
Edited by KBeezie

I am beginning to wonder if there are two varieties of Zebra G nibs out there because the one I am using is nice and smooth on Rhodia paper, and only starts to get toothy when some significant pressure is applied. Hmmm http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/thinking.gif

I am beginning to wonder if there are two varieties of Zebra G nibs out there because the one I am using is nice and smooth on Rhodia paper, and only starts to get toothy when some significant pressure is applied. Hmmm http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/thinking.gif

There's only one. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes, less good. Dip nibs can be like that. It's best to have a few spares just in case, and take good care of it. A good one can afford great pleasure for months under proper care.

There's only one. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes, less good. Dip nibs can be like that. It's best to have a few spares just in case, and take good care of it. A good one can afford great pleasure for months under proper care.

Course to add to this, It's a "full flex" nib, from my understanding that can require some discipline in how you handle the nib, how light or heavy the stroke is, or which angle you write.

While I have over 30 pens, some with soft nibs, some with very firm nibs, none of them have more flex than my Pilot Falcon's Soft Fine, thus making the Desiderata my first "Full Flex", also because it is a dip pen nib, I may simply put not be handling the nib for optimum usage.

But I want to order some replacement nibs to eliminate that possibility. Since the one I got there had already been some corrosion (or just heavy dark staining that I couldn't rub out) on the underside of the nib where the feed tip is, I may just need to replace the nib to eliminate the possibility. They are not stainless nibs so I'd imagine whichever ink was used for testing probably sets in pretty easy given enough time.

Again, first time I've used a full-flex so could be my technique, or it could even be that the nib itself wasn't one of the "good" ones, they are afterall a $1 nib, and I'm going to need to replace them anyways. The current one is usable on Rhodia, just a little harder to use on cheaper paper, but it's the only full flex nib I have, got no others for comparison.

PS: In a nutshell, where else are you going to get that range of flex without modification as a self filling fountain pen for under $80?

Edited by KBeezie

Pierre, I'm one of the beta testers for the Daedalus. I hope I'm crossing no lines and that I somehow missed the note allowing us seven to speak. I will wait for your approval before I give my review, I gave my word and shall keep it.

Paul

I promised not to publish any information. I will say that had any of these pens been available I would have bought it. Sold out before I had a chance. Pierre has done something he was told couldn't be done. Trust me when I say it has no competition. After you use one, you will see.

Edited by kidde

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Pierre, I'm one of the beta testers for the Daedalus. I hope I'm crossing no lines and that I somehow missed the note allowing us seven to speak. I will wait for your approval before I give my review, I gave my word and shall keep it.

Paul

I promised not to publish any information. I will say that had any of these pens been available I would have bought it. Sold out before I had a chance. Pierre has done something he was told couldn't be done. Trust me when I say it has no competition. After you use one, you will see.

Hey Paul, thanks for the endorsement! As far as your silence, I was mostly addressing that to the body of the pen; ergonomically, and fit-wise, what I'm making now is leaps ahead of what I sent you. But the guts of the pen, what makes it write, is almost exactly the same as what you have. Has it continued to work for you? Have you changed the nib yet?

Course to add to this, It's a "full flex" nib, from my understanding that can require some discipline in how you handle the nib, how light or heavy the stroke is, or which angle you write.

While I have over 30 pens, some with soft nibs, some with very firm nibs, none of them have more flex than my Pilot Falcon's Soft Fine, thus making the Desiderata my first "Full Flex", also because it is a dip pen nib, I may simply put not be handling the nib for optimum usage.

But I want to order some replacement nibs to eliminate that possibility. Since the one I got there had already been some corrosion (or just heavy dark staining that I couldn't rub out) on the underside of the nib where the feed tip is, I may just need to replace the nib to eliminate the possibility. They are not stainless nibs so I'd imagine whichever ink was used for testing probably sets in pretty easy given enough time.

Again, first time I've used a full-flex so could be my technique, or it could even be that the nib itself wasn't one of the "good" ones, they are afterall a $1 nib, and I'm going to need to replace them anyways. The current one is usable on Rhodia, just a little harder to use on cheaper paper, but it's the only full flex nib I have, got no others for comparison.

PS: In a nutshell, where else are you going to get that range of flex without modification as a self filling fountain pen for under $80?

Thanks Karl! You're spot on about the discipline. A friend of mine said that when you get a high performance car, there's a learning curve to using it, simply because you can do more with it, you have more potential for…catastrophe. "You have to learn to handle it, like driving a sports car–you don't want to strip the transmission because you're not used to having to shift gears."

I know of at least two varieties of Zebra-G. There are ones with en embossed G that stands out and one with en engraved G that is flat on the nib. Both are marketed as Zebra G nibs. The ones with the flat G have a tiny bit more flex and are better for transplanting into the TWSBI feed without grinding down the G too.

Edited by bardiir

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

I know of at least two varieties of Zebra-G. There are ones with en embossed G that stands out and one with en engraved G that is flat on the nib. Both are marketed as Zebra G nibs. The ones with the flat G have a tiny bit more flex and are better for transplanting into the TWSBI feed without grinding down the G too.

Intriguing. I have never seen this nib. The only ZEBRA Gs I've been able to find are embossed. Are you sure they were Zebras? I've seen a few different brands of G nibs, and they're all embossed. Where did you get these? When?

Edited by PrestoTenebroso