"modern Vintage" Flex Options…The Desiderata Pen Company

PrestoTenebroso

ive had the most luck with holding the underside of my dip nibs over a flame for a few seconds, then dipping into a cup of distilled water and then scrubbing it clean and dry with a paper towel.

and always avoiding touching with my bare fingers ofcourse.

i also wonder how the G nibs will handle being in a pen for extended periods in contact with ink.

The Zebra G does better than all the rest, but it will succumb to the inevitable eventually if poorly treated. If you take good care of the nib when you're done, I've had them last for months.

I really like your idea, it's really a poor mans flex pen, expect the heart break to crack a rare gold nib :-) Belive me, I know.
I do happen to own some zebra g-nibs (bought from jetpens), very flexy but also very scratchy, and to be able to use the nib, isen't it recommended to lick/burn/vinager treat the nib to be able to really pick up ink?
One other downside is, I once left the nib wet with water in a old sterling silver penholder, when I checked out the pen later, the nib had rusted and spred it into the metal parts inside the nibholder, so what I know they aren't stainless steel, they are chrome plated...or does it exist differt kind of nibs?
Next time you sell this pens, I'll buy one
/mirjam

The nibs you buy from me will be clean and ready to use. There is a stainless option, but the flex isn't as good, and you pay a price premium. If you want to look at it as the poor man's flex pen, go ahead, but, I think you'll like what you can make it do. It's an elegant compromise for an imperfect world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PrestoTenebroso

• KBeezie

• Cryptos

• kidde

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Purpleheart and Cedar flex fountain pen seconds are available at 33% off. If you want one, you'd better get one now, this will be your last chance. Details on the Etsy page.

I noticed it states:

"•For $10 additional through paypal, you can have a Nemosine .8mm stub italic or an EF IN ADDITION TO the Zebra G. Both are compatible."

Does that mean it's a #6 fitting? And if so would something like a Goulet EF fit (which is much better quality than those $6 Nemosine nib, in my opinion). Was just curious after the fact as I just ordered one.

I noticed it states:

"•For $10 additional through paypal, you can have a Nemosine .8mm stub italic or an EF IN ADDITION TO the Zebra G. Both are compatible."

Does that mean it's a #6 fitting? And if so would something like a Goulet EF fit (which is much better quality than those $6 Nemosine nib, in my opinion). Was just curious after the fact as I just ordered one.

i can't be sure because i don't have a Nemosine nib, but i do have some G nibs and none of my #6 size feeds will fit inside it. including a Noodler's #6 size feed.

i have a couple vintage Waterman feeds for their #2 nibs, and they do seem to fit inside the G nib. though not as close of a fit as the Waterman #2 nibs, and i can't fit it into any of my Waterman #2 sections.

id say the G nib is more of a #3 or #4, but i don't own any pens of those sizes.

Uhh, where's the writing sample!? Great looking pen.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Uhh, where's the writing sample!? Great looking pen.

I've not yet inked it, I just got back from Missouri, and I usually do shots of the pens first before I try writing. Here's a scan of the write sample that came with the pen (as he tests it before sending it out).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/desiderata_flex/write_original.jpg

Close shot of the Zebra-G nib:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/desiderata_flex/nib_top_960.jpg

interesting feed.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/desiderata_flex/nib_bottom_960.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

EBONITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I need to tone it down, my Konrad Rebellion Red Ripple and Noodler's Green/Black Ripple Ebonite pens might get jealous...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Course from my understanding of the rather lengthy user manual that came with the pen, the Zebra-G nib will likely need replacing sooner than a Noodler's nib, especially as it get scratchier the more it's used.

This is one of the few pens that would really tempt me. None available though :(

I really like the Zebra G as a dip pen. Don't find it scratchy at all, but then in my normal hand I seem to apply practically no pressure anyway. If adding flex then I tend to slow down quite a lot. 'Sides which, you get the cheapness of buying dip pens (a dollar per pen) with the convenience of a dedicated ink reservoir in a beautiful presentation case!

I Just hope Pierre gets his finger out and starts producing a few more.(You hear me Pierre? ;) )

EDIT: I was wondering how the feed would be done. Thanks for the pictures KB, now I know.

Edited by Cryptos

Ah. Thanks for the shots. Great pics. I look forward to a review. Vicarious thrills and all that, as I am on a pen fast at the moment.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Wow. I'm torn between the black one with a window, and the wooden one... really remarkable work, here! The only thing that might hold me back from the wood one is that I prefer a pen that posts, but even so, that's gorgeous.

Edited by trdsf

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

Ah. Thanks for the shots. Great pics. I look forward to a review. Vicarious thrills and all that, as I am on a pen fast at the moment.

And some quick scribbles with some Diamine Grey.

fpn_1407803316__write_dgray.jpg

Edited by KBeezie