Montegrappa Nib Unit Removal

Maccabee64

Hello All,

I am having problems thoroughly cleaning my Montegrappa extra 1930 and I want to remove the nib unit to clean it better. I saw a video of another model of pen having its nib unit screwed off. Does the extra 1930's unit come out the same way?

Thanks in advance!

O.A.M.D.G.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freakman

• Says

• como

• Maccabee64

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be screwed. But some of them are tight and screwing may break the collar. Pull the nib and the feed out is a better way to solve the problem. Unless you want to replace the sealant for the collar.

If the unit is threaded and designed to be unscrewed, why would you try and pull it out?

Wouldn't that break the nib/feed unit?

Or is the nib and feed inserted into a collar that is threaded?

Thanks.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

It's fitted in a collar,and screwd in. But unlike AURORA, the collar can sometimes be very tight. And I don't recommed screwing them.

All MG pens I have can be pulled. And all the large nib ones(Bock 8# nib?) have collars.

OK, thanks for clarifying!

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

So you would suggest straight pulling out the nib nd feed from the collar? Is it extremely difficult to get out or back in? I know Omas nibs and feeds are from experience.

O.A.M.D.G.

So you would suggest straight pulling out the nib nd feed from the collar? Is it extremely difficult to get out or back in? I know Omas nibs and feeds are from experience.

It's easy to pull. Extra 1930 is more like AURORAs. When push it back, remember to check the socket shape to align properly .

Montegrappa #8 are Jowo units.

Do you have any more information about outsource nib factories? I can't find much information about them. Where're the nibs from OMAS,Montegrappa,Stipula and Visconti made? Does Pelikan partially outsource its nibs?

Do you have any more information about outsource nib factories? I can't find much information about them. Where're the nibs from OMAS,Montegrappa,Stipula and Visconti made? Does Pelikan partially outsource its nibs?

There is a thread about this somewhere, but I believe OMAS, Stipula, and Visconti source their nibs from Bock. Pelikan may be making all their nibs in-house now. They used Bock for a short time before they took over production of their nibs again.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

AFAIK Pelican does all nibs in house except for the M1000. This one has a much more springy feel and is still from Bock. (unless this changed last year or so)

Visconti buys from Bock, but makes the new tubular Smartouch nibs in house.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 3 weeks later...

It's fitted in a collar,and screwd in. But unlike AURORA, the collar can sometimes be very tight. And I don't recommed screwing them.

All MG pens I have can be pulled. And all the large nib ones(Bock 8# nib?) have collars.

This includes the Miya? I hate to sound silly with this question, after all it is a MG?

This includes the Miya? I hate to sound silly with this question, after all it is a MG?

Yes. This includes Miya and Miya Argento. Using some soap water might help. Dry ebonite feeds can be very tight sometimes.

Hold firm using your hand on the front and back sides of the nib and ink feeder then pull in axcial direction.

If it doesn't move at all, try sink the unscrewed section in warm soap water.

Always attach the pen body when unplugging the nib(for better gripping) and detach it when cleaning. Celluloide can react with some solvents and softens in warm water.

And if you could not pull it out. Try it later. The fins on MG ebonite feed are much stronger comparing to other brands, but they're not unbreakable.

So, are the Miya nibs JoWo too? Or are they Bock?

I have no idea. But I'm wondering whether or not Montegrappa get all their nibs JoWo instead of Bock. Or if they buy from both.

• 4 years later...

Hi sorry to jump in... i might need to remove the nib section to grease my piston for my shiny lines dove... can someone show me a picture of how it looks like removed?

Hi sorry to jump in... i might need to remove the nib section to grease my piston for my shiny lines dove... can someone show me a picture of how it looks like removed?

I recently took out the nib unit (nib and feed) out of a Montegrappa Extra 1930 and got a look inside. It's a piston of "captive converter" style. You will be looking at a small black hole, similar to what you see on the opening of a converter at nib unit end. So I don't think you can grease the "piston" yourself.

Yeah, well I tried, and it didn't work....

Probably have to send back to vendor to get it working properly..

Thanks!

I managed to get the last piece from goulet, which means the section itself is celluloid instead of the metal section.

it looks great! so I don't want to temper too much with it.

Unfortunately, Goulet did not stamp my booklet... does this mean my pen is not under warranty, and I can't go to my local distributor?

Shipping the pen to US to get it serviced and sent back is ... well... expensive