Difference Between Sailor 1911 Standard And Promenade

chas0039

I have not been able to find the differences. The nibs are the same, all the dimensions look identical, the barrel, cap, and section look alike as does all the gold trim. The Promenade comes in 3 colors but the black looks identical to the 1911 Standard. The dealers in Japan refer to both models as "1911", and they clearly carry the Large, the Standard, and the Promenade as 3 different pens. They also differentiate the 21k nibs from the 14k. So clearly they think there is a difference and the price also indicates that.

Any ideas? Thanks

First image is Promenade, second is Standard.

To make it more interesting, they have another model, the Profit, which offers silver trim, but of course, they also have a Profit with gold trim, again, identical.

post-114573-0-72631400-1404619017_thumb.jpg

post-114573-0-44223400-1404619026_thumb.jpg

Edited by chas0039

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chas0039

• zchen

• Algester

• Olya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the 1911 is the flagship series pen of Sailor, origin is the founding year of Sailor 1911, it's the same with platinum 3776, origin height of Mt.Fuji in meters (it being the flagship pen of Platinum),

under the 1911 pens you have

Profit, Standard, Somiko, Sapporo, Progear, Professional Gear (Sigma included), Promenade, Realo

now to your question whats the difference between the 2 price otherwise standard costs 2K yen more

the length simply put Promenade is a smaller version of the standard by a few mm, Promenade being a 10K yen pen will look no different to the 3776 Century since I think that's what they are competing for

http://sailorshop.jp/pic-labo/11-1031_top.jpg

plus you got the image wrong the Promenade has the sailor anchor logo on the clip and is very toned down in design

Edited by Algester

Thanks, I was using images from the auction web site so I am not surprised that they don't match and I can see he mixed up two different pens when you pointed out the clip. As they are both 1911 pens and the nib is what I am after, I am happy to save the $12 or so. In my case, smaller is fine.

Thanks again

Please post this in the subforum for Japanese pens. Sailor is a Japanese pen company.

Please post this in the subforum for Japanese pens. Sailor is a Japanese pen company.

I see that now.

Actually when closed or posted the Promenade is a few mm longer than 1911/Profit Standard. Uncapped it is shorter.

Nib is the same. The ends of the promenade is not as pointy as the 1911/Profit Standard.

The the promenade series all have a glittery appearance... so the black is sparkly black.

I certainly hope not. None of the illustrations show that and the name in the literature is different as well. The red and blue are "shining" where the black is not.

Edited by chas0039

the red and blue are "shiny" to counter the demonstrator like look of Platinum's 3776 century pens the burgougne red and the charteus blue to be exact I'm not sure if Custom 74 has the same appeal... anyway each to their own... else the blacks are very toned down

the red and blue are "shiny" to counter the demonstrator like look of Platinum's 3776 century pens the burgougne red and the charteus blue to be exact I'm not sure if Custom 74 has the same appeal... anyway each to their own... else the blacks are very toned down

So is the Black Promenade a normal gloss black like the Standard or did I make a mistake and will I be stuck with a dull/sparkle finish?

Thanks

Promenade in Black is not labeld with the shining prefix on the Sailor japan shop site. In the descriptions I don't see that they mention black as having the same shiny particles as red and blue.

Promenade in Black is not labeld with the shining prefix on the Sailor japan shop site. In the descriptions I don't see that they mention black as having the same shiny particles as red and blue.

Thanks for the link. I also see the closeup of the Black pen with no particles. Nothing I have seen anywhere indicates the odd surface other than the above poster, so I will hope I am OK.

Thanks all.

For anyone interested, the Promenade in Black is gloss black, no unusual finish, is slightly shorter than the Standard, has a clip with an anchor and comes with a 14K nib.

This looks like the total of the differences. A vary satisfactory pen from Japan.

Is the Promenade nib the same size as the 1911 Profit (the regular size 1911, 1911M, 135mm closed) or the 1911 Large (140mm closed)?

(Related question - Is the Somiko nib the same size as the 1911 Profit? What about the Regulus? The ProColor?)

Can't say about the nib size, it is a 1911 14k nib. Also, as mentioned above, it is smaller than the regular at 133mm closed.

It looks like the Promenade has a similar "unadorned" clip, as my Standard size profit Mozaiques.

This may be another difference.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

It looks like the promenade has a similar "unadorned" clip, as my Standard size profit Mozaiques.

This may be another difference.

Observe the clips on the small Sailor Mozaiques

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 1 year later...

For the Promanade I find the length capped and posted, but not uncapped.

Does anyone know the length uncapped? I need to be able to write with the pen uncapped, I hate to post.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

fpn_1444728107__img_20151013_201339.jpg

fpn_1444728013__img_20151013_201408.jpg

From left to right: Platinum Century 3776, Sailor Promenade, Sailor 1911m

The length of the Promenade uncapped is ~11.5cm.