Line Variation And Nib Shape For The Left-Handed Underwriter

neuroinked

Hello,

I have recently taken up the fountain pen hobby as a side effect of deciding to improve my penmanship (which seems to be a common means of developing the affliction). I enjoy the line variation that a stub nib affords, but the thin and thick strokes are not in the conventional places for each letter, due to being left-handed. Given how I currently hold the pen and the orientation of the nib, a "\" stroke is the thinnest, while a "/" stroke is the thickest (making capital Xs look mirrored).

It seems that an oblique nib, or an arabic/architect nib might be a viable alternative to a standard stub/italic nib, but those are less easy to demo without buying a custom grind. My questions for the experts here are:

1) Am I correct in thinking that one of these different nib shapes would provide "proper" line variation for me (I'm closest to #1 on http://nibs.com/Left-hand%20writers.htm , though my wrist is more neutral, so the pen doesn't hit the page at 90 degrees) and If so, which?

2) If there is a different nib shape that would work, how viable is it to use as a daily writer? I write in a relatively small hand, and am working first on developing a cursive italic that I feel is fluid and legible at reasonable speed. I'm very impressed with how easy my Pendleton BLS and F-C medium Masuyama stub write, as a point of reference.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neuroinked

• Algester

• JonSzanto

• sidthecat

to me I started with your standard noodler's springy pen to make line variation now if you really want an oblique feel most speedball italic nibs if you notice are apparently shaped in an oblique manner I would suggest before buying a pen or nib I would invest small amount of money on a dip nib first... I mean it will be a bit thick but it will probably get the job done then simply worked your way through there plus you being an underwriter will have a more easier time to display line variation but I do not understand what you mean you write with a small hand... and then your working with somewhere a 1.5 or 2.0 mm nib

http://i.imgur.com/AxnQM2Fl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HYDubSPl.jpg

Edited by Algester

Thanks for the response, Algester. What I meant by "small hand" is that my normal handwriting is fairly small (nibs larger than Japanese Fine or European Extra Fine are often too thick based on the size of my writing). I mentioned it only because I don't need or particularly want super wide stubs (my 1.1 stub TWSBI 580 forces me to write larger than I otherwise naturally would). And my question is partially illustrated in your first sample image. The cross-hatching in blue has the downward oriented strokes (from top-left to bottom right, "\") much thinner than the upward strokes (bottom-left to top-right, "/"). For a right-hander, those would be swapped, I think. Look at a capital letter X in a serif font (e.g., Times New Roman). The downward stroke is thicker than the up-stroke.

It seems like, at least for how I hold my pen, a left-footed oblique nib, or an arabic nib would mimic the pattern of line variation that right-handed writers get with a conventional asymmetric nib. My question is really will either one or both of those alternatives create a more conventional line variation pattern, and if so, which is better for a daily writer (e.g., taking a page of notes in a seminar, rather than only for sitting down at a writing desk to pen an ornate letter).

Experimenting with a dip nib is a good suggestion as a cheap way to play, but I'm not sure if there are dip nibs cut in an architect nib configuration.

I know this might not contribute much, but I find left handed writing so interesting. My mother was forced as a child to write with her right hand although her being left handed. She is now ambidextrous and very gifted with both hands!

Thanks for the response, Algester. What I meant by "small hand" is that my normal handwriting is fairly small (nibs larger than Japanese Fine or European Extra Fine are often too thick based on the size of my writing). I mentioned it only because I don't need or particularly want super wide stubs (my 1.1 stub TWSBI 580 forces me to write larger than I otherwise naturally would). And my question is partially illustrated in your first sample image. The cross-hatching in blue has the downward oriented strokes (from top-left to bottom right, "\") much thinner than the upward strokes (bottom-left to top-right, "/"). For a right-hander, those would be swapped, I think. Look at a capital letter X in a serif font (e.g., Times New Roman). The downward stroke is thicker than the up-stroke.

It seems like, at least for how I hold my pen, a left-footed oblique nib, or an arabic nib would mimic the pattern of line variation that right-handed writers get with a conventional asymmetric nib. My question is really will either one or both of those alternatives create a more conventional line variation pattern, and if so, which is better for a daily writer (e.g., taking a page of notes in a seminar, rather than only for sitting down at a writing desk to pen an ornate letter).

Experimenting with a dip nib is a good suggestion as a cheap way to play, but I'm not sure if there are dip nibs cut in an architect nib configuration.

highly impractical EF stub... or perhaps an EEF in stub I'm not sure who is capable of doing microsopic grinds for an EEF and EF (asian size mind you offered by Platinum and Pilot)... nor do I think these ground up nibs will show like variation... else what your left is a needle point flex...

I am left-handed, and have been at the FP thing (in later years, after having written with them when younger) for about the past 5. I am also an underwriter.

I have many different nibs on many pens. Everything from nail EF nibs to total wet noodles, narrow to wide, stubs and CI nibs, including a number ground to my specs. I also have picked up a number of handwriting books and manuals, leaning a lot on cursive (not specifically calligraphy or Spencerian flourishes), and including at least two books for left handers. I've finally come to some conclusions:

• Find some form of writing that you can do with the hand you're dealt (so to speak) and maximize that in terms of quality and consistency.
  • Give up the idea that you will EVER be able to mimic other scripts as done by right handers - it can't be done. You are pushing a pen when they are pulling, there is no way to duplicate what they do except to write backwards from right to left, and no one will be able to read that.
  • Concentrate on the aspects of good penmanship that is equivalent no matter the handedness: consistent letter height, consistent and careful spacing, relaxed motions (especially important if you are 'pushing' a very narrow nib - you don't want to bear down or push hard into the paper on upstrokes, etc.
  • Relax and enjoy the 100% individual nature that is YOUR handwriting! No one else writes like you, and if you spend your time on the above bullet point and then let your own character influence the shape and stroke of the letters, you'll see that you have a unique style.

I hope this gives some insight. I really struggled for a long time, aiming to mimic in exactness what right handers were doing. It finally dawned on my that geometry and physics would always play against that, and I should just ease up and enjoy the ride. I hope you do, too.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hi I am a lefty and have found the architect's nib to be my favorite nib. Mine was made by John Mottishaw and besides being super smooth, the line variation is pretty cool.

Thank you for all of the suggestions and personal insights. I definitely have plenty to work on with regard to fundamentals and developing an individual style that I am pleased with. I think I'll give an architect nib a try too, one of these days. Custom Sailor nibs also sound like fun, but I'm going to have to work on skill before I can begin to appreciate one of those ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Jon Szanto. I am a leftie that was forced to write right handed until the teachers gave up and let me write left handed. I have been re-infected by the fountain pen bug for a couple of years now and the more I read, the more pens with different nibs I procured the more confused I became. I haven't tried an architectural nib and will probably do so, but I am slowly realizing that I should develop my own hand, based on good pen practices such as Jon mentioned. Enjoy the ride, half the fun is getting there. :lticaptd:

I would also like to note a very modest cost book titled "Left-Handed Calligraphy" by Vance Studley. It is available from Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com), and there is a short review of the book by one of their (fabulous) employees, Jonella. I found quite a few helpful tips and techniques in the book, and you can order it from their site.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 5 months later...

The Naginata Togi is a beautiful pen, but it's hard to control. Let me respectfully suggest you work with more conventional nibs first. I've had good luck pulling calligraphic letters from a Pilot Prera, medium point. Not an expensive pen, but a nice nib.