Question About Kaweco Sport Cartridge Use

civil

Hello, I am seriously thinking of adding a Kaweco Sport xf to my stash of pens, and I had a concern about the fact that you can only use a cartridge with it (the little bladder they sell seems no improvement to me). I have recently discovered the joys of using a converter in my various pens (piston/slider, not the bladder type), and found that the usual problems of skipping, ink drying out, or the ink coming out too fast at times, and otherwise inconsistent performance when half full or less, are greatly reduced, seem to be mostly a thing of the past.

My question is whether the Kaweco Sport suffers from the same cartridge issues as other brands, as described above, I do realize there is some variation in how bad it can get from pen to pen. Even the bladders on my Hero 329 and Pilot 78g don't seem to hold a candle to what happens when you can push the extra air out of the pen with a converter (if I could, I would replace the bladder on my Hero 329 pens with a converter, in all 4 of them!).

Hopefully my question is not as clear as mud. :unsure: Any and all personal opinions and observations appreciated. B)

Edited by civil

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• civil

• xwingrox

• whych

• HandLikeAFist

I've put cartridges in my Kaweco and picked it up a few months later with absolutely no dry out, hard starting, or skipping when I tried writing.

I've put cartridges in my Kaweco and picked it up a few months later with absolutely no dry out, hard starting, or skipping when I tried writing.

Thanks for your comment. When you picked it up months later, was the cartridge half full or less? That's when I have noticed most of the problems I mentioned. A pen with a completely full cartridge that lays unused seems to have fewer problems in my experience.

Edited by civil

My Kaweco Sport has travelled by mail from UK to Canada airmail and then back via sea/surface mail with the same used cartridge without leaks.

Kaweco Sports are magic - you can shake, drop or otherwise abuse them and there will be no leaks as long as the cap is screwed on.

Also, no dry out or any other problems with ink flow, even when the cartridge is low.

You can also use a syringe to fill the cart from a botle when it runs low.

Edited by whych

Thanks for your comment. When you picked it up months later, was the cartridge half full or less? That's when I have noticed most of the problems I mentioned. A pen with a completely full cartridge that lays unused seems to have fewer problems in my experience.

In my case, it doesn't matter if it's full, half full, or less than half full. Then again, I don't really check the ink levels until the pen runs completely dry. Sorry if that doesn't really help you :/

FYI, I don't put inks that need special care (pigmented, IG, etc) in my Sports because I know I don't use them very often. I could imagine having problems if, say, I left a cartridge of R&K Salix or Sailor Nano Black for an extended period of time.

Also, no dry out or any other problems with ink flow, even when the cartridge is low.

That's good to know, thanks! :thumbup:

Edited by civil

FYI, I don't put inks that need special care (pigmented, IG, etc) in my Sports because I know I don't use them very often. I could imagine having problems if, say, I left a cartridge of R&K Salix or Sailor Nano Black for an extended period of time.

Good point, unfortunately I am not well versed on the issue of inks, the only ink I own which I am fairly confident requires no special handling is Lamy blue. My most frequently used ink, Noodler's bulletproof black, has given me plenty of grief at times, so I know it requires special handling, that's what I get for my insistence on saturated inks, and also the bulletproof part. :wallbash:

Platinum ink is pigmented, but has shown me no signs at all of needing special handling, even after months of neglect (bought too many preppies all at once, tried to keep them all on rotation at the same time :wub: :happyberet: ), so I had been considering buying a bunch of platinum ink just to keep around, based strictly on my positive experience with it, well behaved on platinum preppy pens at least.

Other inks I own which are under suspicion for misbehavior are Noodler's blue, and Parker Super Quink black, the issue usually being what happens when I don't use the pens in a while. :blush:

I have a Kaweco Sport as my EDC. I write and edit with a pen on paper, so I use LOTS of ink. The pen is always responsive; if I miss a few days writing or use another pen, my fav is always ready to go.

I don't bother with a converter. I use only one ink, J. Herbin Violette Pensee. I have maybe ten full cartridges, for when I leave the house: I bring a couple with me. Otherwise, I fill the empty carts from a 100 mll bottle, ink and syringe from Goulet Pens (no affil.) It takes a few seconds, less time than fiddling with the converter.

I completely avoid the cartridge/converter issue by using my Kaweco Ice Sport as an eyedropper-filler. A dab of silicone grease on the threads is all it takes. It holds several cartridges-worth of ink and hasn't leaked or burped on me yet. And I don't baby it...it usually travels in my jeans pocket with keys, coins, etc.

Larry

:happyberet: Hmm, two strong votes for using the Kaweco as an eyedropper, I have seen a number of other such opinions elsewhere, I just wish the number of opinions against doing that was zero, at least if the number of reported leaks was zero, that would be good. The number I have seen is very, very low, but it is not zero. :ninja:

I am planning on ordering this week, still haven't decided what else to add to the order, particularly a substitute for Noodlers bulletproof black, which is not an entirely innocent ink. :puddle:

Thanks for all the opinions. :thumbup:

Pelikan black is easy to clean out of pens and is pretty waterproof. Shouldn't be too expemsive.

• 2 weeks later...

Pelikan black is easy to clean out of pens and is pretty waterproof. Shouldn't be too expemsive.

After looking it up, it seems that ink is quite good, except that it seems to be rather slow in drying, which is why Noodlers black is more popular (per the reviews).

I can just repeat what other people have already said. I have never had any problems with my Kaweco and when using cartridges with it. Go for it, I say! :)

I have a Sports with Pelikan blueblack cartridge for EDC in my winter-coat and last year I forgot to take it out, It sat there quietly for almost 9 months and wrote immediately when I found it again. They don't advertise it as such but the screwed cap prevents drying out when its closed firmly enough. When you push the cap on, or off, you even feel some resistance from the air displacement.