Difference Between The Sailor Profit And The Sailor 1911?

jstadler75

is ther a difference between the Sailor profit and the sailor 1911 besides price? Is the Profit of lesser quality? I'm trying to decide between the two. Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• amax

• pp763

• zchen

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest difference is pen size. The profit = 1911 medium/standard, vs the 1911 large, if I understand correctly. It is smaller than the full size 1911, and has a 14K nib instead of a 21K nib.

<snip>... It is smaller than the full size 1911, and has a 14K nib instead of a 21K nib.

This is correct for the U.S. market. However, the 1911 medium/standard size is available with either 14K or 21K nib -- Taizo (engeika.com) labels the 21K Profit as "Special Edition for Japan's Market".

If we go by Sailor Japan's (sailor.co.jp) terminology there isn't a 1911 at all

There is Profit line with consist of torpedo / cigar shape pens and the Pro-gear line which are the pens with flat ends

In the Profit line

Profit 21 refers to the larger pens (141mm long) with 21k nibs

Profit Standard are the smaller pens (135mm long) with 14k nibs

Profit Standard 21 are the smaller pens (135mm long) with 21knibs

If we go by Sailor's terminology for overseas

there is 1911 Mid Size (per nibs.com) or 1911 Standard (per sailorpen.com), that correspond to the Profit Standard.

and 1911 Full Size (per nibs.com) or just 1911 (per sailorpen.com) which correspond to Profit 21.

Just out of interest, what are the differences between the Profit21/1911 Large nib and writing experience compared with the King Of Pen equivalent nib size?

Has anyone compared say a 1911 Large (M) with the KOP (M)?

• 1 year later...

Bump to an old thread for I'm having some thoughts/issues with this as well even though the old post below seems reasonable. The main issue being that there are item numbers that differ between the "Large" and the "Profit."

Both get the "11-2021" for the most part. However, there is often an additional 4 digit number.

I have seen 11-2021-620, 11-2021-2020, 11-3048-420.

Maybe it could be as simple as domestic market gets one item number and the overseas another.

Any thoughts from Sailor aficionados?

If we go by Sailor Japan's (sailor.co.jp) terminology there isn't a 1911 at all

There is Profit line with consist of torpedo / cigar shape pens and the Pro-gear line which are the pens with flat ends

In the Profit line

If we go by Sailor's terminology for overseas

there is 1911 Mid Size (per nibs.com) or 1911 Standard (per sailorpen.com), that correspond to the Profit Standard.

and 1911 Full Size (per nibs.com) or just 1911 (per sailorpen.com) which correspond to Profit 21.

Bump to an old thread for I'm having some thoughts/issues with this as well even though the old post below seems reasonable. The main issue being that there are item numbers that differ between the "Large" and the "Profit."

Both get the "11-2021" for the most part. However, there is often an additional 4 digit number.

I have seen 11-2021-620, 11-2021-2020, 11-3048-420.

Maybe it could be as simple as domestic market gets one item number and the overseas another.

Any thoughts from Sailor aficionados?

11-2021 indicates Profit 21 Black with Gold Trim model, the 3 digits after the model number correspond to nib width, I haven't seen any with 4 digits in that spot

極細 11-2021-120 Extra Fine

細字 11-2021-220 Fine

中細 11-2021-320 Medium Fine

中字 11-2021-420 Medium

太字 11-2021-620 Broad

ズーム 11-2021-720 Zoom

11-3048-420 indicate Profit Black Luster with Medium nib.

Terrific!

So the "Profit" is the "Large" just that sometimes the Profit is omitted.

Thanks for your info.

Cheers.

Lets not forget about king profit. As per the paperwork that came with my king of pen

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

Lets not forget about king profit. As per the paperwork that came with my king of pen

It is funny, when you consider the possible confusion, why any company would choose to muddy their own waters with more than one name.

I agree. The problem is that the employees of a company may not be as passionate about pens as us

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

Just out of interest, what are the differences between the Profit21/1911 Large nib and writing experience compared with the King Of Pen equivalent nib size?

Has anyone compared say a 1911 Large (M) with the KOP (M)?

The biggest difference is the king of pen has a much softer nib, due to its greater size. I do find that a larger nib can impact my writing angle, since it does require more distance from the paper.

• 2 months later...

I also bumped into this older thread because I am trying to understand the Sailor coding

it's really hard when searching for one of these from the Japanese sellers as not always they mention the code or give the full descriptions

Maybe someone has already decoded the Sailor full codes elsewhere, but could not find it...

What I discovered so far with reasonable certainty is that

the last 3 digits of the code are the nib type

so as zchen mentioned above

-120 Extra Fine
-220 Fine
-320 Medium Fine
-420 Medium
-620 Broad
-720 Zoom

I also add that

-920 is the 21k music nib

the 11 at the beginning of the code most probably stands for 1911

also very important is the definition of the different pens (again mentioned by zchen) but gives no reference to the coding

The middle part of the code is the pen itself and this coding also defines whether the pen is GT (gold tone) or Silver (rhodium plated)

whether it is black or coloured is the tricky part as the coloured pens seem to have an additional code

A few examples I encountered
11 2024 620 is a Profit 21 LARGE black with silver trim with 21k nib B size

11 2021 620 is a Profit 21 LARGE black GT (gold tone) with 21k nib B size

(so these two are the same pen but with silver or gold trim)

11 1219 420 is a Profit standard (small) black GT (gold tone) with 14k nib M size

11 1521 120 is a Profit standard 21 (small) black GT (gold tone) with 21k nib EF size

11 2521 620 is a Profit 21 LARGE black with silver trim with 21k nib B size naginata tobi

(2521 and 2524 should be the naginata tobi pens in black and maroon)

11 2524 432 is a Profit standard 21 (small) maroon (reddish) GT (gold tone) with 21k nib M naginata tobi
(here the nib coding has a sudden incoherence... or I am not understanding the coding?)

11 3924 220 is a Realo (so piston filler with ink window) the size is similar to the Profit 21 (large) black gold tone with 21k nib nib F size

(the realo black and maroon seem to have the same coding 3924)

11 3027 420 is a Profit 21 LARGE black with silver trim with 21k nib M size naginata emperor

some further info on the sailor site sailorpen.com, but it's not the full coding

ahahaha! :lol:

you must be right...!

item coding is a serious matter however, when you first develop the coding rules you think you can handle all variants, its when you introduce new variants that you had not planned that its starts getting complex...

at least I now know the pen I am looking for is code no.

11 2024 620

the LARGE black with silver trim with 21k and nib B size...

• 8 months later...

This is excellent information as I'm looking to buying my first Sailor pen. What about the 1911 with 14k nibs with plating on them? Or do they all have plating over 14k?

• 2 weeks later...

not sure I understand the question,

what do you mean with plating?

if you mean 14k but silver trim (including also the nib)

unfortunately I have not been able to exactly reconstruct the code

by analogy

if
11-2024-620 is a Profit 21 LARGE black with silver trim with 21k nib B size

and

11-2021-620 is a Profit 21 LARGE black GT (gold tone) with 21k nib B size

(so these two are the same pen but with silver or gold trim)

the difference between these two are the 5th and 6th digit in the code, 24 for silver trim, 21 for gold trim

but

if

11 1219 420 is a Profit standard (small) black GT (gold tone) with 14k nib M size

then as you can see the 5th and 6th digit in the code are different than above, so the code (defining gold or silver trim) is not unique for all pens

the only thing I can guess is that a Profit standard black with silver trim and 14k (for example M size nib) might have a code

11-12XX-420 where the two XX are a number close to 19...

I would have guessed 1222, but I checked the bay

1222 is the Professional Gear slim silver trim

1221 is the Professional Gear slim gold trim

1223 is the 1911 Standard Clear Transparent GT 14K

who knows, are you sure there is a 1191 standard 14k silver trim?

I think if you want a silver trim you need to stick to the 2024 larger size with 21k nib.

In my opinion this is a better pen, a more comfortable size and the 21k nibs are fantastic.

in any case, have a search on the bay with 11-12XX and change the XX at your leisure ... :D

I have to guess the Pilot code is less clever and more random than I thought

• 7 months later...

I'm looking to get the Sailor Profit with a zoom nib.

There are two online - cheaper one is the profit standard 14 the smaller one with the 14k zoom nib.

Second one is profit standard 21 - smaller pen with the 21 k zoom nib

Three questions:

1.Is the 21 k zoom nib the same one that would be found on the larger (non standard) pen ? Is the 21k nib larger than the 14 k one.

2. Is there any difference writing with these two. Is it worth getting the more expensive pen just for the 21k designation ?

3. A number of people have compared their writing to a broad or double broad nib. Are they talking Broad Japanese (more like a medium european ? ). Related to that, a lot of reviews are with the 21k nib and possibly on the larger pen (larger nib as well is my understanding). So does that mean it would write thicker (more like a BB) than the 14k zoom (more like a european M - B) ?

Thanks. (to reiterate someone elses coment: Nothing like keeping it simple. lol)