Comparing Different Turquoise Inks

Mineralogy

Hi all!

When I first tried out Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, I thought it was perfect in almost every single way except for one small thing - it would have been amazing if it was just slightly lighter. Then, I discovered Pilot Iroshizuku Ama-iro, which is a lot lighter and exhibits fantastic shading as well. However, on my journey to find the perfect turquoise ink I've noticed that there are many lookalikes, making my quest harder and harder. I've finally decided that I will order a bunch of samples and compare some of the most popular turquoise inks out there in one massive ink review, which will ultimately go up on my blog.

However, I am not sure how many people will be interested in something like this. I've read a number of reviews that compare four or five different inks, but what I am planning now is significantly larger. Here are the inks I am thinking of reviewing. Feel free to let me know if A. you would be interested in something like this, and B. if you are, what ink(s) you would like me to review or remove from the list. I am thinking of keeping the list limited to inks that are in an affordable price range (I'm looking at you, Caran d'Ache) and regularly available (i.e. not limited edition). Also, (please let me know if you disagree/agree with this or not but) I am thinking of focusing on inks that exhibit notable shading.

Inks:

Caran d’Ache Hypnotic Turquoise

Diamine Aqua Lagoon

Diamine Aqua Blue

Diamine Havasu Turquoise

Diamine Mediterranean Blue

Diamine Turquoise

J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche

Lamy Turquoise

Montblanc Turquoise

Noodler’s American Eel Turquoise

Noodler’s Navajo Turquoise

Organics Studio Copper

Omas Turquoise

Pelikan Turquoise

Pilot Iroshizuku Ama-iro

Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-jaku

Sheaffer Turquoise

Waterman Inspired Blue (previously South Sea Blue)

Edited by Mineralogy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mineralogy

• Joane

• amberleadavis

• Blue_Moon

Quite a project. It's always interesting to see ink comparisons and a very helpful reference when one is looking for a particular shade.

My favourite turquose right now is Montblanc Honoré de Balzac Dandy Turquoise. It's a LE, however, and will probably not always be available. But it's a true turquoise with brightness while at the same time easy on the eyes.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

Maybe the regular Montblanc Turquoise ink?

Or did you try the Edelstein Topaz? I ordered a bottle, it's on its way.

Edited by zepp

Careful when buying a bird.. you'll end up with a flock before you know it.

I would be happy to forward you a sample of Montblanc Balzac Dandy Turquoise to add to your comparison.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Quite a project. It's always interesting to see ink comparisons and a very helpful reference when one is looking for a particular shade.

My favourite turquose right now is Montblanc Honoré de Balzac Dandy Turquoise. It's a LE, however, and will probably not always be available. But it's a true turquoise with brightness while at the same time easy on the eyes.

Thanks Joane for the feedback and suggestions! I am trying to stay away from limited edition inks because it can be quite upsetting when they stop being produced... but I do agree, some of the best shades are L.E. :)

Go for it! Lots of people will have at least one and probably want to buy at least one. I'll at least read it!

I would be happy to forward you a sample of Montblanc Balzac Dandy Turquoise to add to your comparison.

That's very kind of you, alarickc! I suppose I'll let you know if it is requested.

Iroshizuku Ku-jaku

Parker Quink Turquoise

Thanks for mentioning the Ku-jaku! From the reviews of Parker Quink Turquoise that I have seen it does not seem like it exhibits much shading... correct me if I am wrong. Nevertheless, if people are interested I will review it as well.

Go for it! Lots of people will have at least one and probably want to buy at least one. I'll at least read it!

Great, thank you!

Maybe the regular Montblanc Turquoise ink?

Or did you try the Edelstein Topaz? I ordered a bottle, it's on its way.

Is the MB turquoise limited edition? All I get when searching is Honore de Balzac: Dandy Turquoise.

Edited by Mineralogy

I quite like Waterman Inspired Blue. I don't have a lot of inks and can't give you comparisons, but I find it to be very beautiful. Reliable start up.

I purchased it at my local fountain pen store. I was told Waterman inks are trouble free - safe inks with good flow.

Great topic. I'm looking forward to watching your list evolve and reading your reviews.

Thanks Joane for the feedback and suggestions! I am trying to stay away from limited edition inks because it can be quite upsetting when they stop being produced... but I do agree, some of the best shades are L.E. :)

I can understand the reluctance to review an ink no longer available and it's definitely up to the reviewer to set the parameters. The one advantage to including such inks is that sometimes people are looking for a replacement and if they can see the LE ink next to others that are currently available, it can help them to find a close match.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

I don't think MB has a regular turquoise ink right now, just the LE which is mostly sold out.

I'd appreciate if you add Visconti turquoise. I have 2 pens that are reserved for turquoise only so this would be of interest to me.

Thank you

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I think it would be very interesting. I like turquoise inks and have started slowly sampling them on my own, but it's going to take me awhile. :P

I didn't see Monteverde turquoise on your list - it is quite a pretty ink, although a bit lighter than some.

Please do this! I have a pen that I want to use exclusively with turquoise ink, and this project would be immensely helpful.

What about Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue and Noodler's Midway Blue?

Admittedly, they might be more sky blue than turquoise.

I love Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku and am glad you have it on your list. I would add Diamine Marine also.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I recently purchased a bottle of Monteverde Turquoise ink and realized that I actually could like it. Other than adding this particular ink to your list, I think that you have a great idea.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I look forward to seeing your review of all the inks. I found that a similar review on brown shades was very helpful in my selecting a sepia ink. While I have a favorite Turquoise, it would be great to see it compared to other inks of a similar shade.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

I love Turquoise! I feel you should add Noodler's Turquoise, the regular one. It is a bit darker than most but is really a great ink, shades beautifully. Lamy turquoise is another favorite of mine.

So you are going to buy samples and try all of these right? I"m looking forward to seeing it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY