Namiki Pilot Custom Heritage 92 & Twsbi Mini Classic Comparison

coffeetoofull

I am not going to try and fully review the Pilot Namiki Custom Heritage 92 (PCH), Smoke Black, Fine Nib fountain pen. It has been reviewed extensively by others, as well as, other fine YouTube presentations. I will make the following observations, as a new user of the PCH, which might serve to verify comments made by others. And, also, here’s another thought on the relevance of purchase by Stephen B.R.E. Brown on YouTube, “Are Expensive Pens Worth It?”.

• I purchased the PCH pen at a substantial discount from a trusted website provided by Taizo Okagaki in Japan. I received updates to my queries, before and after the order was placed, with tracking to my package, which was appreciated. The pen arrived on time in a silver gray box with gold embossed lettering to the back and side, which indicated the type of pen. The front of the box has the embossed Pilot insignia. The inside lid has white silk backing with a centered gold Pilot insignia. The lower inner box is made of an exterior hard black plastic with an inner styrofoam, silver felt, and silver silk ribbon holder. A Pilot ‘Type S Fountain Pen’ instruction book was included with the pen retail tag on the pen clip, and silver ‘F’ sticker on pen barrel denoting a Fine Nib.
  • The PCH and the TWSBI Mini Classic (TMC) both have #5 size nibs, which fit the profile and style of these pens. The PCH nib under my 10x loop is precision and beauty - See this Link on Pilot nib manufacture. The TMC offers several different sizes of pen nib assemblies, which are interchangeable. The fittings and appearance of both pens differ to style, and manufacturing techniques. They each possess quality products, but of a different nature.
  • The PCH is extremely well balanced, even when posted, whereas, the TMC cap can make the pen feel top heavy, until one becomes accustomed to its use. The TMC is securely posted to the barrel by threads. I feel that this security is a positive factor in a busy world of perpetual motion. Visualize the flight attendant accidentally bumping your arm, and watching your pen cap fly down the aisle. For a man with medium size hands, the TMC needs to be posted. On the other hand, the PCH sits well in my hand, whether posted or not.
  • The retail price for the PCH is about four times that of the TMC. The PCH features a 14k nib and the TMC has a steel nib (See ‘In Praise Of Steel Nibs’). The TMC is easily disassembled and cleaned with tools and silicon provided with the pen. Both of these pens are piston fillers. The PCH mechanism seems to be of a slightly better quality than the TMC, although the TMC has a double flap piston.

Both pens represent a great value for the money, and neither will disappoint. I hope you enjoy the pics.
Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coffeetoofull

• tomgartin

• maverink

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for pch

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Each pen offers a different writing experience. I adjusted to the PCH gold nib, today, by using a fast dry wet ink, Pilot iroshizuku Take-Sumi Bamboo Charcoal Black on Moleskine paper. The Diamine Monaco Red gave a pronounced feathering effect, in my hot humid climate. There is some adjustment from a steel nib to a soft 14k gold nib. The PCH Fine nib does not require much pressure to receive a wonderful shaded ink flow. I, also, tested the PCH and Bamboo Charcoal Black ink on Midori paper. It's a perfect match.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

They're a bit closer in size than I thought they'd be. Looks like both are good pens, each with its own character.

I really enjoyed the video on Pilot's manufacturing.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

To me, the Pilot nib manufacturing video represents an idea for any small manufacturer in the USA to take up the baton and compete. If the American pen manufacturers continue to grow maybe this next step will become inevitable. Too many USA manufacturers rely on JOWO and BOCK with none of them designing to the standards in the Far East market - or contracting for Japanese nibs on American pens.

The barrel and grip area on the PCH are smaller dimensions than the TMC, but with the gold nib the writing speed is similar.

Edited by coffeetoofull