Odd Request...where To Get Decent Journals In South Africa

inn3rs3lf

So this is a bit odd being on an international forum, but as a South African, I am truly unaware as to where to purchase proper, decent quality journals or paper.

The best 'name-brand' I have found is moleskine, but the quality is a hit and miss with their work due to them sourcing from different places. Then if I had to import myself, I end up paying $60-$90 for a $18-$24 notebook. (quo vadis, Rhodia).

Are there any South Africans on the forum that would be able to assist me in trying to find anything that comes close to the Rhodia, Quo Vadis, etc? No stationary shops I can find stocks anything. Went as far as getting my friend in book distribution to call all her suppliers and her customers...nothing. No clairefontein, nudda. They have not even heard of the names.

Any help would be appreciated. Or any place overseas which offers free shipping to this side of the world would suffice. Customs+shipping comes to $40 o.O

Beware of no man more than yourself; we carry our worst enemies within us - Charles Spurgeon

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inn3rs3lf

• LeonW

• IvoryParker

• KarenDodo

Please excuse the odd capitalization in the subject line...not sure what I was doing.

Beware of no man more than yourself; we carry our worst enemies within us - Charles Spurgeon

Dunno about your end of the continent, but know some writers the the north of you swear by Red & Black. Try a search for that until a neighbor wanders in?

Gave that a try as well and nothing, absolutely nothing. It is pathetic!

I have literally but one brand, and that is moleskine. None of the others at all. Even a google search only brings up printer paper :(

I understand we are a bit behind in the cash flow department, and that the general public won't be buying $10 paper, but why sell $400 pens only to be used on copier paper or generic branded notebooks?

It's hilarious actually...

I have been in the Exclusive Books store in Cape Town, but I wasn't looking for paper at the time. Perhaps one of the one nearer to Johannesburg has something suitable?

in addition, have you checked the local Montblanc store; I don't know what, exactly, they carry, but it should be FP-friendly?

The only other place I can recall finding pens while in SA is a store in Cape Town called Canal Walk (http://www.canalwalk.co.za/shop.htm?shopMGID=33211). They don't have a web presence, but they do have an email contact. I haven't shopped there in a long time, and again I wasn't looking for paper at the time, but given the line of instruments they carry they are worth a shot.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Thank you for your suggestions Sharon in Indiana. ;)

Unfortunately I have been in contact with buyers from exclusive books, and they themselves have never even heard of the brands. Seems everyone in SA thinks Moleskine is the greatest brand of all time.

I tried contacting the MontBlanc store, but they seem to be closed on a weekend, so I will try again tomorrow for that. I think I have found a gap in the SA market for this, and have actually emailed the distributors in the States and the rest of the world to see what would entail bringing it in. Will see what the outcome there is...

Thank you for your suggestions!

well, inn3rs3lf- I am originally from India, though now call the USA home. Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Lechturm etc are brands that cant be had in India for love or money. My cousin who lives in north-eastern India could not find anything, and so, I got his request list, ordered the notebooks from GouletPens, and waited till they could be hand carried by another relative who was visiting the US. Or maybe, one of us on FPN could buy the journals for you, and then mail them to you and designate it as a "gift" on the Customs form. Maybe then you will get the South African Customs to not charge you, and you just have to pay for the S&H.

When you find the source please let us fellow South Africans know.

I bought some paper and a notebook from Mont Blanc Boutique in Sandton - best I could get yet. My next stop would be Sandton Stationery & Print on the lower level to MB. Ask for Pablo, he is very knowledgeable. The advice on the forum for loose leaf paper is HP 32gram copier paper I belief?

Great to see fellow SA members, me also being a newbie.

So this is a bit odd being on an international forum, but as a South African, I am truly unaware as to where to purchase proper, decent quality journals or paper.

The best 'name-brand' I have found is moleskine, but the quality is a hit and miss with their work due to them sourcing from different places. Then if I had to import myself, I end up paying $60-$90 for a $18-$24 notebook. (quo vadis, Rhodia).

Are there any South Africans on the forum that would be able to assist me in trying to find anything that comes close to the Rhodia, Quo Vadis, etc? No stationary shops I can find stocks anything. Went as far as getting my friend in book distribution to call all her suppliers and her customers...nothing. No clairefontein, nudda. They have not even heard of the names.

Any help would be appreciated. Or any place overseas which offers free shipping to this side of the world would suffice. Customs+shipping comes to $40 o.O

I don't know anywhere that does free international shipping.

You could order from CultPens in the UK. Shipping on any international order is £10

They sell Leuchtturm 1917, a very good alternative to Moleskine, and Rhodia. They also do the TWSBI notebooks.

http://www.cultpens.com/c/q/explore/product-type/paper/notebooks

There's also Bureau Direct, who have an extensive range of note books and journals. International delivery is slightly more expensive but might be worth a look.

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk

Alternatively, if you have something specific in mind, say a Leuchtturm, Rhodia or Clairefontaine, let me know & I'll be glad to purchase and post to you. PM me

When you find the source please let us fellow South Africans know.

I bought some paper and a notebook from Mont Blanc Boutique in Sandton - best I could get yet. My next stop would be Sandton Stationery & Print on the lower level to MB. Ask for Pablo, he is very knowledgeable. The advice on the forum for loose leaf paper is HP 32gram copier paper I belief?

Great to see fellow SA members, me also being a newbie.

Must be 120g/sq meter after getting my ducks in a row.

Wow, okay first off let me once again thank all of you who have personally offered to buy and send for me, I am extremely grateful for the gestures! However, with our customs, I would still pay duties on the products. Rather pathetic, but then again as LeonW knows our government is always looking for ways in order to bleed their country dry.

I have come across a site called the thewritingdesk.co.uk who offers absolutely everything I want, and ship it at 13 pounds which to me is a bargain due to the amount of stuff I want. Obviously with customs I will take a knock, but not as bad as I thought. My 8 items save me $25 when ordered from them and not a US counterpart. So I am indeed happy.

LeonW, I have tried MontBlanc in Sandton but they have not gotten back to me since it's the weekend. (Odd that they are not open on a Sat?) So will have a look see what he says tomorrow. But I highly doubt it will be anything worth my while. I have heard back from a few of the companies, and none have suppliers or distributors in SA, so that means it will be up to me to try and source them internationally, which I have.

I am not too sure what you are talking about though LeonW when you say that the paper must be HP 32Gram copier paper? Copier paper would not be close to the Clairefonteins or the like. Perhaps you meant that is what we should try and get if the ones I listed are unavailable?

I actually bought a Moleskine today for the heck of it and was pleasantly surprised with the quality. Absolutely no feathering, quick drying, and fairly smooth. Build quality was also extremely good, unlike some of the stuff I have seen out there. So this will suffice until the shipment from TWD comes in. :)

Yes, the alternative paper suggested would be the HP Copier paper in 32 Pound weight = 120 gram/square meter, I read somewhere here on FPN. One ink sample was done on the backside of said paper on my enquiry. Or the regular paper

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/268793-some-reddish-brown-or-if-you-prefer-brownish-red-inks/

Edited by LeonW

Contacted all the companies known to man in South Africa, and not a single on of them stock anything besides Moleskine.

I have been in contact with Rhodia, Clairefontein, Quo Vadis and none of them have suppliers in South Africa, so I will never get via a store here.

I have asked about bringing them in for distribution, and the minimum order for Clairefontein is €3000 ex Vat. Which equates to about R45 000 which as a second hand car. :)

I have found means on bringing them in, but I still pay double due to shipping, but the VAT and duties are pretty low, which is a good thing. So it will be about $40 for a Rhodia webbie, and a Quo Vadis Habana.

Only thing the company can't bring in is ink, which is a bummer, because that adds to the total price having to bring in through a separate means. Will have to wait for that...

If any South Africans do read this, may I inform you that I have finally made contact with a supplier of Rhodia products.

They can be contacted at sales@jacana.co.za Its a small publishing firm in Orange Grove, but for some odd reason, they have a few Rhodia pads in their reception.

No Webbies as of yet besides the landscape journals. They will 'try' and get me the standard ones, and stock for the rest of the FP community.

Respect goes to Montblanc South Africa as well, the GM of the boutique at Sandton went through great lengths in order to find out suitable materials to write on. None that are up to standard with the Rhodia and the like, but a decent effort on his behalf. So thank you Christo Venter.

You can most certainly say that again...

I suggest that you try different copier papers, some in the 90 gr. range, are FP friendly.

It´s a pity I am not visiting RSA this year, as I could have brought you some paper. Well, maybe next year.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, sorry about the Johnny come lately post regarding your inquiry for decent journals. I am also in love with Rhodia Pads and any poor person that goes to France (where they are from) or the US has to bring me at least one, size 18 (A4ish) grid pad. I do pointed pen calligraphy and the ink just bleeds one all papers except the high bondage ones and Rhodia are the only ones that do a gridded pad that doesn't bleed.

But if you guys are not doing pointed pen (i.e. removable nib) calligraphy you would probably enjoy the pads that are available at Ording & Reda, there is one in Sandton City ground floor close to Woolies, not sure where else. Their paper is made for fountain pen writing, but I found that it bleeds with pointed pen unfortunately. So my hunt continues but I hope I helped you with yours.

Hey KarenDodo.

There is actually an online store now that stocks Rhodia.

www.writegear.co.za

They are basically the only place that stocks anything decent. But at R3600 for a lamy 2000...and that is the going price from their distro, we are in for some tough times.