Polishing Silver Pens

victorbravo

Silver pens like the Oppenheim and Gandhi (partly Silver) tarnish rather quickly. MB does have a polishing cloth that does an acceptable job of buffing the pen if it is slightly tarnished. Hoever, once it is a dark tarnish then only a silver polish like Silvo or 3M's Silver polish does a good job. Some say that the latter will eat up the Silver and therefore should not be used at all. Having a dull pen is not an option! Taking it in to MB for a service and polish each time is expensive and inconvenient. Any views, experiences or suggestions?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• victorbravo

• jar

• Chrissy

• OngL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just use a jewellers cloth on my silver pens including my MB Humboldt, but I try to use it on a fairly regular basis so that heavy tarnish does not build up. I did have a heavy tarnish on one pen that I had not used in a while as it was sat in a safe and I did not trust using a liquid polish on it, instead I just kept up with the jewellers cloth which was slow but effective.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I would never use anything other than the Mb cloth on a Mb silver pen, and I would be very careful using that

I agree. I only use the MB polishing cloth on my silver solitaire.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

You are correct, most silver polish works by actually "eating" away the top layer and revealing a gleaming un-touched layer of silver beneath. So I this is generally only used on solid silver where there is plenty to eat away if needed, not recommended for silver plating. Once you find a way to get the tarnish off, I would just try to periodically polish it to keep it from getting that bad again.

There are also jewelry boxes/bags/cloths that are made with a special cloth lining to help prevent tarnishing.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

The best way to keep silver looking good is to use it.

1 +

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

Thanks. "Eating" of the Silver by the polish is scary. I like the idea of a pouch to store. That should certainly help.

Edited by victorbravo

The best way to keep silver looking good is to use it.

1 +

I'm probably missing something, but how will that help? Tarnish is oxidation caused by exposure to air. Unless the pen is stored in a sealed, oxygen-less environment, it will tarnish whether you use it or not. :unsure:

Once you find a way to get the tarnish off, I would just try to periodically polish it to keep it from getting that bad again.

But wouldn't that be the same in the long term? You would be rubbing away the tarnish anyway, wouldn't you? The only difference is that instead of rubbing away a lot of tarnish at once, you would be doing it little by little over a longer period. :unsure:

Edited by Vlad Soare

I'm probably missing something, but how will that help? Tarnish is oxidation caused by exposure to air. Unless the pen is stored in a sealed, oxygen-less environment, it will tarnish whether you use it or not. :unsure:

But wouldn't that be the same in the long term? You would be rubbing away the tarnish anyway, wouldn't you? The only difference is that instead of rubbing away a lot of tarnish at once, you would be doing it little by little over a longer period. :unsure:

But by handling silver you constantly wear away the tarnish. Sterling silver flatware used daily almost never needs polishing.

My Website

Where the item is stored is an important factor in acceleration of the tarnish process. While silver will tarnish over time, exposure to sulphur causes rapid tarnishing. Sulphur is contained in rubber, some plastics, and is used in some forms of leather tanning. Carrying or storing a silver pen in a leather case for protection may actually be the source of the problem. Even using silver sleeves or cloths that act as a sulphur magnet may not be enough if the source is overwhelming. Try cleaning the pen and storing it in a location where there are no contaminants and you will likely resolve the issue.

Where the item is stored is an important factor in acceleration of the tarnish process. While silver will tarnish over time, exposure to sulphur causes rapid tarnishing. Sulphur is contained in rubber, some plastics, and is used in some forms of leather tanning. Carrying or storing a silver pen in a leather case for protection may actually be the source of the problem. Even using silver sleeves or cloths that act as a sulphur magnet may not be enough if the source is overwhelming. Try cleaning the pen and storing it in a location where there are no contaminants and you will likely resolve the issue.

When I first acquired my silver Solitaire FP it was badly tarnished,and that probably helped me get it for a good price at auction. I didn't use any cream or other polish, just a lot of gentle rubbing with a jeweller's cloth. I keep it in an old, very soft MB leather pouch,and I've never had to give it another clean. So I would agree with Chrissy, jar and Maxpens.

Made a dash to the MB boutique after work and found that MB has a special pouch for Silver pens. Got one and I hope it retains the polish during storage. Pictures being uploaded.

Just to add :

1. I usually ink only 2 pens at a time. One is my regular carry and the second is a special. Therefore, storage is an important subject since the pen may sit in a box (or now a pouch) for months. Hopefully, now the Silver will only need a light buff the next time it comes out.

2 The MB expert agrees that strong liquid polishes must never be used because they could ruin the other finishes and materials they come in contact with apart from 'eating' into the silver. These polishes also leave a residue in the grooves.

3. Today I learnt at the boutique that loving care with a polish cloth and sealed storage or the pouch seems the best long term solution.

Thanks for your input!

post-35621-0-86005000-1403903587_thumb.jpg

post-35621-0-38107100-1403903722_thumb.jpg

Made a dash to the MB boutique after work and found that MB has a special pouch for Silver pens. Got one and I hope it retains the polish during storage. Pictures being uploaded.

Just to add :

1. I usually ink only 2 pens at a time. One is my regular carry and the second is a special. Therefore, storage is an important subject since the pen may sit in a box (or now a pouch) for months. Hopefully, now the Silver will only need a light buff the next time it comes out.

2 The MB expert agrees that strong liquid polishes must never be used because they could ruin the other finishes and materials they come in contact with apart from 'eating' into the silver. These polishes also leave a residue in the grooves.

3. Today I learnt at the boutique that loving care with a polish cloth and sealed storage or the pouch seems the best long term solution.

Thanks for your input!

There you go!

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

I have several Sterling silver pens and pencils, and I have found that of all the polishing cloths that I have purchased, my Montblanc polishing cloth is the worst for removing tarnish; this was a big surprise to me.

My best two polishing cloths are one that came with one of my Sterling silver Duofold (way-to-go, Parker!!) pens and a polishing cloth designed for gold, silver, and platinum jewelry that I bought at Fire & Ice, a jewelry store. Second to these is a polishing cloth that I purchased from a high-end jewelry store. The third best polishing cloth is one that came with my Lamy 2000 Jubilee special edition ballpoint pen; the only thing that makes this one third best is its size -- very small compared to all the others but still a keeper.

I NEVER use any polishing solution or paste of any kind on my pens. Such solutions/pastes tend to be gloppy and leave residue. In addition, such solutions/pastes can damage pens with mixed finishes such as my Lamy 2000 Jubilee which is made of grenadill wood and silver.

Periodic polishing with a clean polishing cloth free of residue of any kind (always stored in a protective package or plastic bag is best. It is important to make sure that there are no ganuals or particles of any kind on the surface of the pen or the surface of the cloth as such particles, depending on what they are, could scratch the surface of the pen.

It is important as well to keep your hands clean when you are using silver writing instruments. Hand lotion leaves residue that causes tarnish -- hand lotion creates a mess on pens, in general.

Edited by elysee

Hi Victor

Do they sell it at retail or do you need to know the boutique guy for him to give you one?

If i may ask how much did that pouch cost ?

I would stay away from creams and solutions. As others have mentioned, you would do well to simply use it. Give it a wipe with the cloth once in a while as needed and you should be good to go. Wee it mine, I wouldn't get too persnickety about it, as silver will tarnish regardless of how much you baby it. ;)

Hi Victor

Do they sell it at retail or do you need to know the boutique guy for him to give you one?

If i may ask how much did that pouch cost ?

The boutique manager gifted me the pouch so I have no idea what it costs or even if it is for retail. It is rather good, though!

• 6 months later...

I wish i had read this earlier.

Gandhi LE is my first sterling silver pen, it has been quite tarnished when I got it. When I brought it to MB boutique, the manager had kindly restored it for me at no cost around an hour in her office. What makes me worry now is that she did say that some liquids were used to remove oxidation. She also said that it was a careful work as the liquid may affect the lacquer part on the barrel. I read that a special cloth should be used instead. On another thread, it was preferred to leave the oxidation.

Check out my pen polish. There was a thread somewhere where a member of FPN used it on a HEAVILY tarnished MB... ended up looking brand new.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush