What Are Some Almost Bullet-Proof Inks, At Least Waterproof Or Water Resistant?

Centurion

Hi, I have a ton of Noodler's bullet-proof inks, now I am looking for a ink, especially blue ink, that's at least water resistant. An ink I could address an envelope to be mailed by snail mail, and not worry if the envelope got rained on. And also not worry if the pen somehow leaked a little ink and got on my shirt. I could simply wash out the ink stain when doing my laundry.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Centurion

• raging.dragon

• wallylynn

• carlos.q

I'm sorry...I'm confused. What's wrong with using any of your bullet proof inks?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Noodler's V-Mail series (water resistant) has a section in the ink reviews.

I also don't understand the problem. You already have "a ton" of bulletproof inks, but no blue ones? Is that it?

For whatever it's worth, Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet is my favorite.

The new Private Reserve Invincible Blue seems to perform well, though it's not what I'd call exciting.

Platinum Pigmented Blue is a true blue (no turquoise / teal accents) that's pretty much waterproof / fade proof.

Platinum Blue Black is a true blue-black (no teal) that's iron gall based and has decent water resistance.

Pigment, if left to dry up in the pen, will be a solid mass difficult to dislodge other than mechanically after complete disasembly.

Iron gall is acid and might react with some innards of your pen.

Platinum documents quite well this on their website.

Now pick your poison. :P

I've bought inks with a lesser excuse/reason. Look! A pretty label! Gotta have.... :)

Bullet-proof is too strong, as I would like to put my FP in my shirt pocket and not worry about an ink drop staining my cotton shirt. The only time I need bullet-proofness is when I am writing a check. Otherwise, an ink that's water proof or water resistant so I can address an envelope is all I need, most of the time. I do find Noodler's sometimes clogs the pen, especially if I don't use a particular pen in a while, also ink creep on the nib is slightly annoying. Hence my search for alternatives to Noodler's. But mainly I worry that I will ruin a good shirt and I do like carrying it my shirt pocket during the day and not in a case.

Edited by Centurion

Graf von Faber Castell Cobalt Blue

Montblanc Permanent Blue

De Atramentis Document Blue

Edited by raging.dragon

Bullet-proof is too strong, as I would like to put my FP in my shirt pocket and worry about an ink drop staining my cotton shirt. The only time I need bullet-proofness is when I am writing a check. Otherwise, an ink that's water proof or water resistant so I can address and envelope is all I need most of the time. I do find Noodler's sometimes clogs the pen, especially if I don't use a particular pen in a while, also ink creep on the nib is slightly annoying. Hence my search for alternatives to Noodler's. But mainly I worry that I will ruin a good shirt and I do like carrying it my shirt pocket during the day and not in a case.

I solved this dilemma by using, in addition to my FP, a ballpoint pen loaded with a Fisher Space Pen refill. The Parker style refill will fit both the original "Bullet" Fisher pen (very pocketable) and a Parker Jotter or other classic shell. The blue refill has a very nice dark sapphire tint (no teal). It's also able to write well in extreme temperatures, airplanes, etc, without leaking or other accidents. The perfect complement to a FP.

Montblanc Permanent Blue

I believe these are "bulletproof" inks as they are also cellulose reactive like Noodler's. Since the OP wants a water resistant blue ink that will not permanently stain his clothes I would recommend Pilot/Namiki blue:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/241042-pilot-blue-bottle/

Edited by carlos.q

Montblanc Permanent Blue

I believe these are "bulletproof" inks as they are also cellulose reactive like Noodler's. Since the OP wants a water resistant blue ink I would recommend Pilot/Namiki blue:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/241042-pilot-blue-bottle/

The De Atramentis Document inks use nano-pigments. The MB Permanent inks are probably cellulose reactive, but this is unconfirmed. The GvFC inks are less water proof/resistant than many, so I'm guessing they use standard dyes.

Sailor --> Sei-Boku. Love the ink, just rather expensive.

Sailor --> Kiwa-Guro / Platinum Carbon Black --> for when it absolutely, positively has to stay on the page for all eternity.

If DeA's Document Black is also carbon based, I'd put it in the same camp as above.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Since everyone is suggesting inks that can't wash out, I'll go the other direction and suggest Waterman Florida Blue, or Lamy Blue. Plus a candle to wax the envelope with to protect it from the raindrops.

Bullet-proof is too strong, as I would like to put my FP in my shirt pocket and worry about an ink drop staining my cotton shirt.

Seems like the answer to this concern would be to not carry a leaky pen. I've carried a whole series of fountain pens in my vest pocket for years, usually filled with some kind of permanent ink, and my pocket has never gotten any stains from them. I just can't think of why this would happen, unless something was broken... or the cap worked loose, which I suppose could happen with some pens, but generally shouldn't.

As for ink... Many permanent inks will be hard to get out of white cotton. Not impossible, like a "bulletproof" ink, but hard enough. Bleach will work on some. I know bleach will work on Baystate Blue. I'm just not a fan of Baystate Blue for so many other reasons.

Piot Blue and Blue Black are the most water resistant Inks I have used, other than the bulletproofs.

Then there are the iron gall inks as well. I think the IG's are difficult to remove from clothing too, not sure about the Pilots in that regard.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Since everyone is suggesting inks that can't wash out, I'll go the other direction and suggest Waterman Florida Blue, or Lamy Blue. Plus a candle to wax the envelope with to protect it from the raindrops.

Ok, so these two inks definitely can wash out if I get some on my cotton shirts. A bit too fussy for me to rub a candle on an envelope so I guess I'll just have to switch to a different pen when addressing an envelope.

Seems like the answer to this concern would be to not carry a leaky pen. I've carried a whole series of fountain pens in my vest pocket for years, usually filled with some kind of permanent ink, and my pocket has never gotten any stains from them. I just can't think of why this would happen, unless something was broken... or the cap worked loose, which I suppose could happen with some pens, but generally shouldn't.

As for ink... Many permanent inks will be hard to get out of white cotton. Not impossible, like a "bulletproof" ink, but hard enough. Bleach will work on some. I know bleach will work on Baystate Blue. I'm just not a fan of Baystate Blue for so many other reasons.

Maybe I am worrying about a problem that doesn't occur all that often, and if it does happen then I lose out on a shirt.

[...]

Maybe I am worrying about a problem that doesn't occur all that often, and if it does happen then I lose out on a shirt.

It's only worth worrying about if you wear expensive shirts. :)

Sailor Jentle Blue is somewhat water resistant, not waterproof.

Montblanc Midnight Blue (new version) also is water resistant.

In both these inks, some ink will wash away from the paper, but it is still readable. Should be okay for envelopes.

I have stained clothes with bulletproof ink, and it is every bit as permanent as it sounds. It was not from a leaky pen in my pocket, but my own carelessness. Things like dropping an open pen in my lap, or having a bit of an accident while re-filling. I generally don't get ink on my clothes, but somehow, when the ink is bulletproof, it just happens....

I have several inks that are water resistant enough for my needs - with perhaps Pilot blue getting the most use.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2