Lamy Safari Review

PenFeed

Introducing the first PenFeed review!

Created by two brothers, the Pen Feed is a new blog dedicated to the world of fountain pens. We will be reviewing pens, inks, notebooks, and fountain pen accessories.

Check out our first review of the iconic Lamy Safari here:

http://penfeed.blogspot.com/

and follow us on twitter @PenFeed

We would also greatly appreciate any feedback so please feel free to comment!

All the best,

PenFeed

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Blue Knight

• PenFeed

• tjt7a

• KaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice initiative, always interesting to have an extra source of information.

Nice review too, good mix of text and vids, clear mixture of objective and subjective elements.

One small suggestion: you might consider shutting down the water tap/fountain/whatever the running water noise on the background...

Curious what your next pick will be!

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Thank you for reading our review and for the suggestion. The noise in the background is from the aquarium filter; we will find a better place to shoot video from next time.

Tom

It seems like you have done a good thorough job.

One thing to note is it might be an idea to explain and define your rating system as what does 75% mean over 60% give examples etc or other wise it's an arbitrary number which the reader doesn't have anything to compare it to. Some reviewers avoid rating systems because the fact is that unless they have tried many, many pens they can't really deduce what the difference between 1 on a scales is and 2 etc.

Thanks top pen,

We have discussed this problem and we will clarify our rating system in a future post. We understand that they are largely subjective, but I usually look for some sort of rating (be it in stars or colorful circles) as a quick reference when reading reviews.

Tom & Phillip

Also it maybe an idea to brighten things up with a greater use of colour as if I'm browsing the web and reading reviews strangely with a pen on a tree I'm oddly enough more likely to read on. I'm not saying go over bored but do deviate from Arial black where you can and the study / office based settings to take the photos in as it does entices readers to read on.

Here are a few examples of blogs that use colour very effectively

La Plume Etoile

http://www.sweetiestarr.com/laplumeetoile/wordpress/

Pens! Paper! Pencils

http://penpaperpencil.net/kaweco-dia-2-fountain-pen-review/

Also it maybe an idea to brighten things up with a greater use of colour as if I'm browsing the web and reading reviews strangely with a pen on a tree I'm oddly enough more likely to read on. I'm not saying go over bored but do deviate from Arial black where you can and the study / office based settings to take the photos in as it does entices readers to read on.

Here are a few examples of blogs that use colour very effectively

La Plume Etoile

http://www.sweetiestarr.com/laplumeetoile/wordpress/

Pens! Paper! Pencils

http://penpaperpencil.net/kaweco-dia-2-fountain-pen-review/

That is great advice and we will certainly take that in to consideration. I can already think of some great locations to add that bit of color.

We appreciate your suggestions and we will continue to enhance the way things look!

All the best,

Phil & Tom

That is great advice and we will certainly take that in to consideration. I can already think of some great locations to add that bit of color.

We appreciate your suggestions and we will continue to enhance the way things look!

All the best,

Phil & Tom

Glad to be of help.

We would also greatly appreciate any feedback so please feel free to comment!

All the best,

PenFeed

Looks good for a first review, will add your site to my bookmarks.

But I would change the rating system. Percentage isn't the optimal choice, in the end it's hard to explain why pen A got 72% and pen B 73%

A simple 1-10 scale should do the trick.

EDIT:

Just found an error in the review:

There is, however, a nice bit of feedback provided by the plastic ring that separates the section from the body. When the cap reaches the black ring it closes with an audible “click” and a fair bit of friction.

The cap does NOT click onto the plastic ring. You can easily remove it and leave the barrel unscrewed and the cap will still click nicely onto the section.

At the end of the section, just before the nib, there is a ridge, this clicks into an inner cap inside the cap and creates the airtight seal, preventing the nib from drying out.

Edited by Gaslight

What a strange world we live in, where people communicate by text more than ever before, yet the art of proper handwriting is seen as a thing from the past.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

Looks good for a first review, will add your site to my bookmarks.

But I would change the rating system. Percentage isn't the optimal choice, in the end it's hard to explain why pen A got 72% and pen B 73%

A simple 1-10 scale should do the trick.

EDIT:

Just found an error in the review:

The cap does NOT click onto the plastic ring. You can easily remove it and leave the barrel unscrewed and the cap will still click nicely onto the section.

At the end of the section, just before the nib, there is a ridge, this clicks into an inner cap inside the cap and creates the airtight seal, preventing the nib from drying out.

The rating system is certainly something that will need either a guideline or further adjusting.

We do want to have a rating system because it provides a quick reference for people who do not wish to read through the entire review and are simply wondering "is this a good pen," or "does this pen have a good nib, etc."

I have already adjusted the review to go by 5% points (everything besides the adjusted score which we will give a definition too very soon)

You are absolutely right (good catch). I have adjusted the review to illustrate this. Thank you for pointing that out to us, we will be more careful and thorough in our future reviews.

Please stay tuned to the PenFeed blog, we have many reviews to come and we will continue to enhance our blog, thanks to your helpful comments.

All the best,

Phil & Tom

Edited by PenFeed

Perhaps a grading scale at the beginning to clarify what each range means. 90-100 is outstanding 80-89 great ect. Overall well done and two viewpoints for each review is a nice way to set your blog apart. Keep up the good work