Bode505

Hello everyone,

I am Bode505 and I am from the state of New Mexico in the USA.

Currently I live in South Korea as an English teacher.

First fountain pens were cheesy calligraphy fountain pens, dip pens kind of got me into fountain pens. I already have a small collection going but I finally pulled the trigger on becoming an FPN member because I had been messing with my Konrad for a while trying to make it into a pen that could flex easily like a vintage pen. I am aware I said the magic word to get thrashed on this thread but I would like to present my findings before I am hiding under a rock for my words.

After many attempts the best I have gotten to work for me (without weird hard starts and 1 million railroads) is using a Hunt 56 (its not exactly flush but after heat setting the ebonite it sits in there well enough to do well I feel I should also mention I think when setting the ebonite feed that I may have also heated up the plastic barrel a bit with the near boiling water as it screws in to the cap with a little resistance now which it didn't have before) and my Noodler's Konrad I bought from the Goulet company a few months ago. I liked the pen but we all know when the feed isn't set well they can be frustrating so I destroyed a few nibs trying this but I will put up a picture of what I came up with. Bare in mind you can write pretty quick with this setup (sorry for my (bleep) handwriting is 2:00 am here in Korea). Anyway here is my picture without further nonsense.

Before you ask the paper in the sample is G. Lalo it was the nearest pad I had to me to write on tonight and that railroading happened as I was going pretty quick so I am overall pleased with the results anyway. I thought it was important to show that railroading does occur but it has to be under pretty big flexes and only during demo like that so far for me not under normal writing flexing on each down stroke of the pen.

Question is: What sub-forum should this go into?

2.What do you guys think about it? Honest feedback is appreciated

Hope you guys like and appreciate it,

-Bode505

post-114238-0-38656300-1403371571_thumb.jpg

post-114238-0-24784400-1403371594_thumb.jpg

post-114238-0-12171400-1403371609_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bode505

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bode505

• PAKMAN

• RMN

• disillusion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

The penmenship subforum might be a good place to critique your writing, or "First Stop" to discuss the mod. Again Welcome!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi and welcome to FPN.

You seem no stranger to FPs, I guess you'll have a lot to discuss.

Enjoy

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

That looks like it is working quite nicely. What is the width (approx.) of the widest line in your writing sample?

I have had some success with using a Gillott 303 in a Serwex 101 eyedropper pen. No railroading for x-heights up to 5mm, but sometimes after 7-8 lines it would stop writing altogether and I would have to dip it for it to start again.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

That looks like it is working quite nicely. What is the width (approx.) of the widest line in your writing sample?

I have had some success with using a Gillott 303 in a Serwex 101 eyedropper pen. No railroading for x-heights up to 5mm, but sometimes after 7-8 lines it would stop writing altogether and I would have to dip it for it to start again.

Thanks for the replies everyone

let me see the approximate, I only have a ruler at the moment so I am sorry for the lack of expert measurement but the ruler does have every .5 mm marked as well and It is just a hair over 2 mm this is as much flex as I have gotten out of it comfortably without feeling like I might spring the nib. I believe I could get a little more but the risk vs the reward is too high I think. Honestly, this is becoming one of my favorite pens to write this (aside from the scratchy fine nib) just because the variation is exactly like when I use the Hunt for my dip pen. I may go buy a few Hunt 99s to make it even more flexy. The feed keeps up with the pen at the speed that you can write with it and I have had no starting issues. It is definitely not a wet noodle, but it is close enough in the sense that I do need a softer hand to use this pen so I am wondering if I should upgrade to the Hunt 99. I will repost this in the penmanship subforum and see what people have to say about it. Interesting about your serwex 101, what feed were you using? Also what ink? I have noticed where I position my feed was critical on the Hunt as I had to make sure the feed was just past the breather hole on the nib. As I stated I heat set the feed but also I do have a strong feeling during that process my grip section became a little pliable and to be safe I did squeeze that around the nib and feed. Maybe I will make a video to showcase the pen at some point.

Welcome !

Inky finger are most appreciated. You are getting very good flex out of this pen. The "railroading" seems to come at the

widest limit of the flex. There is a limit to the flex of any nib. At the point that you exceed the nib's flex capabilities, the nib

pulls away from the feed, and the ink supply is interrupted. Try to ease off on the maximum pressure. You seem, otherwise,

to be getting good results.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome !

Inky finger are most appreciated. You are getting very good flex out of this pen. The "railroading" seems to come at the

widest limit of the flex. There is a limit to the flex of any nib. At the point that you exceed the nib's flex capabilities, the nib

pulls away from the feed, and the ink supply is interrupted. Try to ease off on the maximum pressure. You seem, otherwise,

to be getting good results.

Thank you we moved this thread here and I am posting an Ahab at the moment when I can figure out how to add the pictures to my media

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/268840-modded-noodlers-konrad/

Hi! Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

I'm really glad you've joined us.

Enjoy!

Kind regards,

VirtuThe3rd

Thank you it is good to be a "member" after lurking as long as I have

Welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

Thank you, I will try to contribute what I can learn

:W2FPN:

Hola amigo, de que parte de Espana eres? Mi familia estan en Torrejon afuera de Madrid y ahora mi hermano y madre estan alli de visita.

Welcome to FPN! :W2FPN:

I am glad that you joined us today!

Please feel free to ask us anything about fountain pens and inks.

Please enjoy the forum,

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene