Suitability Of Namiki Falcon As Edc/workhorse?

casualmerlinconstant

Love mine. I use it as a "normal" daily writer at work. If you refill carts, you can get over a ml of ink in there, so capacity isn't a problem. Even with a converter, I'd never run out of ink in one day's worth of writing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• casualmerlinconstant

• Scribblesoften

• discopig

• Obyekt

Well got mine today. Its really really comfortable. I was actually quite surprised at how well it fit my hand. And the nib is basically nail until I want to get a bit kinky with my writing. The ink capacity doesn't seem THAT bad. Overall I'm pretty happy :). I'd hoped it be noticeably softer than a m200 but you can't have everything I guess. Good edc though.

I am glad you like your new pen. My Falcons are quite a bit softer than the steel nibs in the modern M200. I am surprised that your's is that stiff. I hope that it loosens up a bit as you use it. What width nib did you get?

Thank you :). I hope it does too, that was really the reason I bought it in the first place. I do have a light touch ( I went through a period of writing with an accountant nib on rough paper; so had to adjust *cringe*) though, so maybe I'm just not going to cause a flexing effect during normal writing? I got the soft fine because I my handwriting can't handle anything nearing medium.

Maybe it'll loosen up eventually.

A light touch is a good thing to have. You may not see a lot of line width variation but the nib should be very smooth and a cushioned feeling compared to a modern steel Pelikan. I cannot see if your avatar photo is modern or vintage. I hope that after the advice that most of us gave regarding your purchase, it ends up being a pen you use frequently.

That's a modern m205. It will definitely get used :). If it loosens up after a while it will be completely perfect.

The Falcon won't do any good as an EDC when using the convertor: I've had to refill up to four times a day. If you use cartridges, OK, but then you have to fill your own if you want to use your own ink, and that can be messy.

The Falcon won't do any good as an EDC when using the convertor: I've had to refill up to four times a day. If you use cartridges, OK, but then you have to fill your own if you want to use your own ink, and that can be messy.

If you get the Metal Falcon, the CON-70 can hold about as much ink as the cartridges.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about using a Pilot/Namiki Falcon as a workhorse pen? I don't intend on flexing it much (I do like the sound of that soft feeling they advertise)

Everyone is different, but... For my own part, that's about the last pen in the world I'd choose for an EDC "workhorse".

For scribbling things on the go, sometimes hastily, on unpredictable paper and sometimes requiring a fast dry time, a firm (usually steel), smooth, EF or F nib is my choice. A really good one will write practically like a rollerball. For this purpose, that's a good thing!

Furthermore, I've had "soft" 18K gold nibs in the past, and I really didn't like the feeling of them. To me, soft equates with mushy, flabby, imprecise. It's not the same thing as vintage flex at all.

If you get the Metal Falcon, the CON-70 can hold about as much ink as the cartridges.

The metal falcon is pretty expensive, though.

Holy smokes! Are you transcribing "War and Peace"?

The converter holds plenty for me. I can go a week without refilling, and I use my pens daily. However, it's not like when I was in school writing pages of notes, so my needs are different.

As to the metal falcon suggestions by others, I will say that the resin one has a nice light feel. I understand that the metal one is heavier, and I'm not sure I'd like it as much. The CON-70 isn't worth the extra ~$100 to me either. That said, I've never held or used a metal one, so these are just my uninformed perceptions.

I love my resin falcon. I have it on me now.

I have the metal falcon with the soft medium nib. It is one of my best pens. The CON70 converter is the best in today's market, IMHO.

I have a fairly light writing pressure, and here the softness gives some nice flourishes on some of the sweeps.

No problem of control, unless perhaps if you really want to use it for flex-writing. But I have no experience with that.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Holy smokes! Are you transcribing "War and Peace"?

The converter holds plenty for me. I can go a week without refilling, and I use my pens daily. However, it's not like when I was in school writing pages of notes, so my needs are different.

As to the metal falcon suggestions by others, I will say that the resin one has a nice light feel. I understand that the metal one is heavier, and I'm not sure I'd like it as much. The CON-70 isn't worth the extra ~$100 to me either. That said, I've never held or used a metal one, so these are just my uninformed perceptions.

I love my resin falcon. I have it on me now.

I'm a uni student, I use this pen to take notes, not to scribble something down now and then :(. I can do about a day per refill when I'm only note taking, but during the exam period, when I'm studying 12 hours per day, I do write about 40 pages per day yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I use my metal Falcon with soft fine nib as an everyday writer, as well as for sketching. It's the pen I reach for every time. I use mine unposted and find the balance and size absolutely perfect. I have a fairly light grip, and medium size square hands. The pen works well on everything from eco-friendly printer paper to textured watercolour paper, albeit with more care needed on the latter. The nib is standard with no mods.

Well after some use, it does seem to have softened up a bit. I have to say it really is very comfortable to use. And the nib is soooo smooth and ?agile? if that makes sense.

I have a Metal Medium I am selling right now. I think the nib is really amazing. It's just that the softness of the nib broadens the line a bit and it's toooo broad for me, but although my nib was VERY soft, if didn't flex unless I made it. Otherwise, it writes really well.

I have to come down on the other side on this one. I had a very hard time getting my Falcon to be a consistent writer, it had lots of hard starts and skipped badly. I eventually sold mine.

I have to agree with this, I purchased a Namiki Falcon with SM (Soft Medium) nib and hated it ..... after reading all the reviews about Japanese pens I figured the nib would be amazing, not so.

There was no discernible flex to the nib, nothing like a vintage flex nib.

Ignore the word "soft", it felt like any other modern medium nib out there unless you really pressed hard.

Pilot/Namiki can be a bit inconsistent when it comes to nibs, I think the other Japanese brands might be more consistent (Sailor, Platinum etc)

Edited by dzg