J Herbin Rouge Hematite's New Formula Vs Old Formula

TheAkwardNinja

I recently ordered a sample of the J. Herbin Rouge Hematite. I have heard though that they did a reformulation due to clogging of the nib. I have the old formulation. How does it compare to the new one. Is there more gold sheen? Less?

Thanks!!!

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sinistral1

• amberleadavis

• Chrissy

• TheAkwardNinja

I have the new version (2 bottles) and after working my head off, I still see zero gold.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The newest version is version 3. Version 2 is known to have no gold(ish) pigment whatsoever. Version 3 is supposed to restore some semblance of the original's behavior but in a "safer" formulation for fountain pens. But have they succeeded?

I actually love the red ink in Rouge Hematite and regard the sheen to be more of a curiosity than a necessity for me to like it. The effect is actually too much on Tomoe River paper, IMHO, as the red can be almost completely obscured by the pigment and greenish sheen. However, for others the brownish-gold shading and green sheen are only things that would make them want the ink.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I just inked it up in an italic nib. It's a broader nib and the sheen is really subtle, but I haven't tried it in a finer nib. I enjoy the red color in the ink, but to pay about ten dollars more isn't really worth it.

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

I have a bottle of version 3 - and it's a sheen machine. I also have a sample of version 1, also a sheen machine. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two versions. I have never used version 2, so can't make a comparison of that one to the other two.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I have a bottle of version 3 - and it's a sheen machine. I also have a sample of version 1, also a sheen machine. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two versions. I have never used version 2, so can't make a comparison of that one to the other two.

I have version 2... :glare: .... I trade you !! :lol:

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Gads! Sheen is made from chameleon skin, butterfly wings and rainbow drops, for starters! Beyond that, it's an utter mystery.

Cyber6: Sorry, but I consider my bottle of Rouge Hemitite as an investment, sort of like a 401K fund, to be used or sold to support myself in my old age!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Cyber6: Sorry, but I consider my bottle of Rouge Hemitite as an investment, sort of like a 401K fund, to be used or sold to support myself in my old age!

LOL.... oh well.. I tried. :lol:

I guess the Goulet will get my business once again... :P

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I just read a post from someone who prefers the #2 formula...can't remember who it was, but it was on another Rouge Hemitite thread.

We should start a sheen making thread.

• 1 month later...

How do you guys know what version you own? Is the bottle marked somehow?

Have you got any idea where to buy version 3??

I have some of the original formulation. I was wondering if v.3 has very fine particles, much like what I saw over the weekend in a handwritten exemplar of the new 1670 ink that's supposed to be coming out next month. Don't recall what the name of it is to be, but it's a very dark grey with what looks like gold dust in it (think the gold dust in maki-e pens). A bit startling to have that warmth out of what I would normally have expected to have been a cooler toned ink. But very nice.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Supposedly you can't know which version you are buying. J Herbin does not mark the box or bottle and even looking at the ink in the bottle doesn't work. You have no way of knowing how long the bottle you buy has been sitting on the shelf.

Supposedly you can't know which version you are buying. J Herbin does not mark the box or bottle and even looking at the ink in the bottle doesn't work. You have no way of knowing how long the bottle you buy has been sitting on the shelf.

yeah, tis is exactly what I was afraid of :(

IF you really really want sheen, you should beg for samples of the Susemai Red and Green Cashmere. Bung Box Tears of a Clown is also a real sheener and more water resistant than 1670.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_933w.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_933.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Okay, this is WEIRD. After talking to Amber about the differences between our RH in this thread, I decided to open up my bottle and compare it to the sample I've been using.

Here's what the sample was looking like:

14913670695_628b6b8b59_c.jpgDSC_0001 by tinylilsnail, on Flickr

Bottom of the bottle :wub:

14727037068_1444d16a2d_c.jpgDSC_0006 by tinylilsnail, on Flickr

Both the bottle and the sample were purchased from the Goulets within the past month. Sorry I don't have a macro lens or anything.

Here's the MAIN SHOCKER:

14727012908_38f307d6f1_c.jpgDSC_0010 by tinylilsnail, on Flickr

14890698816_f230e93661_c.jpgDSC_0013 by tinylilsnail, on Flickr

The sample of RH is somehow way lighter and more orange than what I took from the bottle. This is bizarre! I have no explanation. Both do seem to have a lot of gold sheen. I shook the bottle of RH before using it and I transferred the ink to a vial before filling. I did use different pens for each writing sample (sample RH is in my Preppy, bottle RH is in a Hero 269) but the difference wouldn't be this extreme because of that.

Hey Lefty,

If you want to compare all three, I'd be glad to send you a squirt of the Version 2. Just let me know and I'll mail a few milliliters.

I'm a gal who simply can't refuse the offer of an ink sample! I'll send you a PM with my address.

Tinysnail - I've seen inks from the same source look VERY different with different pens. If you want to see it, try two or three different pens with the sample and the same thing with the bottle. Or, you could just throw caution to the wind and add the sample to the bottle, shake well and call it a day.

Tinysnail - I've seen inks from the same source look VERY different with different pens. If you want to see it, try two or three different pens with the sample and the same thing with the bottle. Or, you could just throw caution to the wind and add the sample to the bottle, shake well and call it a day.

Interesting! I'll be sure to do another comparison soon. The Hero is a very wet pen; I hadn't used it until last night and it's actually got a nice flex to the nib with a feed that keeps up. I'll try again with a drier pen. And, that's also an option!