1.1 Mm For Daily Use?

CJ_ung

I use my 1.1 stubs for everyday writing all the time. I typically use college-ruled paper to give you a frame of reference for the sizing.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Colin8

• fasthall

• CelloGeek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amberleadavis, any reference point to the Goulet 1.1 nib? That's the only one I have. The Lamy looks like it may be a good candidate. I need to replace my matte black Safari anyways.

Sorry I did that years ago. I don't own a Goulet 1.1 -- maybe someday. I should put up the Italic from the Pelikan M200. I'll do that tomorrow.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hmm.... I think it helps more to see it in context of other pens.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_633d.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Amberleadavis, any reference point to the Goulet 1.1 nib? That's the only one I have. The Lamy looks like it may be a good candidate. I need to replace my matte black Safari anyways.

I have a Goulet 1.5 and an Esterbrook 2284 Stub I will put comparisons up for you later this evening. I would do it now, but my Ahab (the Goulet 1.5) JUST ran out of ink :(

The Goulet nib is great by the way, and the line variation it gives is unreal.tumblr_n7fc226isG1sb8e3xo1_500.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_664b-Stub.jpg

I use my Lamy 1.1 (both Vista and Joy, same nib in each) every day. I also use a true stub (the Lamy is closer to an italic, but smoother) in my Parker 51 that seems a little fatter than 1.1, and with cursive, or printing, it works beautifully. I also have a stub that may be a little larger than a 1.1 in a Sheaffer Snorkel and I use that one all the time for writing letters. (I've gone stub-crazy)

To give you an idea of size, though, if I use Rhodia grid paper, I write on every other line, and there's lots of room in between my lines of text. But if I try and write on every line, and this is pretty narrow, it does get crowded. But because it's Rhodia, I can print using my Lamy 1.1 and it's still readable. That's how crisp the Lamy nib is.

1.1 is totally usable for every day.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_664b-Stub.jpg

Nice colours and avatar change!!!!

Nice colours and avatar change!!!!

Oh, thank you, it was a present.

• 3 weeks later...

I love stubs and I use them every day for journaling. I write fast and too messy, and in all sizes. They still look lovely, regardless.

Here are the nibs, all next to eachother for comparison:

14445179797_3f4c27fff8_n.jpg

Green: Lamy 1.5 (Not for everyday writing.)

Black: Goulet 1.1 (absolutely enormous. I'd give it 1.3 at least. Smooth as butter, though, and very easy to write with. Writes a little on the large side.)

Red: Lamy Safari 1.1 (highly recommended. I love this pen, I want several more)

Orange: Pilot M Caligraphy (probably .8 Dry as bones and thus sharp and cuts the page. Don't love this one.)

Blue: Twsbi Mini 1.1 (looks just a touch smaller than the lamy 1.1. Best pen in my collection.)

I'm either carrying my lamy safari or my twsbi mini every day.

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

Lamy Vista 1.5 -- Jinhao x750 Ivory, Goulet #6 1.1

I also tend to have smaller handwriting. I love to use an italic nib. I feel the 1.1mm is too large for me. I have a Nemosine Fission with a .8mm nib that I like. I also use the Prera calligraphy nib which is a .9mm. I've tried the Nemosine .6mm and found it too fine for me, but you should test that size too to see which you prefer.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

Good for writing cards or signing, ghost plane will tell you it is among her fave nibs

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

can only agree with the 'sure you can' camp: since I've got my Lamy Al star with 1.1, I write with it all the time. Even fast note taking.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

I wrote as small as I could. That's rhodia dot pad paper, so you can compare the sizes.

14451066457_08f14236d0_o.jpg

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

Lamy Vista 1.5 -- Jinhao x750 Ivory, Goulet #6 1.1

The lamy 1.1 is definitely suitable for daily use. I use mine at work on occasion and never have any problems - that's whilst writing on rubbish paper half propped on whatever surface I can get!

Amber your Pendleton ground Twsbi looks like it is a fantastic writer, I am very jealous!

Even the regular 1.1 is GREAT.

I'd recommend the TWSBI, I have the TWSBI Classic and it's a great everyday writer:

post-110005-0-05186800-1405212330_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Kevin