Oliver Karma Eyedropper

WDP4BAAZ

Hello friends ,

My never ending journey continues in search of new Indian fpns..

While searching for some unused Indian brands , I came across 'OLIVER' pens from Chennai,India .

Those are easily available on website of 'ASA' pens. After seeing pictures of this pen , I couldn't resist myself from ordering one..Mr.Subramaniam who is a fellow FPN member immediately sent me one piece with swirl green colour. The service of ASA pens is simply amazing.

As a fan of transparent eyedroppers, Oliver Karma found me a sturdy pen.

The word 'Karma' means 'Duty' in Sanskrit.

It is a fusion of Sheaffer no-nonsence and the famous Wality 69TL pan.

Here are the details of Oliver Karma:

Cap : Flat top cap , injection molded, having gold plated cap ring. Clip is similar to Sheaffer NN pen.

Barrel : Solid acrylic, turned/drilled/bored on a lathe.Polished in a descent way.Barrel having close fitting with section.Threaded portion having 10 mm approximate length.All this resulting in no blobbing/blurping like other large eyedroppers.

Section:Nib and feed press fitted in section.Plastic quality is very good.Grip dia is similar to Sheaffer NN.

Nib and feed:Oliver make steel gold plated fine nib lays down nice wet lines. Ebonite feed having 30 mm in length,6 mm dia.works absolutely well in long writing sessions.Ink flow is consistent.I have checked and found ok at low ink levels also.

Feeling mechanism : Eyedropper filler easy to clean and maintain .

Workmanship and performance : The manufacturer have done a great job indeed.Demonstrator pen fans will definitely love this pen.

Writing example can be seen in attached picture. Lines are finer than Wality medium nib.

Conclusion: Fans of Indian eyedroppers must have this pen in their collection.....

Hope you all have enjoyed this review.

Comments are welcome..

Regards ,

"BAAZ"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WDP4BAAZ

• hari317

• mhguda

• a_m

Top Posters In This Topic

Baaz, thank you for rivhew.

I am curious, which is better quality, 71JT or Karma?

BTW owner of Oliver is a big Subhash Ghai fan. their next pen is Oiiver "Vidhaata" :) kidding.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks Hari bhai ,

Wality 71 JT is a large pen but Karma is a pocket size pen.

Built quality is one level ahead than Wality 71JT.

Regards ,

BAAZ

Haribhai ,

You must have one Karma ..

i don't have any Oliver that I have used, in fact. I have 2-3 Oliver EDs in full steel body which a Chennai based pen lover friend gifted me, which I have not started using yet.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi Baz. Thanks for the review. I have a oliver exam clear demonstrator fountain pen which Mr Subramaniam from Asapens gave me as a complimentary with other pen I found it smoothest of my all Indian pens including my Indian parkers.

Mi aankhi magawnar ahe te pens mazya mitranna dyayla

Baaz thanks for reviewing that one, it looks a lot like my Oliver Matrix but that barrel is not solid and drilled out. But section, nib and feed, and cap are the same as your pen. I have just finished a complete fill, and saw *no* blobbing at all. Impressive!

I do have a question though. The barrel of your pen looks cloudy; and I have seen this after I started using my Gama Jumbo demonstrator (also from Asapens - no affiliation, etc). I have been told that this is an effect of imperfect polishing inside the barrel, and I am trying to remedy it.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Nice review. I have added Asapens to my list of vendors to try in the future.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I do have a question though. The barrel of your pen looks cloudy; and I have seen this after I started using my Gama Jumbo demonstrator (also from Asapens - no affiliation, etc). I have been told that this is an effect of imperfect polishing inside the barrel, and I am trying to remedy it.

I have other demonstrator pens. The issue is not because of polishing but because of ink. You can search for several posts on FPN for other demonstrators with inks (particularly like Baystate Blue).

I have found the best ink for such pens is the washable royal blue or inks of similar genre.

Before i used demontrators i was quite fascinated that how these pens would look beautiful with ink color. But alas i found apart from the fact that the inks i used like pilot blue etc were simply not compatible, the test tubes "looked" black when filled with ink. In my opinion the designer barrels having swirls etc give better appearance.

You can easily see while the swirls look beautiful, but also easily imagine, the blue color that has stuck to the inside - what must have happened of the pen later on !

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Hi mhguda ,

I am also having one Gama acrylic demonstrator . But it is having lots of lathe feed marks and imperfect polishing.

But Karma is having smooth barrel like Wality/Airmail demonstrator pens.

Hi Hari ,

I am having no knowledge about Oliver brand..requesting your comments please.

Regards,

BAAZ

If barrel is bored on lathe, ink is trapped between feed marks resulting in whole barrel looks like ink color.

But if barrel is injection molded,there is no issue of ink trapping resulting in barrel looks clear (e.g.Airmail 70TS pen)

If barrel is bored on lathe, ink is trapped between feed marks resulting in whole barrel looks like ink color.

But if barrel is injection molded,there is no issue of ink trapping resulting in barrel looks clear (e.g.Airmail 70TS pen)

The Resin barrels can only be hand turned and cannot be injection moulded. Its the plastic ones (like the Doctor demonstrator FPs) that are injection moulded.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Correct Baaz, I agree.

Can any FPN member knowing about 'Oliver' brand ? Please let me know .. :)

Hi Hari bhai,

Attaching picture for size comparison : Wality 69TL, Oliver Karma and Wality71JT ..Hope it helps.

Regards ,

BAAZ

69TL and 71JT are oversize pens as compared to pocket size Oliver Karma..

Hi Hari bhai,

Attaching picture for size comparison : Wality 69TL, Oliver Karma and Wality71JT ..Hope it helps.

Regards ,

BAAZ

69TL and 71JT are oversize pens as compared to pocket size Oliver Karma..

Thanks Baaz, so there is around a 10mm difference in the total length. Also the Karma's clip point is 10mm below the Airmail's clip point, so in effect, the Karma pen will seem to be 20mm shorter when carried in a pocket.

BTW yesterday I saw a new Airmail model called 69LGM.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t543/hari_317/Wality200/IMG_0007.jpg

Edited by hari317