jcm499

In my quest to replace the dearly departed iron gall Montblanc Midnight Blue, I bought a bottle of Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars’ Ink. As a usual matter, I ran Midnight Blue from my daily writer, a ‘60s (resin) 149, and never had problems with clogging or staining. I’ve tested ESSRI with dip pens, I like what it can do, and I want it to be my new Midnight Blue. However, I’m a bit concerned about clogging and staining, taking into account the normal extra maintenance recommended when dealing with iron gall ink. I must confess, ESSRI’s low price and frowzy packaging do not inspire confidence. How about it -- does anybody have successes, failures, clogs, or stains to report as a result of using ESSRI in a Montblanc piston-filler?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• tmenyc

• jcm499

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The 'frowzy' packaging is a low-cost, no frills means to get the ink to you through the postal systems of the world intact. It seems to achieve that goal very well. Once the ink is in your warm welcoming grasp, just let any sediment settle out, then decant into several brimming glass bottles for storage in a cool dark place, plus one on deck for dispensing. The frowsy plastic bottle cum sabot may then be recycled / repurposed.

I've an MB149 that sees heavy use with MBBlBk & Midnight Blue without any issues and has done so for years, so ESSRI is well within my comfort zone.

When I started using ESSRI a while ago I was just a bit hesitant to pair it with my beloved MB149 until I used that ink in other pens - the MB149 is not a test bed. I did the same when I started to use R&K Salix, even though that is a 'lightweight' iron-gall ink.

I reckon if one has used other I-G inks previously without issue, then using ESSRI (and any of the other 'heavyweight' I-G inks) needs just a small step up in terms of vigilance and maintenance. Certainly nothing that's a deal breaker or requires a new suit of clothes.

As ever, when switching between different ink types, ensure the pen is cleansed before and after.

There are numerous nuances other Members have mentioned along the way, some of which can be found in Reviews of that ink (indexed in the Ink Review Forum). Member FloatingFountain recently started a Topic which includes my own suggestions, and links to other troves of experience & information. That is certainly not the only course that may be charted for a voyage bound for inky enjoyment, though it is a rather cautious one. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266828-diamine-registrars-ink-and-other-modern-iron-galls/?p=2995239

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

As always, thanks S1...

I also have a MB149, 1970 present to me, that has used MB black and/or MB2 (Montblanc Midnight Blue) for many years. I am using the MB2 a little more sparingly now to stretch it out (I don't have a spare bottle.) However, the MB has also worked beautifully with Diamine Registrars and with vintage Waterman blue-black, which was IG. I would say the Waterman worked 95% as well as the MB MB, but the Diamine a little less so. It worked fine, but it just didn't hit the MB2 standard in my expectation set.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

As always, thanks S1...

I also have a MB149, 1970 present to me, that has used MB black and/or MB2 (Montblanc Midnight Blue) for many years. I am using the MB2 a little more sparingly now to stretch it out (I don't have a spare bottle.) However, the MB has also worked beautifully with Diamine Registrars and with vintage Waterman blue-black, which was IG. I would say the Waterman worked 95% as well as the MB MB, but the Diamine a little less so. It worked fine, but it just didn't hit the MB2 standard in my expectation set.

Tim

Hi,

You're welcome!

Many thanks for sharing your experiences. :thumbup:

I've not had the good fortune to use vintage I-G inks, though your experience encourages me to cast an eye about for the vintage Waterman BlBk when I'm out looking for Parker Quink BlBk with SOLV-X to fuel my Sonnet.

I share your experience and opinion with regards to the Diamine RI : it doesn't jangle my bangles; likewise the discontinued Lamy BlBk c/w I-G. Neither of those scaled the heights to reach the MB149, but only on basis of appearance.

When time & tides allow, I just might get some DRI to start another set of trials blending I-G inks with simple aniline dye inks, but that seems well over the horizon.

Bye,

S1

Thank you!

Sandy1, your input means quite a lot as I first became aware of ESSRI via your corkingly thorough review.

S1 -- it also occurred to me that Pelikan blue-black, which is not IG, is also quite nice in the wet 149, but just not the same as an IG.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Thank you!

Sandy1, your input means quite a lot as I first became aware of ESSRI via your corkingly thorough review.

Hi,

You're welcome!

That Ink Review was quite thorough, and augmented with other Topics such as the dilution sets and the blending trials. But what put the Review over the top are the amazing contributions from other Members who also seek inky enjoyment, and accept the bit of extra vigilance to achieve that.

Bye,

S1

S1 -- it also occurred to me that Pelikan blue-black, which is not IG, is also quite nice in the wet 149, but just not the same as an IG.

Tim

Hi,

Yes indeed, P4BlBk is an impressive ink, which resides above the clouds on my ink shelves. Somewhere down the track I mentioned "when you're out of P4BlBk you're out of ink."

Member The Good Captain contributed the Topic 'If Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black isn't iron-gall, what is it?' in the ICS&T Forum, which explores that ink's emulation of an I-G ink. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/265194-if-pelikan-4001-blue-black-isnt-iron-gall-then-what-is-it/?p=2968199

Bye,

S1