Writing In Top Bound Spiral Notebooks

Citygirl

I mean the reporters notebook that flips over. I like the freedom of writing in them but its a faff turning them round to the read the other side of the pages, unlike a side bound book where you just flip the pages across.

Those of you who use these types of pads, do you write on a page and then turn it round and write on the other side or do you write on the other side from the top of the page so you just open the page and read from the top if you know what I mean.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• Citygirl

• inkypete

• RudyR

This is my preferred format for a notebook. I will usually just flip and write on the other page, but on occasions I will flip the pad over and write on the other side of the paper........just because.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

When I read my writings in a topbound notebook later on I want to be able to see two pages at a time and read continuously from the top down. Also it's easier to flip or rifle through pages and quick-scan the contents if the writing is top down two pages at a time. Having the spiral at the top to avoid bumping into it while writing sounds good, but not if I have to flip the notebook back and forth later on to review what I've written.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Why not just flip, write on the next page, then when the book is filled, turn it around and write from back to front, still flipping, that way you don't have to turn the thing around every page?

Why not just flip, write on the next page, then when the book is filled, turn it around and write from back to front, still flipping, that way you don't have to turn the thing around every page?

My second glass of wine is kicking in. Bear with me. With your plan I'm not envisioning how I see two continuous pages of writing, top to bottom. It seems like only one page. For me, the primary advantage of the topbound notebook is this ability to open it and read the two pages as if it were one long page.

I use one of the disc systems and when I get to the end of the page, I "tear" it off, reattach it with the back showing. You only see one side at a time, but you don't have to flip the pad over.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Top-bound notebooks, when originally used for shorthand, were written in the way Kristene described. This was for speed of writing. I am not drawn to them for journaling in because of the awkwardness of writing on the second side of the page. My grandmother used to journal in a side bound by writing on the right side all the way through, then starting from the back writing on the "back" side. I guess whatever "flows" for you is the way to go.

Top-bound notebooks, when originally used for shorthand, were written in the way Kristene described. This was for speed of writing. I am not drawn to them for journaling in because of the awkwardness of writing on the second side of the page. My grandmother used to journal in a side bound by writing on the right side all the way through, then starting from the back writing on the "back" side. I guess whatever "flows" for you is the way to go.

Agreed. I spent many years using legal pads in the manner I described—starting on the front side of the first sheet, flipping it up/forward onto the tabletop when filled, writing on the back side of the sheet upside-down, in effect, and then continuing on to the third page without stopping. After the first page, all through the pages in the pad, whatever I was working on was reviewable two pages at a time, just as one does with an opened-up sidebound notebook, and I became accustomed to this. I still use legal pads, and I still use them in the same way. Old habits, I suppose. Anyway, a topbound notebook, either casebound or wire, does what I want even better than a legal pad. The top of a legal pad isn't easy to write over. It's much easier to write over that little crease between pages in a casebound reporter's notebook. Even a wire binding is easier to deal with.

A gazillion years ago when I took shorthand in high school, we were taught to write on one side of the paper until we reached the end of the notebook, then flip it over and write on the other side of each page going back in the other direction.

"Don't be humble, you're not that great." Golda Meir

They are great for lefties!

"We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Thanks for your replies. I am left handed actually. I've just tried to write in a top bound spiral pad but when I flip the page and write from the top down the spiral at the bottom of the pad gets in the way.

I use topbound pads on occasion for journaling as well. I stick to graph or dotpads. I turn them sideways with the binding on my left and use them as sidebounds. If you are a lefty could you do the same but put the binding on the right?

I use an A6 casebound for notes at work kept in the top pocket of my overalls. Easiest thing, flip open, write on top page, carry on to bottom page, repeat as necessary. Starting at one end using the bottom page then turning it over seems illogical and counter-productive but each to his own.

Born British, English by the Grace of God.

I only write on one side of the paper in these pads. If they are plain I sometimes write in them on both sides with the long side towards me.