Welcome to the Esterbrook Forum!

Brian Anderson

Welcome Everyone!

This forum will be for the discussion of perhaps one of the most underrated pens of all time, Esterbrook! If you have a love for these great pens feel free to post your discussions here. I'll be your guide down this path to the dark side, and hope to learn something from these discussions as well.

I've been collecting Esterbrook since 1997 and have gathered a few examples here and there. :D My specialty, if I have one, lies in early models, particularly Relief and the early eyedropper models, but I can still be found carrying a plain old J around from time to time.

I'll throw out some starter topics in the next day and hope the large Esterbrook fan base here at FPN will chime in. We've had some interesting discussions in the past and hope to have more to come.

So, whether your interest is in trying the various styles of re-new-points, collecting the J series, the hard core collector, or anything in between, Welcome, and let the games begin!

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• gweimer1

• Brian Anderson

• river1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great! Always thought there ought to be an Esterbrook forum, considering all the discussions they generate!

Here's a thought: what about one of the kind admins searching through the old content in some of the other forums (fora?) and moving some relevant content over to here? Makes sense, no?

Way to go Brian.

I have loved the critters since my first one in grade school. I also remember mom using one for as long as I can remember.

My favorites include the rippled pens - particularly the J. I have picked up a few dollar pens, and even a couple of the bandless ones but I don't have many newer than those models.

I am keeping my eyes open for the Relief pens, since I hear the nibs are pretty nice, but they are less frequently available I find.

Looking forward to seeing the whole Estie gang hanging out here and trading stories as well as info and experiences with them all.

Cheers,

Gerry

Here's a thought: what about one of the kind admins searching through the old content in some of the other forums (fora?) and moving some relevant content over to here? Makes sense, no?

I'd second that idea.

Perhaps we could help a little by cruising around and identifying the major threads that might be the most interesting. Would save some hapless admin some search time I'd guess...

Gerry

I'd second that idea.

Perhaps we could help a little by cruising around and identifying the major threads that might be the most interesting. Would save some hapless admin some search time I'd guess...

Gerry

I posted some threads that were not yet transferred in the "Stray Esterbrook Threads" thread...

Thanks in advance to Brian and Gerry for taking on moderator responsibilities for this great new forum! There seem to be quite a few Esterbrook collectors in the pen world (and certainly here on FPN) so I think this forum was almost overdue! :D

Coincidentally, my friend's mother gave me her green Esterbrook J (with 2314-F nib!) yesterday when she heard that I was a fountain pen collector. It's in great shape and just needs a resack :)

Holy cow, I go away for a few hours and there's all these redirected threads here. Imagine the look on my face when I check in while at work to see if anyone noticed the new forum, only to find 16 threads with 207 replies. :D

Good to keep all the nuts in the same place, that's really why FPN did this I think. :)

I'm hoping to sneak out of work early today so I can go home and take some pics. I've got a J almost completely disassembled I think would make for a good photo.

Best-

Brian

WOW!!!! I was pleasantly surprised to find we have an Esterbrook forum when I checked in this evening. Was just thinking when the Cross forum appeared that it would be nice to have one for Esterbrook fans.

Thanks Brian and Gerry for taking this on. :)

Ann

An Estie forum! Sweeeeeeeet!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hey Brian!

Great to have a forum dedicated to what IMHO is the most beautiful, best engineered Fountain Pen System of all time! Great to have a reference place to learn more, even though some of us are quiet in tune with the history of the company and the pen models available, about such a great Pen! Congrats, and will look fore to reading more and more. I could not have wished for a more perfect guide, :Spiritual Leader" than you when it comes to Esties! I still drool at night when I think about the examples you brought over to the hotel to show me! Great to see your knowledge and Estie Gospel spread!

Regards,

Way to go Angelo, and congrats for posting...

Sheesh, I never knew anyone with your experience - nor tenacity in returning to the FPN. I'm impressed it was to the Estie section...

Wonderful you and Angelo are close enough to visit - I don't think anyone regularly posting to the FPN lives near enough to me for that...

Best Regards

Gerry

Welcome Back Angelo! I hope your recovery is coming along. Hopefully a little Esterbrook diversion will be just what the doctor ordered. :)

As for the gospel, I wonder what Richard Esterbrook himself would have to say about all this. :) He probably had no idea people 150 years later would be so excited about the product he made.

If you ever happen to be in the WI area, I can show a few more esterbrook that I wasn't able/willing to bring to Chicago with me. Some definite drool potential. :) That offer goes for everyone of course, just make sure to bring your own show and tell. :)

Wishing you all the best in your recovery-

Brian

• 4 years later...

Of all the fountain pens I have ever owned I have to say that my Esterbrooks are my all time favorites. I bought and used 3 wonderful Esterbrooks when I was in college an eon or two ago. I can't believe that I have not been fully utilizing them for so many years, a situation which is now being corrected. I also can't believe that this totally outstanding forum site has been around for this long and I've only just now found it! You folks in here ROCK! Thanks so much for this awesome site!!

She who laughs, lasts 61106869_10219479460406206_6753598647167

• 5 months later...

I began collecting vintage fountain pens about two years ago. I have a dozen Esterbrooks that I think are model J. Also have a plunger type and couple converters one. They are all in working order. I would like to learn more about the pens and the nibs. Fountain pen collecting is a lot fun, I want to learn too about collecting.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• 11 months later...

Iam brand new the Fountain Pen network and fountain pens in general. I got my first esterbrook just here recently and ever thing you said I found right. I now have a j and an sj and both are a joy to write with. Iam starting to look for some branded esterbrooks cause I think it makes them more interesting. So thanks for the welcome. I hope to be here for a long time. :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Holy cow, I go away for a few hours and there's all these redirected threads here. Imagine the look on my face when I check in while at work to see if anyone noticed the new forum, only to find 16 threads with 207 replies. :D

Good to keep all the nuts in the same place, that's really why FPN did this I think. :)

I'm hoping to sneak out of work early today so I can go home and take some pics. I've got a J almost completely disassembled I think would make for a good photo.

Best-

Brian

I just bought my first Esterbrook from the classifieds and have not received it yet. It will join my Waterman that I received as a gift ten years ago but quit using because the ink kept drying out in the nib.

• 1 year later...

Like River1, I won my first Esterbrook in an auction last night and I stopped by the forum to see what information might be available. It looks like it might be an interesting journey.

Like River1, I won my first Esterbrook in an auction last night and I stopped by the forum to see what information might be available. It looks like it might be an interesting journey.

Good luck with your Estie; mine came from someone from FPN and was professionally "tuned-up" and ready to go. I have been enjoying it with a number of others that have been added to my collection over the past year.

• 1 year later...

Glad there's an Esterbrook forum here! I've admired these pens for some time, but have yet to get my hands on one to properly try out. I'm hoping to come across one sometime soon. I love the simple vintage style and history of these pens.

Glad there's an Esterbrook forum here! I've admired these pens for some time, but have yet to get my hands on one to properly try out. I'm hoping to come across one sometime soon. I love the simple vintage style and history of these pens.

Two directions:

- Check EBay, look for a reconditioned pen. That usually means the sac has been replaced, so it should fill and write when you get it.

- Check Anderson Pens, or any of several respected restorers who sell through FPN. (Note: Brian Anderson is somewhat younfer than his picture. Looks can be fooling)

THEN look for unrestored Esties on EBay. One of the secrets is that Estie-fans have as much fun restoring the pen as writing with it.

A big advantage of the Esterbrook over any "vintage" pen, and most modern pens, is the Renew Point nib. Just unscrew the nib and screw in another: if you don;t like the nib that came with a pen, just find a nib you like and, zippo, you have a better nib.

In fact, Esterbrook advertised their nibs more than their pens...at least from what I can see in old Esterbrooks advertisements on EBay. Their sales-pitch: choose your nib from any of 40 or 50 types. "We are the world's most personalized pen." Then select a pen-body and go home happy.

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Rack up just another 15 non-Chatter subforum posts and you can borrow one for a test write.

(Pinned thread, Estie Loaner Program <Read the first post.>)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl