Zillaxila

So I arrived to the last pen to my collection. Well, I think is going to be the last pen hehehehe....

It is going to be a Japanese branded pen, and I am between the Sailor Professional Gear 21kt Broad nib in black with rhodium trim. Or the Pilot Vanishing Point 18kt Broad nib in gun metal.

The Sailor is priced at $170, and the Pilot at $115.

But I cant decide between the two, what are your recomendations and opinions.....thanks!

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zillaxila

• bk123

• Oranges and Apples

• MBFan

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest Sailor Professional Gear 21kt Broad nib as not everyone is comfortable with grip section of Pilot Vanishing point.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

If you want to use it and operate it with one hand then the Pilot Vanishing Point. If you are going to use it to take notes and use it at a desk then I would recommend the Sailor Professional Gear. But if you have not experienced the Pilot Vanishing Point I recommend that you purchase it because there is nothing like it out there.

I think it would benefit you if you tried the Vanishing Point somewhere, just to make sure the clip doesn't bother you when you grip it for writing.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Go for the Pilot. Less time away from home and better salary........ oh hang on a minute. Disregard this post.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I think it would benefit you if you tried the Vanishing Point somewhere, just to make sure the clip doesn't bother you when you grip it for writing.

I agree -- this is an important thing to consider.

In general, people either like the placement of the clip or they don't, and if you don't like it, you'll wish you tried it before buying it.

Scientia potentia est.

Go for the Pilot. Less time away from home and better salary........ oh hang on a minute. Disregard this post.

It took me a little while to get it because I'm slow that way. FUNNY :lol:

What others have said about the Vanishing Point is true, so do try one out to see whether the clip is going to turn you off.

I have had some Sailors work beautifully out of the box, while others have had to be sent off to the nib meister to get tuned. The Pilots I have bought all work right out of the box. Something else to consider.

Hahahaha funny Pen Nut.

The suggestion to try the vanishing point first is great buuuut I dont have any store that I could try it, i am buying online, so it is dificult for me to try it first, although I think is not going to be a problem for me on the grip.

I like the elegance of the Sailor Professional Gear, and I like the ingenuity of the Pilot Vanishing Point. However, recently I bought a Pelikan M800 which I think is my fav pen till now, and the Sailor resembles the shape and design of the Pelikan a little bit.

The design on the Vanishing Point i am not that in love with, but i admire the thought in design behind it, and is very different from what I have in my collection so far.

I like the 21kt nib design on the Sailor, and the Pilot has a tiny 18kt nib.

Both have great price tags, so there is no problem on that; however the Pilot is $60 less.

I have heard great thing of Sailor nibs, that they are the smoothest and I really want to try a 21kt nib.

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

The 21kt nib on the Sailor is dreamy. It has a small sweet spot but if you maintain it it works incredibly well, even on terrible paper (the springyness seems to absorb tooth). I have a 14kt Pilot Customer 742 with a PO nib and it is just as enjoyable. However, the fit and finish of it is something I wouldn't put over Sailor. The Sailor feels incredibly well built and sturdy. I don't have experience with the VP but I guess it'll come down to this. Is the increased practicality of the VP worth it over the looks and nib of the Sailor? Try a VP before you make a decision. If you enjoy classic looking pens, the Sailor PG is absolutely the way to go.

I love both pens. I cannot see choosing between them, but instead using both of them. In the end, as much as I do love my Vp for its functionality, it takes second place. The Sailor Pro Gear is a beautiful pen in terms of style, as well as performance. In the long run, cleaning out the trap door area of ink is a little more work (though that will only be once in a while, unless you bang it around on your desk frequently), though not enough to take away points.