Japanese Fountain Pen For Student

R201

@Algester: I think that there are at least 3 models of VP style pens I know of, which is the "Capless", "Decimo" and "Fermo", basically the Capless has the same clip as the Fermo, and in terms of weight, only the twist mechanism of the Fermo adds more weight to it. The Decimo clip seems to be unique, neither Capless or Fermo feature that one. Moreover, the Decimor is lighter in weight and has a touch less diameter of the barrel I guess.

ok apparently your used to how Pilot USA names their pens to straight things out

Elabo is the Japanese Name for the Falcon

Capless is the Japanese name for the VP

VP/Capless comes in 2 varieties fermo and decimo

what the 2 pens differ is the mechanism at the back it could change their over all dimension but the front part is untouched by the designers for fermo and decimo also fermo being a newer model has lesser amount of color selection to the decimo which now has a limited version stealth and gunmetal finish as well as the metallic color finishes and Raden

the pens that still have the unchanged names are

Custom Heritage 92

Custom 823

Custom Heritage 95 AKA Justus or the Justus 95

the design for the custom heritage and Custom series also differs

Custom Heritage has more of the "modern" look by being a flaptop and the sword clip and rhodium fittings and nib

Custom series has a more "retro" look to it being cigar shaped with a ball type clip and golden fittings and nib

which also means that Custom Heritage 912 has a sister pen in the form of the Custom 742

Edited by Algester

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R201

• Algester

• parnesh

• rutherfordr

Well, I'm used to how Pilot USA names them, so I just described how the differ style wise. For me, there are 3 different styles available, which is the "big" clip with knob at the end, the clip with no knob and the clip with knob and twist mechanism. The colours differ, too but that aside, there are 3 models. However, that's not the point of the thread ; ). I will ask for model names (if they differ from japanese ones) when I decided which one I'd like.

Capless is the Japanese name for the VP

VP/Capless comes in 2 varieties fermo and decimo

what the 2 pens differ is the mechanism at the back it could change their over all dimension but the front part is untouched by the designers for fermo and decimo also fermo being a newer model has lesser amount of color selection to the decimo which now has a limited version stealth and gunmetal finish as well as the metallic color finishes and Raden

You are confusing things. "Capless" refers to both the "VP" models: the standard, heavier and fatter model, and the slimmer, lighter "Decimo." The Decimo does not come in a raden finish; the standard comes in 3 different raden finishes. The Fermo is the twisty one and only comes in a limited number of colors.

ETA: Only the standard VP comes in the all black stealth, gunmetal, and now lighter colored finishes. I'm talking current production here...

Edited by ehemem

@cbrand493: £100 = 124€, 168$ is 124€, too. What version are we talking about here? The Rhodium trim one or the gold ones? If it's the gold ones, I could get them for around 90$, so the cost remains the same, even with shipping cost and VAT on top. The Rhodium Trim one would then cost less.

Edited by R201

You are confusing things. "Capless" refers to both the "VP" models: the standard, heavier and fatter model, and the slimmer, lighter "Decimo." The Decimo does not come in a raden finish; the standard comes in 3 different raden finishes. The Fermo is the twisty one and only comes in a limited number of colors.

ETA: Only the standard VP comes in the all black stealth, gunmetal, and now lighter colored finishes. I'm talking current production here...

ok I stand corrected then... bleh...

@cbrand493: £100 = 124€, 168$ is 124€, too. What version are we talking about here? The Rhodium trim one or the gold ones? If it's the gold ones, I could get them for around 90$, so the cost remains the same, even with shipping cost and VAT on top. The Rhodium Trim one would then cost less.

Just the standard gold trim #3776 Century Cult Pens sell.

I think you can get platinum 3776 or pilot custom 74/91 less than 150 euros if you Buy directly from Global.rakuten.com/en

Marketplace I have personally bought my pilots from shops there

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

@maverink: I know that shop, I'll see what they offer. The search engine they use is kinda bad though. Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I've tested the Vanishing Point. It is an excellent fountain pen, however the clip placement distracted me so Pilot is out of the available range. Thanks for all the support so far. I will definately reply when I've decided which one to pick, review coming soon after that.

Edited by R201

That's not unusual. People either like the clip on the VP, or they really don't like it --- there's very little in-between.

And if you don't like the Vanishing Point, you're not going to like the Fermo, either.

Personally, I'd recommend the Pilot Custom Heritage 912, because IMO Pilot makes fantastic nibs.

Scientia potentia est.

@rutherfordr: Well, it's not like I don't "like" the nib placement at all, but my pen grip just doesn't want it in that place : /. The Pilot Custom Heritage 912 is one of the few pens available with all the features I want and it is available on many shops, too. I tried to get my hands on a Sailor or Platinum, but without PayPal or a Credit Card it is almost impossible to get, especially the ones with rhodium trim and an extra-fine nib. I still think that the Vanishing Point is a nice pen, but I can't adjust to it, I wanted to be really honest to myself, so I asked myself: "Will I be able to use this pen everyday even if the clip is slightly in the way?" - Clear answer: No, it is not comfortable enough for me.

I have another thing in mind right now, thinking of a simple regrind of an European fountain pen, which will be easier to accomplish. The variety of design options and material on European Fountain pens is great, and they are of course easier to get. If it is going that way, I'll have to say goodbye to japanese fountain pens, at least for now.