Diamine Red Dragon

yogalarva

Just posted this review over on my blog and figured I would put it up here too. :-)

As a TA, I’m always on the lookout for a brightly colored ink for grading. Unlike at my brother’s school, we have no rules prohibiting us from grading in red but I usually try to avoid it purely for the sake of variety. Still, this was a good color for grading but otherwise it was just meh.

fpn_1402401579__diamine_red_dragon.jpeg

Haha, please excuse my poor drawing skills! Like I wrote, this was overall a pretty well behaved ink. I would imagine that it doesn’t have much for water resistance (not many red inks I’ve seen do, unless they are Noodler’s), but for quickly jotting down a grade or annotating a manuscript, moisture might not be a huge threat.

fpn_1402401660__diamine_red_dragon_up_cl

Unfortunately, there just wasn’t anything that special about this ink. It’s good, it behaves well, and it’s very red. Diamine inks are also pretty cheap both here in the States and in the UK, so if you have a need for a lot of red ink and you don’t need it to do anything special, I recommend this ink. For me, though, it’s not the one true red

This ink was generously provided to me by a reader as a gift and I am in no way being compensated for this review. All opinions above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheModernGent

• Jamerelbe

• yogalarva

• Coop

Top Posters In This Topic

I really really like this ink - it was one of the first colours I bought when I started getting back into fountain pens. It's not even a little bit waterproof - which is why it tends to get less use (by me) than Noodler's Red-Black - but I love the rich darkness and the undeniably smooth flow. Different strokes, I guess, for different folks?

My Red Dragon Dragon drawing skills aren't anything to write home about either. Still a nice ink though. I like how it looks like blood when used on a ivory coloured paper :P

13853682293_4022a0c2c5_z.jpg

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Hmm, I was torn between this and Oxblood, after seeing your review I think I'm going to go with Oxblood. Red Dragon looks like is has a touch too much orange in if for my liking.

Thanks for the review, love the dragons!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

My Red Dragon Dragon drawing skills aren't anything to write home about either. Still a nice ink though. I like how it looks like blood when used on a ivory coloured paper :P

13853682293_4022a0c2c5_z.jpg

That is an adorable dragon. I'd enjoy hanging out with him on Tuesday nights. He looks like he'd enjoy some chicken wings and lime soda.

Hmm, I was torn between this and Oxblood, after seeing your review I think I'm going to go with Oxblood. Red Dragon looks like is has a touch too much orange in if for my liking.

Thanks for the review, love the dragons!

They are both great inks. Oxblood is quite dark; you can see it next to Red Dragon here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/250366-all-diamine-inks-compared/?do=findComment&comment=2743273

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Nice red dragon. My favourite red ink is still Montblanc Alfred Hitchcock and I have only 2 bottles left in my stockpile.