"shipping To Conus Only"

kid31

Of all my pen and ink related purchases, only two have been here in Canada. The only time I never received my parcel was for a Waterman lapel pin from ebay,fr. Since it was only a Euro I didn't pursue it. He offered me something else from his shop but there was nothing I wanted, I told him take my Euro and buy someone a coffee that can't buy themselves one.

CONUS I can understand to a degree, but of course I'm not going to pay $20 shipping for a $20 pen. That would be silliness on my part. On ebay things are usually negotiable, if one has a clean buying record. I would venture to say that the same applies here in the Classifieds.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LBpens

• OcalaFlGuy

• Chrissy

• DrRoger

Top Posters In This Topic

The only binding component is the integrity of both buyer and seller to honor their agreement as to assignment of risk. I was working with a buyer in California who asked me to ship to China at a lower declared value and because we'd done some business I agreed to do so. When the package did not arrive, despite our agreement the customer filed a paypal claim and I lost well over $1000.

Lesson learned. That buyer can find another source of Sheaffer new old stock, because I won't sell to him again. No integrity, no business.

Teri

Bingeux! :thumbup:

Surely you don't think Customers are the Only ones with Do Not Do Business With lists...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

My actual cost for shipping one pen in a small box to addresses outside the United States is $8.88 plus around $2 for insurance, so a charge of $9 or $10 seems only fair since US customers get free shipping. This is the least expensive method and takes 2-3 weeks, but it's not trackable. Most customers opt for this method. Sellers charging more are probably using Priority Mail or Express.

Teri

And your Canadian customers appreciate your efforts in this regard as well.

As your other message details, it is a matter of trust. If a seller affords a buyer the trust of using the cheapest shipping, and it's known to be problem free, of course that trust shouldn't be betrayed. Having a relationship like this with vendors is like a good mechanic, you don't want to mess that up.

Honour is going the way of the dinosaur in this world, sad to say: far too many scoundrels, both buying and selling. But Ms. Teri, you are a gem.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

No I haven't changed anything. I don't care enough about the topic to go back through to figure out what you're talking about.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You don't have to go back I'll help. I said paypal will not listen to a seller's claim that the buyer agreed to take responsibility for shipping and non-receipt. They would always side with the buyer. You said that wasn't true, and asked for it to be backed up. It has been backed up repeatedly by multiple posters..Now you seem to have changed your position. I hope you have changed it or if not, you will explain to those of us who do care why we are wrong.

Save the Wahls!

I'm sorry to hear that people have had bad experience with buyers - so much of the business of acquiring great pens from sellers relies on trust and bad buyers ruin it for everyone. That's stating the obvious I know, but I've 'met' so many good people in this hobby/obsession. I'm going to continue asking if people will consider selling to the UK if they have a pen I'd like, but now I know the reasoning behind the 'no'. Finally can I just add to the positive comments re Peyton Street Pens - consistently excellent.

You don't have to go back I'll help. I said paypal will not listen to a seller's claim that the buyer agreed to take responsibility for shipping and non-receipt. They would always side with the buyer. You said that wasn't true, and asked for it to be backed up. It has been backed up repeatedly by multiple posters..Now you seem to have changed your position. I hope you have changed it or if not, you will explain to those of us who do care why we are wrong.

Somehow, I must have misread your original post. We ARE in agreement.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Let's not draw too fine a point on the buyer/seller distinction. With pens, all sellers are or were buyers, and most buyers will become sellers. The various systems that we have to rely on to transact pens - postal services, ebay, paypal, customs etc, all have their nuances that create opportunities for a bad player wanting to conduct a scam. With ebay in the early days, the scams were all on the sell side. Buyers had little recourse. Ebay decided to (IMO) knee-jerk respond to that by leaning entirely to the buyer which, of course, created a new set of scam opportunities on the buy side. The reality of physically moving goods has not caught up with the technology of marketing pens, or the technology of transferring money.

Maybe someday we'll be able to use molecular transport to ship pens. But I suppose if we could do that, we could just replicate them for ourselves. :)

Save the Wahls!