The Lamy Dialog 3, Initial Impressions And Review

BT-7274

As of today, I am now a proud owner of a shiny, new Lamy Dialog 3 in Palladium with a broad nib. As it is somewhat debated on whether this pen is really worth the price tag or not, I figured a first impressions review was in order. :)

Initial Impression, Taking the pen out for the first time...

The packaging for the pen was really quite simple - a white, cardboard sleeve over a simple two-piece box. However, once you slide off the sleeve and open the box, you're greeted with a cartridge, and papers, which for me, masked the actual pen case.

Removing the peripherals such as a stamped warranty card from Bromfield Pen Show (no affiliation, but really great folks there), reveals the simple, understated pen case. My first thoughts really were, ooh, can I put glasses in this case? Sadly, no, as it's a bit too thin.

IMG_20140609_170115.jpg

...Of course, now comes the pen itself.

The Pen...

Upon taking it out of the case, the first thing I thought was heavy. Oof! 35 grams? This thing weighs a boatload in the hand, when you're not using it at least. However, once I settled into my normal writing position, I immediately thought to myself, 'wait, where did the weight go?!' The reason for this is the balance - the D3 is definitely a pen that balances towards the front, moreso than the unposted Lamy 2000.

The retractable mechanism, I find is slightly...Rough, but to a point it makes you feel like you're operating something mechanical, not electrical. It's very reminiscent of...Oh, say, a well maintained bike, for me, at least. There's always some slight friction to it, but, if maintained and made well, you always get a sense of quality and reliability each time you use it. It's the same here, a rough, mechanical charm to it. And yes, it has an o-ring on the back barrel, which I supposed is to help with sealing issues. Not that I've run into any.

While some people might find it an ugly pen, I personally found it quite refreshing to look at in the face of all of my vintage examples - it stands for something new, modern, and elegant without being obtrusive about it. And I haven't even gotten to the nib yet.

IMG_20140609_170252.jpg

IMG_20140609_170315.jpg

IMG_20140609_170211.jpg

The Nib

The nib is Lamy's 'standard' 14k nib that you'll find on all models starting from the Studio Palladium and up, with exception to the Lamy 2000 and many vintage Lamys. That said however, mine, a 14k broad, is a soft, springy beast that writes a lovely wet line. No tuning or smoothing was needed out of the box.

IMG_20140609_165958.jpg

Of course, it's now inked up, writing well with some DC Supershow Blue. Of which I'm running low on, but that's besides the point. If you're wondering about dry-out at this point...Well, I'll have to get back to you on that. I did just get this pen, after all.

Filling

Simple. A very well hidden cartridge/converter system, proprietary to Lamy. That said, it does seem a little limited, so, I'm tempted to try to find a vintage Parker converter to try to cram that in, considering their slightly increased capacity and compatibility. Parker and Lamy converters can be used both ways, in my experience. That said, the converter does exhibit some slight resistance to turning, but not much. I may recoat the piston with some 100% pure silicone grease again, at some point.

IMG_20140609_190932.jpg

Cost

Overall, the pen cost me a grand total of $335 after tax. While yes, I'm aware that online, it can be had for much less, I wanted to support my local pen store and also have a place where I could easily get service, if needed. For the price, I certainly feel that it was very worthwhile. The pen certain feels like it was fully worth the value, and writes like a pen of this price range should - smoothly and reliably. I'll be adding a writing sample later, but these are my first impressions of the one pen I've wanted for this year.

Edit:

Here's some more comparison photos, next to some well known pens.

All torpedo tubes loaded, sir...

IMG_20140610_161124.jpg

Torpedoes armed!

IMG_20140610_161435%20(1).jpg

So much 14k gold...With two exceptions.

IMG_20140610_161455.jpg

And of course, a writing sample. Something tells me working retail and then trying to write in an exhausted state isn't the best idea, but...Oh well?

Paper is standard Clairefontaine notebook paper. 90 grams/sq metre, lined paper.

Writing%20Sample%20(1).jpeg

Transcript of small sample:

As the demon sleeps, man turns on man
His own blood and madness soon cover the earth
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

-the Legend of Razgriz, from a certain fairy tale.

Edited by White Expressions

Calculating.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BT-7274

• watch_art

• Algester

• strictlyobiter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really want one of these. I've got one in my box for a nib grind and while using it I did have dryout issues. It seems like it could benefit from a cup of water to help it get going. Other than that it is a great pen. But that's a big "that".

I really want one of these. I've got one in my box for a nib grind and while using it I did have dryout issues. It seems like it could benefit from a cup of water to help it get going. Other than that it is a great pen. But that's a big "that".

I think the issue is fairly intermittent and somewhat uncommon; I just left my D3 overnight and it started up without any hesitation. Then again, I put Noodler's BSAR in it, which is really dry-out resistant, but even so. I did ask Bromfield and they said for everyone single D3 they've ever sold, not one has come back for such issues. Maybe I lucked out...?

while I'm going to get one for that coveted gold nib and chuck that into my Logo

Funny you mention that...I recall someone shoving a Hero 200 nib on a Lamy Safari. Yes, those Chinese 14k nibs fit, as it would turn out. Similar-enough nib shape. Even cheaper than getting a Palladium studio too!

Calculating.

I think the issue is fairly intermittent and somewhat uncommon; I just left my D3 overnight and it started up without any hesitation. Then again, I put Noodler's BSAR in it, which is really dry-out resistant, but even so. I did ask Bromfield and they said for everyone single D3 they've ever sold, not one has come back for such issues. Maybe I lucked out...?

Funny you mention that...I recall someone shoving a Hero 200 nib on a Lamy Safari. Yes, those Chinese 14k nibs fit, as it would turn out. Similar-enough nib shape. Even cheaper than getting a Palladium studio too!

I still like the gold nib 2-tone look which the Hero 200 doesnt give

Nice review, I love the Dialog 3. I've tested the pen a few times in a few different B&Ms but it's just too awkward for my hand. Those gold nibs are a dream though. Well wear.

Updated with a small writing sample and pictures next to the rest of my collection. :)

Calculating.

I really want one of these. I have only ever bought one expensive fountain pen, a Visconti. This might be the second.

I like how you chose to support a local brick and mortar store. I do too. I know we like to talk about online deals but I can't imagine what it would be like without a good local store.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: a little something I figured I'd try after getting my most recent purchase, a Parker 75 Cisélé in the mail.

You know how you can't see through the converter, but know it holds way too little ink?

IMG_20140704_175016.jpg

Solution: shove a Parker Squeeze converter in it and call it a day.

Calculating.

Great review with amusing pictures and ingenious converter swap.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?