Wanting An Inexpensive 1.1Mm Italic To Take Noodlers Bulletproof Ink

Jumpmonkey

I'd like a 1.1mm Italic nib pen to run some Bad Black Mockasin.

I'll use it for document signing and other such stuff, so nothing ridiculous looking.

$50 absolute tops

What are your recommendations? Please no Kaweco's!

Thanks,

Adam

He who controls the ink controls the universe!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jumpmonkey

• Ambien

• lynxcat

• WaskiSquirrel

Lamy Safari 1.1 stub

Twsbi 1.1 stub

Pilot 78G B

Nemosine Singularity .8 stub

Pilot Parallel

Sheaffer No Nonsense italic

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Lamy Al Star w/1.1

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Italic Parson's Essential

Noodler's Konrad or Ahab (the ebonite Konrad is nice) with Goulet 1.1 mms stub

If you're really trying to keep the costs down, the Lamy 1.1 Safari would probably be the easiest bet.

The Noodlers Konrad with a Goulet stub would be the most fun.

i don't know how wide the Pilot 78G "B" nib is exactly, but it's probably the cheapest stub you'll find that's still a decent quality. it's on my own "want" list at present.

The Noodlers Konrad with the Goulet stub is an excellent pen, great looks, and writes well. Pretty much matched to the Noodlers Inks, as well. If you pick up one, be sure to clean thoroughly and heat-set the nib and feed. See Brian Goulet's short video on how to heat-set the nib with hot water. Very easy and very informative. After cleaning and heat-setting, should be ready to fill and write. If the flow is not exactly what you want, a bit of fiddling with the nib and feed should get it just right.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Pilot Plumix, though to be fair I don't like the look of the pen at all. But that nib is nice (if a touch smaller at 1.0mm). If you want you can buy a Pilot Metropolitan and swap nibs with the nib on the Plumix.

Other good option would be a Nemosine Singularity and swap the nib with a #6 in the 1.1 variety (both available at xfountainpens). You can also do this with a Jinhao X750 IIRC.

Edited by mikeschu

Whoever suggested Noodler's Konrad with a Goulet nib has it right. Best of all, you can try out other nibs in the future if you want. Another option is a Jinhao 450 with a Goulet nib. (I think the Noodler's pen writes a little wetter, but that's a personal preference.)

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

+1 on the Lamy safari. It's C/C so if the converter got horribly stained and that bothered you, could easily get a new one. And new, non stained nibs can be had for around £3.

i don't know how wide the Pilot 78G "B" nib is exactly, but it's probably the cheapest stub you'll find that's still a decent quality. it's on my own "want" list at present.

I was curious, so I got out my pen and calipers. My measurement of the nib was 0.991 mm. I concur on your assessment--this is a great pen at a low price.

DB

It's already been said, but I'll bring it up again; TWSBI.com

After looking around I'm not certain I want to roll with a Konrad. The reviews seem to be quite the mixed bag so far.

Will the Lamy Safari/AL handle the Noodlers ink? I'm leaning more toward the AL, should last forever +.

Is there a reason why I should prefer a TWSBI over a Lamy? This pen is probably going to see a lot of pocket time, not sure how or if that matters between the TWSBI/Lamy

Thanks everyone,

Adam

He who controls the ink controls the universe!

I would go for a TWSBI 1,1 as well, any model. Wet nibs, nice FP and a very good value for the money

After looking around I'm not certain I want to roll with a Konrad. The reviews seem to be quite the mixed bag so far.

Will the Lamy Safari/AL handle the Noodlers ink? I'm leaning more toward the AL, should last forever +.

Is there a reason why I should prefer a TWSBI over a Lamy? This pen is probably going to see a lot of pocket time, not sure how or if that matters between the TWSBI/Lamy

Thanks everyone,

Adam

Well, nothing lasts forever unfortunately. I think the Lamy/Al handle most ink well for a C/C because it's simple and easy to clean between fills. TWSBI feels more reliable IMHO since it's piston filler but they do have price gap from each other. I think at the end of the day it won't matter that much unless you dislike the triangular grip of Lamy.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

I recently purchased the Jinhao x750 with a Goulet 1.1 nib and I love it. I'd suggest looking into that combo.

Will the Lamy Safari/AL handle the Noodlers ink?

There should be no problem with Noodler's ink. It's ink, after all. Just be aware if you are buying one of the special inks.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Thanks everyone,

Adam

TWSBI tends to have really solid performance, every time. They have less variation between two identical products. TWSBI is excellent value for your money. Having said that, for bulletproof inks in a pen you want to carry with you, I would go with the LAMY - I would hate for my clear TWSBI to get stained from the ink... And the Lamy is much more affordable. If I am keeping a pen in my pocket, I'd much rather it be a €15 pen than a €40 pen.

I actually find the plastic safari to be more durable as an every day carry. The metal on my al-star is extremely prone to dings and scratches. They are only cosmetic in nature, but still. I also wouldn't get the white safari as it is prone to staining. You shouldn't have problems with the brand of ink. Just take the same precautions that you would with any bulletproof ink - clean your pen every couple of fills and not store the ink in the pen long term (say in a drawer for several months).

As for the Konrad - very fun to play with and practice calligraphy with, not so good for actual writing. They tend to flow pretty wet. Also. Because they are made from natural materials, they tend to have a certain aroma... Plus you never know how high quality the paper of document you are signing was made from, and it would be awful if your pens bled through. Mine is also susceptible to rather serious nib creep if it isn't stored nib up all of the time.

If it's gonna be in a pocket most of the time I'd go with the Lamy. Solid, reliable. I find the 1.1mm italic a bit mean though, the 1.5mm is great for signatures.

I actually own a TWSBI and a Konrad w/ Goulet stub, both in 1.1mm stubs but I don't think they're as workhorse-alike as the Lamy. I wouldn't even get an Al-Star, maybe a charcoal Safari.