How To Authenticate Large Size Boheme Fp?

Chrissy

I would love to know how to 100% guarantee that a Boheme selling as the large size with a converter is authentic. I'm very untrusting about them when I see them. Especially when the converter doesn't look authentic.

Can you only tell by the length?

Does anyone know if they were only ever made with plain clips or did any have coloured clip stones?

Here is one I found on ebay

For a start it has platinised trim with a red clip stone, so that's not normal as the red stone pen usually comes with yellow gold plated trim. Then the converter doesn't look authentic.

I can't see much of the nib to comment on that, nor can I see any serial #.

Should I be thinking fake?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• JLS1

• OngSH

• Mister Mont Blanc

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were interested in that auction I'd contact the seller and ask them to send me some very specific detailed photos as the ones in their auction are shockingly poor. By specific detailed photos I mean that I'd ask for photos of certain parts of the pen.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

If I were interested in that auction I'd contact the seller and ask them to send me some very specific detailed photos as the ones in their auction are shockingly poor. By specific detailed photos I mean that I'd ask for photos of certain parts of the pen.

+1 for the above.

Also AFAIK the retractable Bohemes are cartridge-only pens (including the XL size) and can't take a converter so I'm be curious about what the converter is doing there. (OTOH, if it's a non-retractable Boheme, this might be OK...I don't enough about these pens) FWIW, it doesn't scream 'fake!' but there's some questions I'd want answered (and better pictures provided) before bidding on it.

I read from another post that the XL Boheme always has a plain clip. Search the forum, there was a very detailed thread about this.

Edited by luckduck369

I read a thread about them, but it didn't say that they only came in one colour.

I like my Boheme, but it's very small. I'm sure I would like the bigger version more, and having a converter allows the use of ink in bottles too. Perfect.

I'm confident that the largest size has a fixed nib and takes a converter. I'm just not sure what colours it comes in

Edited by Chrissy

FWIW, I think this is the thread you are referring to. AFAIK, the XL version of the Boheme came in retractable and non-retractable versions at one time but I think that only the non-retractable version is still available. (I'm always on the hunt for the XL retractable version...)

Oh, that's easy: it if for sure not a real Big Boheme - because it's no Big Boheme at all.

- The normal (and actual) one has the retractable nib

- The Big Boheme (that is out of production) also has a retractable nib - and also a flat clip

Both do not allow the use of a converter - it would be too long.

Only the medium one has a non-retractable nib and allows the use of a converter.

From my point of view it's a "Medium"

Edited by Tombstone

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Oh, that's easy: it if for sure not a real Big Boheme - because it's no Big Boheme at all.

- The normal (and actual) one has the retractable nib

- The Big Boheme (that is out of production) also has a retractable nib - and also a flat clip

Both do not allow the use of a converter - it would be too long.

Only the medium one has a non-retractable nib and allows the use of a converter.

From my point of view it's a "Medium"

Are you saying that the one I found is an authentic medium sized pen? Red stone and platinised metal accents??

Edited by Chrissy

Tombstone is right, Big Bohéme has a retractable nib and can only use cartridges, as the little one. Is the medium size the only one that has not retractable nib and can use a converter as well as cartridges.

Tombstone is right, Big Bohéme has a retractable nib and can only use cartridges, as the little one. Is the medium size the only one that has not retractable nib and can use a converter as well as cartridges.

That is correct. I have the Big (largest size), the demension is very close to 149 and it has retractiable nib. I have seen the fixed nib with convertor before and its same size as the roller ball of the current model. Which by size wise it does fall in the middel.

Edited by kaisede

Yes I believe there are three different sizes of the Boheme fountain pen however, I am not familiar with the differences between them. I would guess the biggest version is the one with no stone and the medium and smaller sized pens have stones (just my guess). This seller may not be aware of the three different sizes.

However Chrissy, even though those photos are horrible and looks like they used a camera filter (??), the converter LOOKS just like mine.

A second note, the box it's in is a fairly older box. I am not sure when these medium and large sized Bohemes were produced but I've always seem them with the newer square black and white boxes that have loose silky material with a plastic clip underneath (the boxes made prior to the current felt/cushioned boxes).

The nib and clip should hopefully tell all so I would ask for good pictures of those and or the pen opened as if putting in a cartridge/converter.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Thanks for that link. I think that was the thread I found, but I failed to spot that it was the medium sized Boheme that has the fixed nib and converter. Now I know that's the case and that it's about as long as the RB